Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best street brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best street brake upgrade

I have been reading all the threads that I can find. Car is 90% street only. maybe do an autoX or track days once a year. I am going to need brakes soon so I was trying to decide if any of the more budget friendly options were worth a damn. Also will need it to fit stock 17" WS6 wheels.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quality blank rotors, quality street pads (Hawk HPS for example).
Old 12-22-2015, 04:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I have a lot of options, but yeah a decent set of rotors and pads will do wonders. Most cars have crappy, cheap pads on them. And pads are what stop the car. Hell, if the rotors are in ok shape (not worn out, warped, etc) then you only need pads. Would be a good idea to flush brake fluid if you haven't either, it's supposed to be done every two years. Water in there causes issues with rust and generally isn't a good medium to transmit braking force as the water heats and turns to steam.

Give me a call if you want, can discuss options.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Sam is right. Stock discs and good pads can do great things, esp for a mostly street (normal driving) car. I have stock calipers and stock type discs with CarboTech AX6 pads, and I can get ABS to come on with race compound tires at autocross if I hammer them (ie not good form, just saying), they are amazing pads. Stops from 100mph are insanely short and pull serious G's.
I'm not a fan of Hawk pads, but you can get a good set that way outperforms AutoZone pads etc from some good companies.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, how about a little more info on your car, such as year, etc?

FWIW, I owned a '96 Z/28 for almost 20 years. It had marginal brakes, from day one. After a while, I switched to Porterfield Racing's HP street pads. They made a significant difference.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Its a 2000 WS6 Formula M6. Not new to these cars but just ready to focus more on street handling than just drag racing like my other cars.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I have a lot of options, but yeah a decent set of rotors and pads will do wonders. Most cars have crappy, cheap pads on them. And pads are what stop the car. Hell, if the rotors are in ok shape (not worn out, warped, etc) then you only need pads. Would be a good idea to flush brake fluid if you haven't either, it's supposed to be done every two years. Water in there causes issues with rust and generally isn't a good medium to transmit braking force as the water heats and turns to steam.

Give me a call if you want, can discuss options.
Sam I will be getting in touch with you on some suspension stuff after the first of the year.

Thanks
Josh
Old 12-23-2015, 01:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Look forward to helping you out. Feel free to make a list of questions if you like for when we talk.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Best street brake upgrade