Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

G2 Springs no more!? (+small rant on LG)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G2 Springs no more!? (+small rant on LG)

I have a small rant, I'm not mad or anything, just slightly disappointed.

So, back in Nov/Dec 2003, I ordered a batch of suspension parts from LG. I got a PHB, Swaybars, LCA, TA, Shocks, Springs.... Well, everything was in stock except for the springs. I was told that they'd have them from the manufacturer by Feb. I was okay with that. Long story short, here it is mid-June (+ 4 phone calls) and still no springs. I got to talk to Lou this morning and it seems as though the springs are not even under order from the manufacturer, in fact, they are thinking of not even carrying them anymore. My options are a refund, or Eibachs.

I'm a bit annoyed for the following reasons:
1) I was under the impression that the springs were being made, and that I would be receiving them at SOME point. So, this entire time I've not finished my suspension project I started.

2) I may have not gotten the slew of LG products had I known I was never going to receive the springs.

3) I had to call to find all this out. I'm sure I would have waited forever had I not called.

4) The springs are still advertised on the website! Come on, if you ain't selling them, get them off there. It'll be much appreciated by the online shoppers.

The only good thing was, back on my first inquery back in Feb. they DID offer to send me Eibach's or refund my money. I did choose to wait (again, I thought they were actually making the springs and that at some point, I would get them).

Any comments? I guess the only bad things about the Eibachs are the occasional 'sagging' problems.

Also, If you ever had interest in LG's springs you may want to voice it, otherwise it sounds like they won't be made anytime soon.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I hate to hear all that. Besides all the frustration, the springs are the real deal, too. You rarely .... NEVER see them for sale used. And they bring near retail price used.

Lou might be making a mistake not following through with an order.

I do know he was gonna have to order a tremendous number of sets to be able to compete with the other guys. He might be afraid he will have to eat a bunch of spring sets, simply because the number of F-Bodys out there being modified is dwindling ...

JMHO
Old 06-15-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This kind of crap is ridiculous!

First of all, you should have been told that the springs were not in stock when you ordered. It sounds like you wanted to get the entire LG setup which I can understand. Had they told you up front that you weren't going to get the springs, you probably wouldn't have gotten any of the LG stuff.

Secondly, there is no reason whatsoever to take someones money and hold it for 7 months without shipping product. As far as I can tell you ordered LG springs NOT EIBACH!

Thirdly, someone needs to get their head out of their *** and start making regular phone calls. If you tell someone mid-Feb and find out it's going to be later, you better make the call. And every couple of weeks after February he should have been calling you to let you know the status, or at least tell you that it will be indefinate and to offer a refund. Sounds like you had to wait 7 months for a refund offer.

And finally, this has to be some of the worst customer service out there. Taking orders for pending products is fine, as long as the seller informs the buyer that there is a minimum purchase requirement. For instance, a group purchase needs a required number of buyers. These springs were LG springs, not joe-blow factory springs. If your name is on the product and you advertise them as in-stock, you damn well better have them, or let someone know that you don't. Also, this BS about having to buy too many springs (waaaaa, waaaaa, waaa). Whatever. If that is the case, you better mention it up front.

"we'd be happy to take your order for our LG springs, but I do need to let you know that these require a minimum number of orders and will not be made until that minimum is met. If the minimum is not met in the next 2 months, we'll be happy to refund your money and put you on a waiting list."

not

"yeah, we'll have those in stock in February. But you'll have to pay for them up front."

This whole situation just rubs me the wrong way. How can you TAKE someone's money without sending product? Isn't that called theft!

Ugh!

Best of luck to you smash

BTW, if the LG springs are that badass, which I'm sure they are, why not just charge more and order less from the manufacturer?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ws6-speed, it's not about charging more and order less...LG had a problem with the spring manufacturer requiring them to order an insane amount for them to even produce the springs. Mitch explained it in his post.

Anyways, good luck finding some used. Me and the guy I got the springs from are the only ones on this board and others that I've seen in over a year actually wanting to get rid of the LG springs.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:24 AM
Launching!

I have a set of the LG Super Springs for sale. $175

They were powdercoated orange per my request before I purchased them.

I live in DFW, but would ship to Spring if needed.

Email ssixspeed@swbell.net
Old 06-16-2004, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSixspeed
I have a set of the LG Super Springs for sale. $175

They were powdercoated orange per my request before I purchased them.

I live in DFW, but would ship to Spring if needed.

Email ssixspeed@swbell.net
how long have they been in use.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Launching!

I know you might have your heart set on LG springs, which is fine, but if orange powdercoat doesn't suit you and no other used sets come along, may I suggest DMS springs?

I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard nothing but good comments about DMS
Old 06-16-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW ... I will vouch for Nick (SSixspeed)

Good guy and wouldn't try and cheat you ...
Old 06-16-2004, 01:32 PM

Why don't they update their website? Mitch posted pics and info on some adjustable upper a-arms, thankfully, because I couldn't get info from the site. I know they have quite a bit of quality stuff that most just don't know about because it's not on their site. I think that's awful what happened to you, though.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once called Eibach about haveing a custom rate spring made. They told me that they would build it if I ordered 100 of them. This is probably what Lou is up against as well. The equipment to wind springs is not cheap and it is easier, cheaper and you'll get a better product to have the "experts" build springs to your specs than to try to do them "at home". But, you have to play by their rules.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

John:

Do you know which (if any) of our sponsors sell DMS springs?

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 06-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Do you know which (if any) of our sponsors sell DMS springs?
I did a quick search on some of the sponsors websites - yearone, LM, etc. and didn't find dynamicmotorsports (DMS) in their product listing.

EDITED for non-sponsor link
Old 06-16-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

2) I may have not gotten the slew of LG products had I known I was never going to receive the springs.
The good news is that the rest of your LG parts will still work great regardless of which springs you are using and you made a great choice in getting them.

I generally like Eibach springs for stock-replacement, street use setups, but I'm not a fan of the soft rates on their rear F-body springs. When I used them I was bottoming out in the rear on a regular basis under nothing more than normal street driving. For the record mine never sagged either.

If you find the G2's are not an option, then an alternative might be the Hypercoils. The rear springs are virtually identical to the G2's as far as spring rate goes. IIRC the fronts are progressive, which may or may not be something you want. They won't lower your car as much as the G2's from what I've seen - the drop is very comparable to Prokits. Not sure if these are still available or not though, either.

Another option might be to contact Ground Control about custom springs. Their website claims they can get Eibach race springs in several spring rates. I'm not sure if they can do the 4th gen fronts or any other specifics, but I figured it would be food for thought.

EDITED for non-sponsor link.
Good luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if he had to order 100 sets. That's what 15K at his cost, 20K max. That's not a ton of money to spend on arguably the best springs out there. Consider the amount spent on cams etc. and even if he has to sit on half of them for a year it's not a terrible expense. Instead he's getting a bunch of people pissed and not even bothering to explain the situation until 7 MONTHS LATER!

Like I said, I have no problem with his situation and not wanting to order all those springs at once. I do have a problem with the way he advertises them as being available. If he had such a problem with his vendors he should have told smash when he ordered, period.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
simply because the number of F-Bodys out there being modified is dwindling ...

JMHO
First off the comment above made by mitch is sad but true, I give them a few more years and it will be almost impossible to find a stk f-body. The fox body mustangs have already almost become like that. Try to find a stk GT fox body, its not easy.

My opinion on the LG situation. Its very understandale why they might not be carring the springs anymore and the fact that they were back order. I understand buying in bulk to keep prices lower and the fact that the amount of f-bodies are dwindling. Also there may be many other reasons we dont know, we are just assuming. BUT from what I hear who ever makes LG springs, everyone likes them, right? If you have a good product, keep it if you can. Its what brings customers in. So if it cost a little extra to have them, to me it seems worth it.

As for the service, all it would have taken was once simple phone call from LG to tell you how long it was going to be, thats all they had to do. That does seem unexceptable to me as well. Even a simple email would do the trick. To me customer service is a top priority and should be very important.

As for the springs, I run the Pro kit and I'm very satisfied. I have heard great things about the DMS as well. I put a pic below of my car with the pro kit and HD's.
Attached Thumbnails G2 Springs no more!? (+small rant on LG)-ta-8-small.jpg  
Old 06-16-2004, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to be looking around and doing some more research for a couple days before I pull the trigger on something.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not a ton to spend ... when it's not your 20K your spending ...

The speed and performance business is a cut throat industry. Ask any vendor. A 20K investment left sitting on a dieing market that is spread over a dozen vendors is not good business ... kind of like marketing long tubes for Pacers ...

Look ... this is a bad deal all around. But you rarely hear of LGM screwing anyone over. I've seen Lou replace broken parts that were bought 2nd hand. You won't find Hotchkis, Rockey or Eibach doing that. When you by G2 you typically buy the part once ...

And if you re-read the original post, the guy WAS offered a refund in February. Granted, he refused based upon the chance they were gonna be built. But, it's not like LGM took the guy's money and left the country. A refund has been offered and it appears taken.

And Lou CAN make the order. The springs CAN be made available. There is NO problem with the vendor ... that $90K wouldn't solve. Trust me ... Lou knows he's losing market share on this decision. It appears he has weighed his return on investment and made a business decision.

It sucks that Lou waited so long to make the decision and that smash is gonna be disappointed. But, here again, time appears to be the only thing spent here.

So, I am really having a hard time seeing, ws6-speed:

1) why you seem so angry

2) and why this is such a big deal to you personally.

It's not your money involved, it's not your time spent, it's not your business ... is it?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Launching!

The G2 springs I have, have between 5 and 10K on them.

I don't remember when I bought them, but they were on my 2002 SS.. so they're not too old.

Thanks Mitch
Old 06-17-2004, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

ya know, its reading stuff like this about the low supply of G2 Springs in the last year or so (I forget, I've been inactive on the LS1-Related forums for quite some time), that makes me feel bad having a set of G2 Springs sitting around for almost 2 years. I got them for like $200 shipped back in X-Mas 2001 or so. its been A LONG time, heh. and probably by next week they'll finally be on =)

sorry, nothing to add to the post. just I feel bad everytime i read about how no one can get ahold of these springs. Guess its hard for guys like Lou or Sam Strano being racers first and foremost and all.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:33 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Keep things civil please. No non-sponsor links please.

Its not like there aren't any other lowering springs available, just make another selection. I have the Hotchkis springs and they ride like stock. That was important to me.

Quick Reply: G2 Springs no more!? (+small rant on LG)