Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why do my caliper bolts keep coming out??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why do my caliper bolts keep coming out??

Ok here's my story. Last year after putting a few hundred miles on my new motor I'm headed to the track and the caliper bolts fall out of the one front caliper. Get to a parts store and fix it and on the way home it does it again. Locktite it this time and it's been ok since. Last week I have my back tires off and notice both calipers are loose...so I fix them. Today the other front caliper came loose and came off. All four now have loctite on them but why do they keep coming off or is loctite something I should use from the start? I'm half afraid to drive it now. Not fun when the front tire locks up at 55mph. Thanks for any help or suggustions.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really should use loctite.

However, I have to wonder if your caliper slider pins are frozen (stuck). That can cause the caliper to twist which could loosen the bolts....

Maybe...

Check the pins and let us know.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

What are these pins? What is their purpose. When I had the caliper off today the inner part would slide inside the outter part if that makes any sense. All 4 have came loose in the past 1000 miles. Only thing differant is I changed to eradispeed rotors.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The sliding pins are what the calipers actually bolt to. Tthey have a rubber boot on them to keep out dirt. If the boots are torn or not on properly, dirt or water can get in and sieze the pins. If the pins are siezed, the calipers wont "float" (our calipers are a floating design). One pad will wear and the other wont. I guess it could cause an issue with the bolts (although I have never heard of that before).
Old 06-27-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll check them tomorrow to be safe. The bolts that are coming loose are where the whole caliper mounts to the spindle. The two 18mm bolts(I think)
Old 06-27-2004, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Hey Blur, were the brakes making any noise to warn you of the bolts coming loose or popping out?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
I'll check them tomorrow to be safe. The bolts that are coming loose are where the whole caliper mounts to the spindle. The two 18mm bolts(I think)
Those are not caliper bolts ... they are abutment bracket bolts.

Those need to be torqued to 78 ft./lbs. and use loctite. Lots of heat in this area ...

I believe these are torque to yield, one time use only bolts. However, using loctite has never given me a problem.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The front calipers bolt onto a braket that bolts into the front spindle, the rear calipers I think bolt directly to the axle (I forget). Which bolts are coming loose? The ones on the caliper, or the ones on the bracket?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

These are the bolts the bolt the whole caliper down. The only warning they give is a noticalble clunk sound right before the caliper flies out and locks up the front wheel.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:23 PM

Default 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

about 3 weeks ago, I changed my rotors and brake pads, everything went back together with no problems. all bolts were snug on the caliper. a couple days later, the jeep is making this tinking noise and the brakes started grinding. checked them out and the bolts out of the caliper (left front) were gone! replaced them, torqued them in good. another 4 days, same issue. bolts were gone. this time I used a thread lock on them, not locktite but something similar. any idea what is causing the bolts to work themselves out of the caliper?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

The bolts that hold the bracket which in turn holds the caliper then those 18mm bolts have to be torqued as mitchntx said and use locktite. The bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket you do not use loctite, there is a shoulder on the slid pin that the bolt threads into, you have to use a back-up wrench to hold the slid pin and torque the bolts so they will be tightened properly. I had the bolts holding the bracket on the rear come out forgot to put locktite on them. You learn the hardway sometimes or just get in too big of a hurray. Take time to recheck your work before proceeding, it can save you alot of headache.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The wheels vibrate a lot, which will loosen things up. Also every time you use the brakes, all the pieces experience significant torque, which can loosen things up. You should use loctite on both sets of bolts, the bracket bolts and the slide pins, red on the brackets and blue on the pins.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

had a front bolt come out on me when I was driving home from work the other day..... the **** is wrong with this ****?? I havent touched the brakes in over a year.... its locktite and lock washer time.. **** this ****.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

My left front came out on me today. Very annoying
Old 05-11-2018, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Couple years ago I bought a new set of 24s for my 08 Silverado and apparently the place that did the brakes for me put the sliders in and not the bolts. With 17 inch wheels the front calipers couldn't come off there was not enough room. Once the 24s went on they had room and the next day the passenger side came off at 65mph it's took baseball size chunks out of the back of my new rims. They were 5 spoke iroc style wheels and each spoke had chunk missing. Costed me 400$ to replace a rim that was a day old plus new caliper new bolts and new brake line that ripped out
Old 05-12-2018, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

my sons car had the bolt fall out.....for my car I am putting in ARP bolts .....locktite.....and TQing those suckers down
Old 05-20-2018, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

So far I've never had any brake hardware come loose in over 20 years driving these cars. I torque everything to spec. The attachment bolts to the spindle need to be effin tight. 78 ftlbs is a lot of force to judge without a proper torque wrench. BUY ONE and use it!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
had a front bolt come out on me when I was driving home from work the other day..... the **** is wrong with this ****?? I havent touched the brakes in over a year.... its locktite and lock washer time.. **** this ****.
Similar experience a while back. But my calipers are aftermarket. Same solution too.

Quick Reply: Why do my caliper bolts keep coming out??