Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A blade sway bar for the LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A blade sway bar for the LS1?

Does anyone know of anybody who makes blade sway bars for LS1s? They are shaped like blades rather than rods, which means they are lighter for the same strength, and they are adjustable.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by steve2001sh
Does anyone know of anybody who makes blade sway bars for LS1s? They are shaped like blades rather than rods, which means they are lighter for the same strength, and they are adjustable.

If they are a blade, they might be lighter, but would they be as stiff? I have never seen a blade anti-roll bar, got any links or pics? Intersested to see what these things look like.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

I don't have any pictures, but I know that the new Chrystler supercar ME 412 uses them. When the thin edge is pointing up, they are very stiff, just like an I-beam. When the thin edge is pointing forward, they are very flexible. If you use a 32mm rod sway bar, you might need a 50mm blade sway bar for the same stiffness, but the blade would still weigh half as much and be adjustible (these numbers are all guesstimates).

I've looked around and can't find anything about these being made for LS1s. I can't find much about them for any car. I was hoping that there is a sponser who does things like that who would be willing to give it a go for a Trans Am.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve,

What are you trying to accomplish? Stiffer bar, go bigger. Stiffer/lighter bar, go bigger/hollow (Strano bar or Hotchkiss front bar)...large, stiff and "light" (lighter?). Coolness factor? You may be on your own. There are many fast cars using proven, available and relatively inexpensive parts. If you want better handling, we can help you set that up. If you want "supercar" parts, you may need your visa card.....
Old 06-30-2004, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trackbird
Steve,

What are you trying to accomplish? Stiffer bar, go bigger. Stiffer/lighter bar, go bigger/hollow (Strano bar or Hotchkiss front bar)...large, stiff and "light" (lighter?). Coolness factor? You may be on your own. There are many fast cars using proven, available and relatively inexpensive parts. If you want better handling, we can help you set that up. If you want "supercar" parts, you may need your visa card.....
My car is basicly inteded for autocross. Blade type bars are the lightest of all the designs, which is good no matter what your application. Their biggest selling point is being adjustable though. Different tracks require a different level of stiffness, and so does the street. I'm also hoping that a flat piece of metal won't cost me too much more than a round or hollow piece of metal.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

In general (assuming a conventional roll bar design) a round tube has highest torsional rigidity. If weight savings are a concern then hollow round tube. From what I've seen with regard to the blade design, its main feature is adjustability - so that the cross-section becomes stiffer as the blade is rotated vertically. Its also not used in a conventional layout. I'd say unless you want something novel (in which case I think it'll be your engineering project to pursue) you're best bet is a hollow round bar.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
In general (assuming a conventional roll bar design) a round tube has highest torsional rigidity. If weight savings are a concern then hollow round tube. From what I've seen with regard to the blade design, its main feature is adjustability - so that the cross-section becomes stiffer as the blade is rotated vertically. Its also not used in a conventional layout. I'd say unless you want something novel (in which case I think it'll be your engineering project to pursue) you're best bet is a hollow round bar.
I was afraid that would likely be the case. Hollow is my next choice, but adjustability would be really nice.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fulton, That was the point I was attempting to make, but it didn't work as well.

I'm not sure what class it would be legal in either. I'm running the ST 35mm front bar but I have a street mod car....
Old 06-30-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by trackbird
Fulton, That was the point I was attempting to make, but it didn't work as well.

I'm not sure what class it would be legal in either. I'm running the ST 35mm front bar but I have a street mod car....
Your response made perfect sense to me, trackbird - I totally agree with you

Something like this is neat and I've seen it done on some fancy kit car chassis setups, etc., but I just can't see it being worthwhile on cars such as ours considering the extensive investment it would take.

I've been eyeing some hollow bars, but for now its just another thing on my already long wish list

Quick Reply: A blade sway bar for the LS1?