Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car shakes at about 85-up, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Car shakes at about 85-up, any ideas?

When i hit about 85 or so, the whole car gets a shake to it, im thinking needs a new alignment, only cause i never noticed this until after i got new tires put on. I gotta check tire pressure still too. Maybe thats it, but if anyone has any idea what it could be, let me know, but im thinking its something easy like alignment or low tire. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT, i noticed this recently after gettin brakes, like a week after. its not brakes, i know that much cause its new rotors and pads, its gotta be alignment or weights as people have said. so we will see come tomorrow.

Last edited by STKoRn97; 07-09-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like your tire balance is off, might have thrown a weight.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto
Old 07-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Launching!

ttt....tt
Old 07-09-2004, 02:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STKoRn97
When i hit about 85 or so, the whole car gets a shake to it, im thinking needs a new alignment, only cause i never noticed this until after i got new tires put on. I gotta check tire pressure still too. Maybe thats it, but if anyone has any idea what it could be, let me know, but im thinking its something easy like alignment or low tire. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
It sounds like it is alignment. You are supposed to get your wheels aligned right after you get new tires.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Launching!

its got an alignment right after, and it was fine, i did have brakes done, and i meant to say that this started about week after brakes not tires. but car is going in tomorrow to have it looked at. if i had to guess, as i posted on original post, probably alignment or weights.

Last edited by STKoRn97; 07-09-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

if it's not the alignment, or the wheel balance, it could be a driveshaft. out of balance driveshaft, or a worn u joint will do that too.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Launching!

not sure about driveshaft and u joint, car only has about 21,000 miles on it, so dont know if a u joint would go already, but ill add those to list for guy to check out. thanks.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could be damn near anything. I just gradually throw parts at the problem since noone has been able to diagnose what causes it. Since new the car had a slight vibration above 75. Dealership balanced the wheels and 4 or 5 times, then gave me a NEW set of tires, and no improvement. Then they changed the driveshaft, and put in a steel one (it's supposed to have an aluminum one). I made them correct that and order a proper aluminum one. This new aluminum one improved but did not solve the problem. When I say improved, 120 with the old driveshaft made the center console shake like a paint shaker. 120 with the new (and current) aluminum one is just a mild vibration. Weird thing is, it kinda comes and goes. Surface dependent? But always seems to be there if you go fast enough.

Since then, in the course of normal maintenance I've changed rotors, gone through 2 more sets of tires(with road force balancing)and completely rebuilt the rear axle. To my mind, the only thing left are front wheel bearings (though they have no play in them and make no odd noises) and driveshaft/u-joints.

So I just ordered the LPE 3.5 Aluminum driveshaft. Figured with 113K miles it couldn't hurt to get new u-joints, and I've always been itching to try a better driveshaft to see if that cures the problem. It's only $300, which is a ton less than a CF driveshaft, and about what it would cost to get an aluminum one made locally.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update - I think the 3.5 inch LPE aluminum driveshaft cured my high speed vibration. I've only had room to get it up to 110 since the install this week, but it feels glass smooth now. The LPE DS was tested by GM and didn't resonate until 237 MPH in a 6-speed 3.42 gear F-body, so it should be good for any speed you could dream of reaching Only $299 plus $33 shipping.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same thing going on with my car but theni hit my rear right axle a couple of months ago and got that fixed at the same time telling the shop to add 4.10 in the rear. after the hit the rear axle i started noticing the prob.

let me know if the DS is the prob. ill have to check up oon funds for the DS

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
It could be damn near anything. I just gradually throw parts at the problem since noone has been able to diagnose what causes it. Since new the car had a slight vibration above 75. Dealership balanced the wheels and 4 or 5 times, then gave me a NEW set of tires, and no improvement. Then they changed the driveshaft, and put in a steel one (it's supposed to have an aluminum one). I made them correct that and order a proper aluminum one. This new aluminum one improved but did not solve the problem. When I say improved, 120 with the old driveshaft made the center console shake like a paint shaker. 120 with the new (and current) aluminum one is just a mild vibration. Weird thing is, it kinda comes and goes. Surface dependent? But always seems to be there if you go fast enough.

Since then, in the course of normal maintenance I've changed rotors, gone through 2 more sets of tires(with road force balancing)and completely rebuilt the rear axle. To my mind, the only thing left are front wheel bearings (though they have no play in them and make no odd noises) and driveshaft/u-joints.

So I just ordered the LPE 3.5 Aluminum driveshaft. Figured with 113K miles it couldn't hurt to get new u-joints, and I've always been itching to try a better driveshaft to see if that cures the problem. It's only $300, which is a ton less than a CF driveshaft, and about what it would cost to get an aluminum one made locally.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by STKoRn97

EDIT, i noticed this recently after gettin brakes, like a week after. its not brakes, i know that much cause its new rotors and pads, its gotta be alignment or weights as people have said. so we will see come tomorrow.
It's not the alignment, alignments will not cause any vibration, loose parts will, but not an alignment. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have it checked though. My guess would be out of round tire/wheel or bad balance. And you said brakes were replaced with rotors, do you notice any shaking when braking? say about 65 and lower speed. If you saw how some rotors are shipped you would be wary, I have seen new rotors warped right out of the box and it is usually from the shipper setting them on their side which is a big no-no. I had a cavalier that I got new rotors for about 4 years ago from orileys and they were warped so bad that the car shook at highway speeds, hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Car shakes at about 85-up, any ideas?