Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I have go fast goodies, but stock suspension, HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have go fast goodies, but stock suspension, HELP.

My car feels EXTREMELY LOOSE on turns, and really on hard acceleration, it can start to wheel hop pretty bad. I was hoping that if I did SFC's, rear lower trailing arms, that this might help some of my issues, and will I notice/feel a difference? My car IS A T-TOP CAR.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by needmoremoney
and will I notice/feel a difference? My car IS A T-TOP CAR.
Yes! Start with the SFC's for sure.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

Here's what I would do.

Spohn Lower Control Arms, Relocation Brackets and Panhard Bar.

Subframe connectors of your choice. Brand doesn't really matter, all it is is a bar welded to your frame. Some claim to be better than others but they are all pretty much the same as far as actual performance goes. Get boxed for extra stability, tubular if you're worried about ground clearance.

With that setup you will hook like no other assuming you have the tires to match it. Tires will be the #1 thing you can do for traction but the above mentioned parts will make sure that it's the tires that are failing you and not the suspension. I have all the above parts and I have no wheelhop whatso ever. When the car does loose traction it is very smooth and you feel like you have total control where as before it was bumpy and very speratic feeling. They have been by far the best mod I've ever done to my car and I can't suggest them enough. If I had it all to do over agian I would have started with my suspension!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you can't do all at once, do the SFC's for sure! night and day difference...

I kinda think that traction and handling are 2 different animals though. Go the route above if you want to address traction first, if you want to address handling first, get some new springs/shocks, they make a huge difference also.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

I would do it in this order: SFC's, shocks, LCA's, and sticky tires.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

How many miles on the clock, 'needmoremoney'? I already had SFCs, BMR rubber/poly LCAs and poly bushings on the sway bars and the car got progressively looser after 45,000. Stock shocks were the biggest problem. I installed a 1LE front sway bar before I did the shocks and it made a difference but replacing the shocks with regular Bilstein HDs made a huge difference!
If the problem presists, then get some top rated "Ultra High Performance" tires with a good review @ Discount Tire Direct or TireRack.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by A BAD T/A
Stock shocks were the biggest problem. I installed a 1LE front sway bar before I did the shocks and it made a difference but replacing the shocks with regular Bilstein HDs made a huge difference!
Eureka!!

You are going to get tons of different information from everyone. The best thing is to talk to a professional, such as Sam Strano. www.stranoparts.com
Old 07-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZaneO
You are going to get tons of different information from everyone. The best thing is to talk to a professional, such as Sam Strano
Talking to the "professionals" is all well and good (I've heard nothing but praise for Sam) but personally I'm a bit suspicious when somebody's trying to sell me something. I prefer to get feedback from actual customers, instead of trying to shop by reading advertising hype on the manufacturers' website. That's why I'd rather do my research on the forums, and sort out the truth from the on my own
Old 07-15-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Have you seen his track records? His knowledge speaks for itself, along with thousands of happy customers. Notice that I didn't tell him to just talk to anyone. I don't just make random recommendations. Sam will talk with you for hours on the phone and pinpoint exactly what you need/want/can afford, etc. He will never push anything extra on you.

The problem with the majority of people on these forums is that they don't know what they are talking about and have only used one single product. So what are they comparing anything to? Stock? There's isn't much comparison there; most things will be better than stock. Someone who has tried every combination under the sun, knows their differences and what works and what doesn't.

You should do your research. ALWAYS. But then discuss your opinions/options with a proven professional.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

you havent really said yet, what is your budget here? looks like we all agree that SFC's are first...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Zane, I don't completely disagree with anything you said; a new guy needs to get a feel for how to sort thru all the opinions that are out there. And while many forum members don't have a range of experience (have only tried one brand of shock, etc) there are some who've been at it for years and have a wide range knowledge.

Again, I wasn't putting down Sam - you're not the only guy who's said he's terrific and will spend hours on the phone talking about your goals and options. I just believe the whole point of a forum is the open discourse of ideas, experience, and insight from a variety of perspectives. That's why I do my research here, even though it's fraught with the problems you mentioned
Old 07-16-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

That's pretty much what I said, but that "new guy" has a much higher post count than you

He's gotten some great info. so far. Keep it up everyone.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I can get you a great deal on any BMR product. PM me for more info.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZaneO
that "new guy" has a much higher post count than you
Hey you're right - I didn't notice that! What the hell's going on; he should be giving me advice!!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Old 07-17-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

and if you have wheel hop as bad as you say you have it, Id get some LCA's right away. The rod ended LG's that I have are top quality, rod ends are often put down because they people say that they are overly harsh, ask thoes same people if they have ever experienced a car with rod ended rear suspension and then see what they say. To me wheel hop is a big thing, it can cause creases in your quater panels and can also break your rear end (wheel hop can even break a 9 inch) so that needs to be taken care of along with the subframes.