Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

softer bumpstops?? or shave them? remove??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softer bumpstops?? or shave them? remove??

well i'v tried almost everything now.. got my hi jacker air shocks.. but the only way to stop bottoming out is to pump them shocks full and then it sits like a 4X4 is there a way i can get softer bump stops so it don't bottom out so hard?? or wut about this i read about ppl cutting them down a bit? or even removing them.. personaly i don't think it would be smart to remove them cuz then u put more stress on all other suspension components.. i don't no tho.. i aint an expert.. i no the local shop has rubber blocks to put in between the coils, but i did that.. hit a big bump and they flew out.. i think i'v tried almost everything...
Old 07-18-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get rid of those shocks. There is a reason that there are only a few people running them (including you, I've heard of about 3). Air shocks are for pulling trailers. That is pretty much it. They are not good as shocks and as you've found out, they are not good springs either. Get some Bilstiens or even the stock Decarbons are better than those. Why did you want to try air shocks? Are you trying to fix a specific problem? I'm curious what you are trying to fix, maybe we can help. But I'd leave the bump stops alone and get rid of those shocks for starters.

My thoughts.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trackbird
I'd get rid of those shocks. There is a reason that there are only a few people running them (including you, I've heard of about 3). Air shocks are for pulling trailers. That is pretty much it. They are not good as shocks and as you've found out, they are not good springs either. Get some Bilstiens or even the stock Decarbons are better than those. Why did you want to try air shocks? Are you trying to fix a specific problem? I'm curious what you are trying to fix, maybe we can help. But I'd leave the bump stops alone and get rid of those shocks for starters.

My thoughts.
Good ole air shocks, I had them in the rear of 74 camaro when I was 16. You know to get the back end up the air, I guess I thought it looked tough. The stuff we did when we were young...jeez

I agree with trackbird, I don't see any reason for them unless you are towing. They are popular of trucks/SUVs for that reason.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wut im trying to do is stop bottoming out yet keep the low look.. i have no other ways of doing this..? looking for a stiff ride that won't hit the bump stops hard enough to shake the car the stock de carbons were just as bad.. at least i can jake these up to stock bottoming out but just won't keep the lowerd look.. if u have a better idea pleaze let me no.. im lost..
Old 07-19-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run the Bilsteins and have no problems with this, sometimes over large bumps if I have a person in the back it will bottom out slightly, I do have the Eibach Pro Kit as well. I am very pleased with this set up for looks as well as ride. I don't think it is the best for drag as I am finding out. But overall the a good set of shocks should prevent the bottoming out factor.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed you have the pro kit as well, I would say and most would agree the shocks are the reason your are having this problem. It doesnt matter how high you go with them, it depends on the firmness of the shock. I guarantee a good shock would solve this issue.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

A) Ditch the air shocks
B) For the love of God and all things holy, please use some English.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
A) Ditch the air shocks
B) For the love of God and all things holy, please use some English.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well then wut are my options on shocks that will work good with my pro kit? i'v looked around here.. but canada aint the best place for options on shocks..
Old 07-19-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd think a set of rear Koni SA's or possibly a 3rd gen bilstien would get you fixed up. When you lower a car, it is a given that it will hit the stops more. You have to take the trade off, lower ride, more time on the bump stops.

Do you have 17" rims? If so, is the metal spacer still under your rear bump stops? If so, you may want to consider removing it and checking the clearance (there is usually no problem doing that). That will give you some more travel to work with. I changed to a Koni "bump rubber" mounted on my rear shock and ditched the stock bump stops completely. The Koni bump is a little more progressive. You often don't know that you are on it, even though I'm on it alot.

I'd start there, but there may be other suggestions.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanx trackbird, i like that idea.. where did u get the new bumpstops from? yes i have stock 17's still.. i can start bye taking out the spacer.. i would like to find that bumpstop u got.. concidering i spend 250 on these shocks i think i might wana try working around them for now then replace if its a must!
Old 07-19-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd think a set of rear Koni SA's or possibly a 3rd gen bilstien would get you fixed up. When you lower a car, it is a given that it will hit the stops more. You have to take the trade off, lower ride, more time on the bump stops.

Do you have 17" rims? If so, is the metal spacer still under your rear bump stops? If so, you may want to consider removing it and checking the clearance (there is usually no problem doing that). That will give you some more travel to work with. I changed to a Koni "bump rubber" mounted on my rear shock and ditched the stock bump stops completely. The Koni bump is a little more progressive. You often don't know that you are on it, even though I'm on it alot.

I'd start there, but there may be other suggestions.
Trackbird, what do you mean by a 3rdgen Bilstein? Sorry if thats a stupid question.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
Trackbird, what do you mean by a 3rdgen Bilstein? Sorry if thats a stupid question.
He's referring to using a Bilstein shock that was intended for a 3rd generation f-body. Many believe it to have better valving than the shocks Bilstein makes for 4th gen f-bodies.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
He's referring to using a Bilstein shock that was intended for a 3rd generation f-body. Many believe it to have better valving than the shocks Bilstein makes for 4th gen f-bodies.
I did not know this, anyone here actually running the 3rd gen Bilsteins on there 4th? I would be curious myself to feel this.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-20-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
I did not know this, anyone here actually running the 3rd gen Bilsteins on there 4th? I would be curious myself to feel this.

Thanks for the info!

I take no credit for it. It is something learned and shared by Sam Strano at stranoparts.com. He has several cars set up that way and they seem to work quite well. I'd call Sam for info (and shocks).

I got my bump rubbers from www.truechoice.com. Their website is very hard to use, just call them (number is on the site) and ask for Koni "bump rubbers" for the rear of an F-body. I think I am using 55mm, tapered, progressive stops. They should be able to find them with that info. They look like this:

Old 07-20-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

I did the same Koni bumpstops as Trackbird. The part number for that bumpstop is: Koni# 70.34.53.000.0 (55mm, tapered, progressive). I also got them from truechoice.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm glad you had that number. I lost it long ago and keep referring to stuff by the description. Sam may be able to get you those as well.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

I'm glad you had that number. I lost it long ago and keep referring to stuff by the description. Sam may be able to get you those as well.

The only reason I still have the number handy, is because I've been too lazy to clean my desk off, and the invoice is still sitting here for about a month now.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys, I think I might try them out. Mine bottoms out very rarely but I hate when it does. Wish I would have known about the 3rd bilstiens before I bought mine. Dont get me wrong, mine are great but if they were better I would have gone that way.

Quick Reply: softer bumpstops?? or shave them? remove??