Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lil confusion about cut springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lil confusion about cut springs

I am planning on lowering my 95 accord after i get some wheels and tires. Ive searched the site and have learned quite a few things about cutting springs and lowering car in general.

My goal is to lower car (ZERO interest in performance) for low cost while retaining decent ride quality. After searching, it seems the best way to accomplish this is simply by cutting the springs, however, i am confused about the issue of having to relocate control arms? also since im not racing this car keeping my stock shocks should be adequate correct? THnx.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right, if not racing there is no need to relocate the LCA's or replace shocks. Be warned though, a lowered car is harder on stock shocks. Be sure to have the front wheel alignment checked after lowering, though.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Generally, lowering the car about an inch will improve the suspension geometry and will not require any changes to the other suspension components.
I believe the 95 Accords have 4 wheel independent suspension, which should eliminate the need for relocating any suspension components. As Cal said, you will need to have the alignment checked after you cut the springs. Remember to cut off a small amount at a time.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Teching In

yeah ite thnx guys seems simple enough, i was thinking about cutting one spring all around.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't cut your stock springs. Just spend the $200 or less for springs. When you cut your springs you KILL the spring rate. Every time you go over a bump you will bounce until your car evens out. You will look like you have constantly moving Hyrdo's on your car after every bump. If you don't mind your car lookin like a circus clown car, then do it. Otherwise just take the time and money to do it right. (FYI, MANY civics and accords do this where I live and every single one rocks like hell on the road).
Old 08-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Don't cut your stock springs. Just spend the $200 or less for springs. When you cut your springs you KILL the spring rate. Every time you go over a bump you will bounce until your car evens out. You will look like you have constantly moving Hyrdo's on your car after every bump. If you don't mind your car lookin like a circus clown car, then do it. Otherwise just take the time and money to do it right. (FYI, MANY civics and accords do this where I live and every single one rocks like hell on the road).
Not true at all for an fbody; maybe for a Honda, but our springs have 10 coils so you can remove one or two of them with no ill effects. The spring rate will go up by 10% for each coil you cut, but that's a good thing. If the suspension is bouncey you need new shocks, which is a good idea anytime you go to stiffer springs.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=jrbling]I am planning on lowering my 95 accord ...QUOTE]

We're talking about an accord here. Not an F-body. F's are totally diff story.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Hmm, so my honda may bounce like hell then? Even lowering no more than an inch will result in this bounciness? I was under the impression that the ride may be better, but i guess that applies only to f-body. I do need some decent ride quality, however, since i am limited to how much i can lower it, would you (Cal or arctic) suggest coil over kit? What else would be necessary if i went that route (prolly shocks)?

bah kinda dissapointing to go that route, not only is it more expensive but as i said this car will not be performance orientated, so any performance gain that i get in purchasing lowering springs/coil over kit and shocks is basically a waste of money.

Last edited by jrbling; 08-10-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

First of all, any type of lowering decreases ride quality. The lower you go, the worse the ride, and there is no way around that. There are enhancements like buying a full shock/spring coil over kit from a company like Tein or Bilstein that make the ride more comfortable than it would normally be, but that's only if you want to put about $1500 into the suspension. But, you do not, so I would definitely suggest a Coil-Over kit. That is your best bet in terms of full ride height adjustment to get it to your exact liking. Ground Control makes some excellent coils that I had on my 99 integra (you can raise or lower 4" i believe). It was probably one of the best investments I put into that car. In the winter I could raise it and in the summer I could drop it. But, they are more expensive compared to static height springs (I think they run about $100 more). If you want to go the cheaper route and take a chance, you could get static springs for around $175-225. Either way, if you're only going to lower an inch, you probably won't need new shocks. It's usually in the 1.75"+ range that it starts becoming debatable. I had my integra lowered 2" and got kyb adjustables for the front. The rear shocks stayed stock and were completely fine. Just make sure that you give about 2 weeks between the spring install and getting an alignment so the springs have time to settle.

Last edited by ArcticZ28; 08-11-2004 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Yeah be able to raise and lower during the seasons would be good for where i live, i dont want to be plowing snow with my bumper in the winter. I can get some Tenzo coil overs for $200 for a set of 4, And Toms for about 180, I dont know anything about their quality though. ill look into ground control too. Thnx for posting i prolly would have ended up cutting my springs :o
Old 08-12-2004, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a cheap coilover kit off ebay and some really good shocks
a buddy of mine got some coilovers off ebay a while back for $90 new (cheapass kit) and some kyb's i think....rode decent at full drop, rode real good at near stock height
but have fun tooling with spanner wrenches lol

Quick Reply: lil confusion about cut springs