Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brembo oem and hawk pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brembo oem and hawk pads

ok i put on the brembo oem rotors and the hawk hps pads but it looks like that the rear driver side rotor is not looking right. The top half looks glazed over but the bottom half of the rotor looks like it is hardly comming in contact with the pad. I took off the caliper to see if the pads were in wrong but it looks OK. All the other rotors look like there wearing evenly, but none of them are taking up all the rotor surface. Is this normal? If not any sugestions for this problem.... Oh yeah checked out the ATE super blue, should i get the blue or the gold.
Thanks,
Darian
Old 08-06-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blue and gold are the same. Use one now, then switch when you change the brake fluid. The color makes it easy to tell when you get fresh fluid (it changes color as you flush the new stuff in). I have both at home.

As for your wear. You either need to bed the pads per the manufacturers instructions or you need to verify that you don't have calipers that have "spread" from heat. It is tough to spread calipers running street pads and doing street driving, so I suspect that the pads are just not seated yet. The caliper slider pins were "free" right? If the two pins that the caliper bolts to get stuck, it can cause funny wear patterns.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Ok i bedded the pads again and checked them to make sure they matched up to the stock ones, the pins are fine but still no contact on the pad. Where it is not making contact there is rust forming, and it was there before i bedded them the second time, when i got back to check if they were better the rust was still there. What should i look for to know if the caliper is bad. I used the caliper kit and replaced all the clips and rubber boots around the pins. The rotor almost looks like only half of the rotor was cut. The non contacing spot on the rotor is in the same place all around the rotor.

Last edited by 02blackws6bolton; 08-06-2004 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd rebed them until I see a proper wear pattern and go from there. If the wear pattern is not correct, they are probably not fully bedded. Give them another shot.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Default 2nd and 3rd run

OK I went out for a second try at bedding the pads, when i got back i pulled the wheel and the rotor still was not making contact on the inner half , so i pulled everything apart again and looked at the back of the rotor and the rotor was making contact on the opposite side of the pad or the inner half of the rotor, so i put everything back together, making sure everything was where it needed to be. 3rd run, came back same result. Any thoughts, i'm stumped..... Oh yeah I also checked my stock rotors and they didnt have the same problem..

Thanks
Old 08-07-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Can you get some pictures? I may have to see this one to help you.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Default fixed the problem

Ok figured it out the pads for the rear are not the same there is an inner pad and an outer pad i had the outer pads on one wheel and the inner pads on another wheel. On the hawks and stock pads on the top of the pad where the caliper itself not the piston side but the part facing the driver is there is a little notch there that rests on the clips in the caliper well the shorter one goes on the outside and the longer one went on the inside. So for all you hawk customers make sure you dont make the same mistake. Thanks for all the help Trakbird
Old 08-07-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I once installed both "short" pins on one side and went to the other side and the pads wouldn't fit. That was the first time I changed them on this car. Glad you sroted it out.

Quick Reply: brembo oem and hawk pads