Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Difference in BadZ and Trackbird's adj LCA's and PHR's

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference in BadZ and Trackbird's adj LCA's and PHR's

What's the main difference in the two since they're both billet aluminium with rod ends?
Any feedback by someone who owns either would be great too.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Restricted User

I have BADZ's and I like them. They have been abused quite a bit, but no problems. Good quality. About the only thing about them not so good, is the clearance for adjustment when installed and without removing the tire, it can be done, but kind of a PITA. Cant imagine why that would matter to most people, but I found out.

Charlie
Old 08-29-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much noise if any do yours make? After searching it seems they use different rod ends. They both seem like they use quality rod ends so now I'd like to find out which one makes less noise.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the BadZ and am not too happy with it so far. The cornering performance it gives is outstanding, along with the construction and the ease of adjustment. However, the bushings for the rod ends were too small and would not fit over the bolts, so I had to grind down the bolts to make them fit. He did send me a new set though, but I havent installed them, but they look like the same size as the first ones that didnt fit. Over any bump, even very small, there is a loud loose banging sound coming from the PHR. It is very loud and not good sounding. I have checked it and cant see anything loose. When i unbolt the end, the noise stops, so I am sure this is the problem. I am not happy about it at all. I am thinking of getting a poly/rod one instead.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

I know trackbird uses the top-of-the-line 3/4" QA1 XM-series rod ends on his LCA's. The LCA's are also available in Al. If it were me I'd avoid any rod ends of lesser quality or smaller size than these. I'm not sure on the specifics of the BADZ parts.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ferocity, if you grab the bar and twist it, rotating the bar on the rod ends, does the rod end bearing housing of the PHB rotate over and hit the frame and or diff mount?

As the chassis moves up and down, the shaft of the PHB can and will rotate some.

Make sure the rod ends are aligned with each other to give it the most possible travel.

As an experiment, put a couple layers of duct tape on the rod end housing, where it would come into contact with the chassis or diff and see if it quiets down.

The dust collars LGM supplies with his rod ended parts cushions the housing and helps keep things quiet.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Loud banging on the daily driver won't cut it, but I think I see what mitchntx is saying and the problems sounds fixable.
Anyone with feedback on trackbird's LCA's & PHR?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Teching In

I have the ones Trackbird sells...

Here are pics of the LCAs:
http://www.vilipend.com/~brian/LowerControlArms

Here are pics of the PHB:
http://www.vilipend.com/~brian/Panhardbar

Both of these fit perfectly.

If you do get them (from anywhere) make sure the PHB spacers are tapered... because the bolt is tapered and it will make MORE noise if they are not tapered.

Like I said both my LCAs and PHB are from Trackbird and they fit perfectly. I think price wise Trackbird will NEVER get rich, but that is not why he sells them.

Make no mistake - THEY WILL MAKE NOISE. That will happen in any situation where you are removing rubber dampeners. Yes, like the ones on the LCAs and PHB. Mine do make noise, but only when I hit bumps - leading me to believe it is the shock of driving over bumps that produces the noise. Therefore, using this highly scientific knowledge ANY LCA/PHB with a similar design will most likely make noise too. Then again you won't want these if you drive a driveway queen. Buy a set from BMR all the bling blingers are doing it. Only buy these kinds of LCA/PHBs for max results - and that means some undesirable side-effects. (I have yet to hear IRL or CART racers complain about the heim joint noise their cars make.)

Honestly though the noise is not that bad - andif you go slow over the big bumps anyway then you won't care. The only people I ever hear complain about these type of LCA/PHB are the p*ssy drivers that drive wanna be trophy cars. If you DRIVE your car you won't care about the feedback.

I am very happy with my set of LCAs/PHB. To me (and my wife) the car act much better, and the noise is not too bad.

I had some loud banging but it turned out to be exhaust noise... 3" tube is hard to get around stuff.

Here are pics of that getting fixed:
http://www.vilipend.com/~brian/Fixinganexhaustrattle
Old 08-30-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'm just worried about constant noise from the heim joints. It's my only car and I have to drive it daily, so if it's a constant noise I might have to puss out and not go full bore with heim joints as sad as that sounds. If it's only on big bumps I doubt there will be a problem. I'm mainly worried about constant rattling and squeaking which is something I can't handle, and no ones complained of that.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

FAST, shortbus's comments (IMO) are right on. If you do get some noise, it'll generally be "impact" noise - it won't be constant unless maybe you're on some really bad roads. At least that's been my experience with the good rod ends. IMO, its a small price to pay for quality parts. But, for me this is one of those things like exhaust noise in that as long as I know that's the way it is then its okay. Its the noises I don't understand or can't track down that bug me.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fulton that's the explination I was after, thanks
I see trackbird's LCA's & PHR being bought in the near future.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you are worried about noise, get poly/poly or poly/rod. The noise mine has is not constant. I though the noise would be like the road noise from the tires on the road and what not. But its actually a very loud banging. The rod ends are lined up with eachother. The rod ends cannot hit the chassis, they will hit the bushings instead. So duct tape wont help. Not sure what to do at this point. I'd hate to toss it, but may have to.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

I had BadZ's LCAs and PHB on my car. I replaced the LCAs almost immediatley with some from Spohn. The rod ends look like somthing that belongs on a Big Wheel.

I have been wanting to get rid of the PHB for awhile but kept spending my money elsewhere. I just got one of Kevin's(Trackbird) PHBs and it is a night and day difference. The craftmanship that went into the bar itself is awesome. He even polished it for me for a small increase in price. He also uses the QA1 rod ends which are much beefier than Badz's. Not to mention the bushings are actually shaped properly for the stock PHB bolts which are tapered. I am sure there is some deflection with the old bar due to this. The bar itself is also alot stiffer. I can make the Badz one flex with my hand. And cannot do that with Kevin's.

I am considering getting some of his LCAs to loose some weight as well.

Brad

Last edited by SquintzPallatore; 09-01-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's great to hear SquintzPallatore

I just sent the money off today to get both the LCA's and PHR from Kevin.
Your review between the two is great since it reassures me of my decision to pay a little more for a quality part.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just sent the money off today to get both the LCA's and PHR from Kevin.
Your review between the two is great since it reassures me of my decision to pay a little more for a quality part.
Kevin wouldnt put out a part for a vehical that was of low quality, you can bet the farm on it.

(Oh, your no fun )
Old 09-02-2004, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

where can i get trackbirds phb and lca's?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
where can i get trackbirds phb and lca's?
Send him a PM for more info
Old 09-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've had BADZ's LCAs and PHR on my car for about a month now, and the rod ends have already worn on them, and are rattling all to hell as a consequence. At first, they were pretty quiet, but as time went on, they started making more and more noise. My SS is a daily driver, and driving through my parking lot was becoming irritating to say the least. My car sounds like it is falling apart, and I don't much like it.

As of last night, I ordered some Spohn poly/poly LCAs and PHR. IMO, rod ends are just too much for a daily driver. I thought I could handle it, but the harsh ride along with the clanking was keeping me from enjoying my car. I drive this thing daily for a reason...it is (or was) a blast to drive. I gave it a month, and they failed. For track use, I'm sure they would be great...that is, if you are talking about Auto X and Road Racing when you talk about track use. I do neither, nor will I ever. That kind of racing really doesn't interest me.

I'd think long and hard before putting rod ends on a daily driver after my experience. I would sit down and ask yourself what you really do with the car. I like to drive my car fast in straight lines, and usually only on the street. My car sees a drag strip about once a year. IMO, that does not constitute the necessity of rod-ended suspension components. Yes, poly will bind under hard cornering, but that I can live with. The noise, I can not. For the most part, poly should be good under straight line acceleration conditions, and if you keep them greased up, they shouldn't squeak all that much (at least I hope).

Take this for what it's worth...to me, making the car unenjoyable to drive is just not worth the benefits of a rod end. Sorry.

Steve

Quick Reply: Difference in BadZ and Trackbird's adj LCA's and PHR's