Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

is a 24mm rear sway bar worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a 24mm rear sway bar worth getting?

would a 24mm rear sway bar worth getting? would it help with traction? what do you guys think?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

A 24mm is kinda big so I said yes

-Todd
Old 09-21-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that would be a good bit too large in most applications. Most folks tend to stay between 19 and 21mm depending on how the car is used {AutoX or RoadRace} and what their driving style is like.

It could possibly help at the strip when launching by keeping the body level from side to side. In the curves it could easily hurt traction by giving alot of oversteer.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just ordered a 25mm rear bar last night, and should have it by Thursday. That'll give me 35mm in the front with a 400# linear spring rate, and a 25mm in the rear with a 125# linear spring. If I don't like it, I'll change it, plain and simple. They aren't too expensive, so I figured what the hell. My rear end feels very sloppy with the way it is now...
Old 09-21-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have heard that anything over 22mm will cause your *** to skid all over the road, a lot of overdriving will occur and you will probably spin out alot
Old 09-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

We shall see, we shall see. That's why I always keep my stock stuff handy...I have a feeling that with my lowered roll center from the BMR upper panhard relocation and already pretty soft rear springs, the 25mm should be a good fit, especially with a 35mm front bar. I'll definitely let you know if it is too much, but it won't be tested on the track. This car is a street car only (with a little drag strip time here and there).

Steve
Old 09-21-2004, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my 25mm 1" sphon sway and its thick! it will be on in a week or so, ill post my thoughts!
Old 10-17-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the TQ arm and rear sway went in this weekand.......very pleased!!!!

all i did was drive it home after the install , but ill do some more driving next weekand!
but to be in better detail from what i felt from the 5 min drive home was that i can now launch the car with a little more throttle than before. there is still wheel spin but without the shaking and wheel hoop before.... the wheel spin is very smooth and does not shack the car and does not hoop! and with DR im sure it will takeoff much better!
i only took 1 hard corner with the sway and the rear does slide out easier now...
but it is very controlable and feals solid.... after looking at the old bushings and that old wimppy TQ arm its easy to see how the new one has more control of the axle than the old stamped peice.....
Old 10-17-2004, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

M6HuggerSS, hows turning with this big rear sway bar? it is good? does the car fish tail or skid when you turn hard , does this bar cause alot of skidding when turning?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive only got about 10 min behind the wheel with it one right now... but under normal throttle it feals nice .... i only took 1 hard corner but stabbed the throttle to drift a little and the rear came out pretty easy, ill drive it a little more this weekand and see how it does..... overall im happy! nice parts, good mods!
Old 10-19-2004, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

let me know after you drive the car in the weekend if you like the rear swy bar or not, let me know your results...thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think any one suspension mod really changes the car dramaticly.... but all my mods so far have all helped make the car more solid and stable! i like the rear sway and will probly get the front one now!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I have a feeling that with my lowered roll center from the BMR upper panhard relocation and already pretty soft rear springs, the 25mm should be a good fit, especially with a 35mm front bar.
The BMR upper PHB relocation kit does not lower your roll center. You must lower the lower phb to do that. That is just a brace and has as much effect on the rear roll center as a STB has on the front roll center.

I currently have that bar. I like it on the street, but it is a bit much for autocross use (actually, it is way too much for autocross use and borders on extreme overkill). The rear of the car does not "skid all over the road", just be careful in the rain.

Have fun!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
i dont think any one suspension mod really changes the car dramaticly.... but all my mods so far have all helped make the car more solid and stable! i like the rear sway and will probly get the front one now!

And, actually, shocks change the car "dramatically". If nothing else does, shocks do.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

An alignment has a significant affect on handling ...
Old 10-29-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
An alignment has a significant affect on handling ...

Ok....that too. Shocks and an alignment may be the most impressive gains (for just two items) that you can do. You can make a huge improvement in handling with just those two changes.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Yeah, and just having changed both of those on my Camaro, it's really surprising just how badly these cars were tuned (suspension-wise) from the factory. My old 1990 RS Camaro cornered better than the '99 did....and my '83 Z28 felt like a Formula 1 car in comparison. Well, almost....

Until now!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by trackbird
The BMR upper PHB relocation kit does not lower your roll center. You must lower the lower phb to do that. That is just a brace and has as much effect on the rear roll center as a STB has on the front roll center.

I currently have that bar. I like it on the street, but it is a bit much for autocross use (actually, it is way too much for autocross use and borders on extreme overkill). The rear of the car does not "skid all over the road", just be careful in the rain.

Have fun!
Actually, it does lower the lower PHR, but only on the passenger side. Does it have to lower the driver's side as well to have an impact? I've never been good with suspension geometry...

Oh, and I really like my 25mm bar on the street, and especially at the drag strip. It has worked wonders to tighten up the rear, but after looking at my tires, you can tell I'm getting a fair amout of oversteer.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Actually, it does lower the lower PHR, but only on the passenger side. Does it have to lower the driver's side as well to have an impact? I've never been good with suspension geometry...

Oh, and I really like my 25mm bar on the street, and especially at the drag strip. It has worked wonders to tighten up the rear, but after looking at my tires, you can tell I'm getting a fair amout of oversteer.

Ah, I didn't realize that it actually lowered the mount. Actually, now that I think about it, I remember thinking that the mount they used looks way too flimsy for that amount of load and that it does lower it slightly.

Yes, it will lower the roll center slightly. However, the PHB should be level and lowered the same amount on both sides to do it properly. So, yes, it has an effect, I'm just not sure it is a good effect (not properly done?).

I stand corrected.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:03 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by trackbird
Ah, I didn't realize that it actually lowered the mount. Actually, now that I think about it, I remember thinking that the mount they used looks way too flimsy for that amount of load and that it does lower it slightly.

Yes, it will lower the roll center slightly. However, the PHB should be level and lowered the same amount on both sides to do it properly. So, yes, it has an effect, I'm just not sure it is a good effect (not properly done?).

I stand corrected.
I'll probably look into getting a bracket for the driver's side on the rear end made when I swap to a 12 bolt or the like...to me, I thought the mount was beefy enough, especially for daily driver use. I'm not so sure I'd put it through a road racing or auto x event, but who knows...as of right now, I'm keeping a close eye on it, and so far, it hasn't deflected any, and it has been on my car for close to three months.

Quick Reply: is a 24mm rear sway bar worth getting?