Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

lowering spring decision. help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 04:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering spring decision. help!

I've decided to take the beast down a notch but not really sure what to go with. I was thinking on going sportline, I really like the way they look but I don't want to sacrifice too much in the driveability department. If some one knows of other brands other than eibach that can give me the same look and work better, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2004, 05:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I put Hotchkis springs on mine last weekend, and so far I am very happy. They aren't a drastic drop, and the drivability is almost the same as stock. It's not what I would call "rough", but I do feel bumps and such a little more. I made my decision based on lots of reading and the pics in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=hotchkis

Good luck!

-Mike
Old 10-16-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my car on H&R stage 2 springs. Warning: These are very stiff as lowering springs go. They don't ride bad, but you can't use stock shocks with them, the ride will be terrible. Revalved Bilstiens or Koni SA's are nearly required.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Teching In

what about a progressive rate spring vs. a non progressive rate spring. is there much difference, if so, what?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Progressive rate springs (like Hotchkis) are designed to offer a "close to stock" feel. They tend to be a little harder on shocks because shocks can be revalved to match the rate of constant rate springs, whereas variable rate springs are a little tougher. For me, comfort was more important, so I went with the Hotchkis springs.

-Mike
Old 10-17-2004, 05:15 AM
Teching In

thanks for the advice guys! looking at the hawk from that link, hotchkis just might be the way to go. one more question though. do all springs tend to lower more after they have been broken in? Asking because I have read that it can happen, maybe not a lot but a little. This way when I DO get the right springs i dont want the ride lower than specified. while i'm at it, does anyone know if KYB AGX shoks are worth a crap?

Last edited by Mayhem_99; 10-17-2004 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most spring will "settle" after installation. The H&R's didn't settle much because they are "Block Settled" at the factory and are reasonably consistant (and mine have been on there for 2 years, if they were going to settle, they'd have done it by now).

The KYB shocks are "fair". They are a "cheap" shock. I'd go with a revalved Bilstien or a Koni SA as a first choice if it's in the budget. I'm not saying they are terrible, just that there are much better options for a little more cash (how much are those?).

Have fun!
Old 10-18-2004, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Well after lots of reading and thinking, i've decided to go with Hotchkis springs. I've read from many f-body owners that are very pleased with the ride and they make the car look great. I'll have to stick with the stock Decarbon shocks until I can afford a set of revalved Bilsteins. I think this will be a very nice setup considering i'm kinda on a budget. Thanks for all the help guys!

P.S. I will try to post some before and after pics when I get the springs installed.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Good choice! If you plan to install them yourself, get some narrow spring compressors to get between those coils.

-Mike
Old 10-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya the Hotchkiss springs are quite good and I've heard nothing but good things about them. I personally wanted the slammed look and the car is still very drive-able for me, even with it being 3 inchs off the ground with the LT headers. Obviously I drive very safely over bumps and watch what I'm driving onto... maybe scrapped 5-6 times in the 2 years I've had it like this.

Quick Reply: lowering spring decision. help!