Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

HAL QA1 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HAL QA1 suspension

I was told that the QA1 coil over kit for my SS would be great. what do all of you think of QA1 and what have u heard?
Old 10-19-2004, 02:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think that kit is pretty pricey. I was considering it for my daily driver. What is everyones opinion on these.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

For street/track shocks I think they are top notch...You cannot go wrong with the 12 way-adjustable...I have had them on my car now for about a year and I love them...With being able to adjust the ride height in the front of the car I can get the stance that I like...For cruisin around town setting 6 or 7 seems to work well...Then when you hit up the track set them to 1 ...
Even though they are a little pricey just do it right the first time and get yourself a set of QA1's...

Kevin
Old 10-19-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like mine as well. You can't beat the adjustment options.

I will say this make sure you have a good set of springs and I suggest using a full set fronts and rears. It will ride much better than mismatching springs like I did. BMR rears and HAL fronts don't match

Camaro01SS4life what springs are you running front and rear?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can't use the rear QAL coil over kit on F-Body's with out alot of work!
Understand Hals are not a street are handling shock/spring combo!
Can you drive on the street with them. Yes you can drive with blown shocks to.
They are built to transfer weight being drag raceing and stoping!
If you where to use a stock or performance shock you will solve 30% of the problem compared to the Hal front springs! If you like to just cruise, and only get on it is opean areas that a straight with room to brake your are ok!

When I had them on my 01" and hit the brakes hard the front of the car would kiss the ground (weight trabsfer). It is like driving a old Buick, with the soft suspension for grandma!

I still have a band new coil over rear kit that is going on my 92" but that is a drag only car the chute is going to stop that one!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

so what does that tell me? I hear that QA1 is the best to go with. and to do it right the first time so i should get the QA1 full coil over kit http://ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=suspension . that is the set i was thinking of. is it a good all around kit? i want it right first and to never do it again. tell me what up
Old 10-19-2004, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

I have had the QA1 Conversion on my SS all summer and love it!!!!
Highly Recommended!!! I Autocross, Drag Race, & Daily Drive my car on long trips and they are awesome!!! Adjustability is great!!

If you don't want the car to nose dive, I recommend the Front Spring rate to be 325lbs and not the 300lbs that comes in the kit!!! I have had no nose dive problems with the 325lbs spring rate up front. In the rear amrunning the stockV8 Springs and they seem to work well also!!!!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

01SLPSS : You can get different HAL/QA1 spring rates for the front? I didn't know there was a choice other than the drag spring or the regular spring. Would running the stock spring in front be a good choice?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Teching In

As for daily driving we set ours at #12. That nose will almost kiss the ground if you slam on your brakes set at #6. But it can be greatly affected by your height adjustment also. The higher your front sits the more compressed the sping will be, etc....
Old 10-21-2004, 04:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by No Juice
I like mine as well. You can't beat the adjustment options.

I will say this make sure you have a good set of springs and I suggest using a full set fronts and rears. It will ride much better than mismatching springs like I did. BMR rears and HAL fronts don't match

Camaro01SS4life what springs are you running front and rear?
I am runnim the QA1 drag springs up front, with cut springs in the back...I know cut springs, but its workin out pretty good...I first keeped the springs un-cut in the back...Drove the car for a bit and handling was pretty nice...Then I cut the springs down to where there is a 2 finger gap from the top of the tire and the wheel well...Took the car out again and noticed similiar results in handing if not a little better...

Kevin
Old 10-22-2004, 01:03 AM
12 Second Club

No Juice:
When you order the setup just ask for the spring rate you want. I went with the 325lbs springs and love them!!!!

You can run the stock front spring but it will cost you more because you need the optional hardware to run the stock springs.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When adjusting the ride hight, do you want to sping the spring perch up or down (tword the upper or tword the lower control arm)?
Old 10-24-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

well do you want to go up of down? Turn the uper nut up or down. Up with the spring perch makes the car go up! the second nut is a jammer nut so it doesn't move.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what i thought. Can you do it without compressing the spring (raise the ride hight) or is it to hard to turn like that? Becuase my car is slammed in the front right now and i want it back to or very close to stock ride height.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

No NO NO you can't get very far with raising the cars ride by hand! It hurts to compress 300 some pounds with a spaner wrench! Trust me I tryed it! If you have the HALS you can use a in car compressor but it won't work well as the coils get closer together the compressor doesn't fit! Have to do it of the car and WATCH your spring rates! You can't read the instructions if the springs you had arn't the same rate as the Hals and measuring will not work!
Old 10-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Teching In

You can turn them up as far as you want with the #212 Channel locks. No need to take them off the car. You can come close with some standard channel locks if you grind them right. PM me if need a picture of either..
Old 10-24-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MidnightWS6 - PM sent

2FAST4U - I had spring compressers on the car Sat. night and got them like up half an inch. Not far enough though, and then i started haveing problems with them fitting so i can not do it that way. Also couldn't get the spindle arm off the upper control arm. So if there is a way to do it on car, that would be awesome. Otherwise i have a feeling I'm going to have to take it in. We tried for 6 hours and got nothing sat. night.

And they are the HAL front drag springs that come with the f series shocks.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Teching In

The trick to being able to raise the spring is to lubricate the flat washer so it doesn't bind on the spring. I found that antisieze grease works well. Others have installed a bearing under the flat washer.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just want to thank all you guys for the tips here and there. Just finished it up tonight. Its back to stock ride height (maybe a little heigher but not much). I used a channel lock (#212) and it worked great. Spun a little easier with some WD40 becuase i coudn't use anything else to grease that washer up.

Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Glad they worked! Mine were almost stripped and those channel locks still didn't have any problems. Just for future reference, where did you find yours? I found mine at Super Chevy which doesn't help anyone.

Quick Reply: HAL QA1 suspension