Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broke a wheel stud..need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broke a wheel stud..need some help!

Today I was coming out of a store when I noticed that I was missing a lugnut on my driver side rear wheel. At first, I thought the lugnut fell off, but after a closer inspection, it turned out that the stud broke off.

Well, I took the brake and rotor off, and I am at a loss as to how I am going to get that stud out. Do you have to pull the axle to get enough room to get that stud out? If not, how do you guys do it?

My brother broke two of them and took it to a tire shop. They managed to replace both of them without opening up the rear end. Of course, he didn't see how they did it!

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did one today, take the rotor hammer it out and put a new one in. Its realy easy.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock rear end and ABS 4 or 3channel?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you can just hammer it out and then by a new one for like cheap an put that one in place, easy lik mtnm said, careful with the rotor
Old 10-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick replys! I will give it a try!

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Stock rear end and ABS 4 or 3channel?
I am ashamed to say this, but how do you tell if it is three or four channel ABS? It is a bone stock rear end, 2000 Formula.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mtnm2
I just did one today, take the rotor hammer it out and put a new one in. Its realy easy.
Well,

Got a BFH, and it come out in about a minute!

Thanks alot
Old 10-26-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Traction controled cars have 4 channel, non have 3. Its not to hard
Old 10-26-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a traction control car, there is a sensor in the backing plate. Remove the sensor, align the hole made with the stud and knock the stud out with a big hammer.

If you don't have traction control, then the axles will have to come out. You can beat and pry the old one out, but there just isn't enough room to get the new stud in.

Put the new stud in, place a few washers over it, run a lugnut down and tighten away. An impact gun works best, but it can be done with a ratchet.

The bigger question to answer is why did it break? I would consider replacing all the studs while you are going this far.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't have Traction control. I got mine in with out haveing to take the axel out
Old 10-26-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd be interested to know your technique ... that would be good information to have ...
Old 10-26-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just pulled the brake rotor off, the stud was small enought that I droped it between the e-brake pads and turned it to fit into place. Took about 5 min total. I might have used a shorter stud than you did, it was the same length as stock, but didn't have the part thats not threaded on the end
Old 10-26-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

That might be the difference ...

The stocker has that small taper on the end. Is that enough room to clear it in the axle housing?

I've been replacing the stock studs with APR studs. They are the same length as stock, but not tapered like the stockers.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I've been replacing the stock studs with APR studs. They are the same length as stock, but not tapered like the stockers.
You wouldn't happen to have the part number handy, would you? I would like to replace any future broken studs with the ARP's.

Anyway, I do not have traction control and was able to do the same as Mtnm2. I think your right that it has to do with that tapered end, as the Advanced Auto part I bought does not have that, and it slid right in.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...32&prmenbr=361

PN 070-100-7708
Old 10-27-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to pull the axel. If you don't have traction controll there is a depression in the backing plate where the ABS sensor would be. Locate this stamped in depression and drill a 3/4 in. hole using the depression to center the drill bit. The hole will line up with the studs and you can put in any length bolt or stud you like.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

I don't have TCS either, and I've replaced A LOT of studs over the past year with no issues. Just take off the caliper and rotor, then bang out the old stud. Then to get a new one in, you 'can' take off the emergency brake setup (I never did, but my mechanic did it the last time) and then you have more room to get your fingers behind. Just pull it through, then put a lug nut on, use an impact gun to pull it all the way through. After you put everything back together, torque it down, then keep a torque wrech with you, because you'll have to retorque it in a couple of days. That's why mine kept on breaking, because I'd only torque it the first time, then they'd pull themselves the rest of the way through and be loose.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Put a couple oversized washers behind the lugnut when you pull it through the housing.

The knurled shoulder stick out beyound the face of the housing after the lugs are cinched down. If you don't use washers, the lug nut will bottom out against the shoulder and the face of the stud isn't pulled all the way into place.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had to pull my axles to get ARP 3" studs in, it wasnt hard at all to do, just remembering where I put the damn C clips was the most difficult part...

I pulled the axles out and took them to a machine shop and had the studs pressed in, did the spindles as well, cost me 20 bucks for everything.

Quick Reply: Broke a wheel stud..need some help!