Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 02:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs

i have posted about this before but now i have a new situation...
for those of you that dont remember i need to get my car back to stock height....well i found a guy selling springs for a great price on the board. they are off a 02 Z28. my question is will they fit on my 01 TA and get it back to normal ride height since i am stuck driving my car through the winter.
thanks in advance
Bryan
Old 11-03-2004, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

Shouldn't be a problem with getting it back up for you. What kind of spring do you have in there now? You could even put a set in a V6 and it will fit, it would be stiffer but it would work. Just don't go the other way of V6 to V8, the Z is a fine option.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the springs will fit but it will be a lot of work changing the front ones, and you will need to get a wheel alignment done. You could just get some taller tires for winter use. Or, better yet, install a set of coil-overs so you can adjust the ride height when ever you want.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

True, anytime you change the geometry and ride of your vehicle you need to realign the wheels. Coil overs are a great option but really expensive for a good set. I can understand it for SCCA but he might not want to invest that kind of cash. I like the idea Cal, he should put some 275/75s on there, plenty of meat then to pop you right up.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

The Ground Control brand of coil overs are the cheapest and work well, but still may bust the budget. For driving on snow a 275 is too wide; 215's or 225's work best. It's nice to have a separate set of wheels to put them on too. I have 18x10.5 wheels for summer, 16x10's for SCCA racing, and 16x8's for winter with 225's. I sold my 17x9 ss wheels to trackbird because the wife was bitching that I had too many wheels!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Should have just chromed one and tilted your hat to the side and hung out with the ricers. Ground Control are nice as hell, I would love to get my hands on the set. Of course I'm kind of fond of having both my kidneys so I don't see it in my immediate future.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

I've already got rid of one kidney, and still no damn coil overs on my car! It's OK, trust me, you will still feel the same with only one kidney! In reality I think it's only $450 for a set of GC CO's, so you shouldn't need to sell off any organs for that. Besides, a set of taller tires and some cheap wheels could cost that much.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

But then you know what goes with upgrading one component, then you will want 36 way adjustable shocks and a adjustable torque arm with flux capacitor. the list just goes on and on...
Old 11-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah that's true, but if you hang out around here, you've probably already fallen into that trap. I guess it beats spending your money on women! BTW, where I can I get a flux capacitor equipted TA? That and some CO's and I'll be good to go!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Teching In

thanks for the replies even though my thread got i hijacked....haha who cares. i plan on putting some snow tires on the stock rims and then hoping for some ZO6 rims next summer but we will see what the budget is like.
mysstery_machine- i dont know what kind of springs they are because thats the way i bought the car and i hate them. the ride is horrible...i know with lowering springs your gonna lose some ride quality but this is seriously horrible.
thanks again
Bryan
Old 11-03-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

H&R are the way to go, I have always used them to swap out the stockers. Ride feel is the same until about the second or third coil then it stiffens up and gets real fun. Sounds like cut or some extreme Eibachs if you hate them that much.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Teching In

where can i find the H&R's?? and do they lower the car at all?
Old 11-03-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

They do lower the car I think it's written as 1.4" and you can get them a few places. Do a web search to get the right part number from their site. You can get them there because they route you to local distributors. They also have some other pieces there as well that you may be interested in. Once you get the number though you can get them through Cardomain's store, it saves you about $100. Best of luck, it will ride like a Caddy until that fateful coil then it's GREAT!

Quick Reply: springs