Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Dust

I have the Brembo drilled and slotted rotors with Wagner brake pads and they just dust terribly. Is it the rotors causing the dusting more or is it the pads? I never noticed this much dusting with the stock rotors.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The dust comes from the slotted and drilled rotors. The slits and holes eat up the pads much faster than on the stock flat surface. That's the trade off for getting drilled and slotted rotors, more brake dust. It's even debatable whether slotted/drilled really even help you, not to mention the fact that the disc's integrity has been compromised with the drilling. But, that's a different story.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats what I figured
Old 10-09-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
The dust comes from the slotted and drilled rotors.
Uhm, not necessarily true..... at all. Dust comes from the pad, not from the rotor.

Weather or not you have drilled/slotted rotors doesnt mean that the rotors are causing the dusting issue. Some, if not all performance pads have dusting issues not related to a rotor at all. It is true however, that slotting will help 'clean' the pad.... but it doesnt necessarily mean that it is cutting into the surface enough to eat the pads up. If it did, you would be replacing the pads every four to six months. Wagner pads are dusty, just like most of the true performance pads that are available.

Cross drilling does provide out gassing (but at the cost of mass and surface area), except for in an extremely wet environment and that is even negligible.

Slotting provides some out gassing and it will clean the pad surface, which may accelerate pad wear, but it to is even negligible.

Both however, will increase noise. Even more so if the rotor is coated, but that occurrence will go away once the rotor/pad path is cleaned of the coating itself.

Not trying to or question your direction and knowledge..... just clairifing to real differences. There can and most likely are more than one cause to his stated brake dust issue. But to call its cause on the rotor alone, is quite trivial.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Good info. And I did mean that the holes/slots in the rotors cause increased wear of the brake pad, per the 'cleaning effect', not that the rotor dusts.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys
Old 10-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
The dust comes from the slotted and drilled rotors. The slits and holes eat up the pads much faster than on the stock flat surface. That's the trade off for getting drilled and slotted rotors, more brake dust. It's even debatable whether slotted/drilled really even help you, not to mention the fact that the disc's integrity has been compromised with the drilling. But, that's a different story.
since installing cross drilled and slotted rotors, my car dusts up the wheels less! i used to wash my car all the time because the rims would be dusty from brake dust. but now i was the car because the car is dirty. for me the cross drilled and slotted rotors proved to be better because there is bearly any brake dust and my rims stay cleaner longer.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane
Uhm, not necessarily true..... at all. Dust comes from the pad, not from the rotor.
Not if you run pads like I do. Then you get rotor dust as well (the pads grind up the rotors). My original 16" alloy wheels actually started to rust when stored in my garage over the winter....there is that much metal/iron coating the surface of the wheel. Aluminum won't rust, but the iron embedded into it will.....

This is not a problem for most people though....
Old 10-10-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trackbird
Not if you run pads like I do. Then you get rotor dust as well (the pads grind up the rotors). My original 16" alloy wheels actually started to rust when stored in my garage over the winter....there is that much metal/iron coating the surface of the wheel. Aluminum won't rust, but the iron embedded into it will.....

This is not a problem for most people though....
I know what you are saying. During the developement of Andy Porterfields "R4" and "R4-S" compounds, I ran into the very same problem. It wasnt dust from the pads, but the pads would sinter the rotors enought that the metal actually embedded itself into the wheels and any chrome trim that was in the path of the dust plume, upon brake application.

The worst part is, that during development and before anyone had replacement 4-piston replacement rotors for the testing vehicle, is that if you ran the R4-S compound on the street it would eat 0.220" from the rotor in less than 90 days of street driving...... but man, did it ever stop !! Luckily this led to the developement of the "S" compound, so that you could get it in a street friendly version.

Here is a picture of my Principal Engineer, holding our new front brake package for the developement chassis, which just happends to be my personal '67.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

That is one big rotor.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust