7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Hotchkis vs. DMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hotchkis vs. DMS

I was just wondering what the major difference is between the two and what some of you guys think about each. I just bought the Hotchkis springs and now I'm having second thoughts. I have a 2002 Z28 with an all out suspension. Koni SA's up front and rear, hotchkis strut brace, BMR control arms, adj panhard rod, relocating brackets and an adj torque arm and BMR sway bars. so I should be set from what most of you guys are saying on the board. What do you guys think of my setup and do you have any suggestions.

Also is the plasic collar under the dust cover of the front koni SA shocks suppose to be sliding up and down when you flip it over and then right the shock again?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Everyone will have a different opnion on this it has been beat to death.
Here is a link that might help you out.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/350189-vote-now-dms-lowering-springs.html
Old 11-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have pictures of a camaro or TA with TTII's and droped with hotchkis springs?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a set of Hotchkis springs waiting to be put on. They will be put on with a set of koni SA's along with the hotchkis suspension components )sways, panhard, strut bar).
Old 11-30-2005, 05:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd vote Hotchkis.... For a number of reasons, not limited to spring rates, but mostly involving those and the dampers to run with them.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-30-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'd vote Hotchkis.... For a number of reasons, not limited to spring rates, but mostly involving those and the dampers to run with them.
What shocks would u recommend with these (Koni's are great, but too expensive)? HD's all around? HD's rear and Koni's front?

Last edited by Intimidator SS; 11-30-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I have the SAs/Hotchkis combo on TTIIs and I don't have any pics handy. I'll see if I can get them posted up. Koni SAs are awesome. The Hotchkis springs from what I read are within the preferred spring rates for the F body according to the seasoned members of the board. But, they are on the low side of that spectrum. They handle great and they ride pretty well also with the SAs. They are a perfect middle ground IMO. You should search and see if you can find more opinions from Hotchkis owners.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

HD's are not meant (and Bilstein themselves say) not suitable for lowering springs, so I'd not recommend those. This is the reason we offer the Revalved Bilstein's. Simply put we take HD's, and add damping where needed to control the higher spring rate of lowering springs. And because springs are different from brand to brand, we don't do just one revalve, but every customer gets what his shocks and driving style require.

Might have other options as well, but Koni's or Revalves are your best bet. Koni/HD's simply don't save very much at all, about $40 compared to the Koni setup that is $705 and uses the 3rd gen rear shocks. And for $40 it's silly to give up the adjustable rear shock.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
HD's are not meant (and Bilstein themselves say) not suitable for lowering springs, so I'd not recommend those. This is the reason we offer the Revalved Bilstein's. Simply put we take HD's, and add damping where needed to control the higher spring rate of lowering springs. And because springs are different from brand to brand, we don't do just one revalve, but every customer gets what his shocks and driving style require.

Might have other options as well, but Koni's or Revalves are your best bet. Koni/HD's simply don't save very much at all, about $40 compared to the Koni setup that is $705 and uses the 3rd gen rear shocks. And for $40 it's silly to give up the adjustable rear shock.
And how much would that setup run (Revalves/Hotchkis)?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

$729 plus shipping. Being you are in Texas, total would be about $770-ish shipped. Revalves are custom built for your order, they are not already built and that takes a few weeks to accomplish. Also because they are custom, they are yours when you order them. If something really unforseen happens I'll try and help, but if I don't have another person needing a very similar setup, I cannot take back shocks that have been revalved.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Sam thanks alot for all your help over the phone. I put the Hotchkis springs and Koni SA (4th gen) shocks that I ordered from you on. Everything is handling great but the rear left is slightly higher then all the other sides, both front wheels and the right rear are lower. I can put about two fingers between the tire and fender on the other three wheels, whereas on the rear left I can put three fingers easily. What could be wrong? I had everything professionally installed so I'm just wondering why this is and if it's something that needs to be taken care of?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Could be a lot of things, but I'm sure it's an installation issue, not a parts problem. Upper pigtail of the spring has to be completely seated in the upper isolator, if it's not it acts like a screw and jacks the car up a bit. Also, if you turn the spring so the bottom pigtail is at the back side of the axle, that will help to lower the car as well.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Is there anyway that I can adjust the "seating" into the upper isolator without having to take the spring off the car. I adjusted the pigtail so that it was aligned in the same position as the adjacent rear spring. It adjusted it alittle bit however it's still not even.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not really.... BTW, you have to measure the car on dead level ground. Anything else, especially with a solid axle will make it look messed up. Also, NO car is 100% the same ride height at all 4 corners unless they have coil-overs and set it up that way.

You could always swap the rear springs, if the LR is still high with everything seated properly, you'll know it's not a spring issue. And I suspect it's not.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

you might want to check it again. My driver side rear was lower than my passenger side rear when i added eibachs springs but all i did was remove the spare and jack and it is now even.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

I say Ground Control. Although I have no experience with Ground Control, I like the fact I get to pick my spring rate and adjust my ride height. I've had DMS springs, and they are nice. But there I always felt something was "lacking". I've since sold the DMS springs and will be going Ground Control soon.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Sam I also have a question about the Koni SA shocks, is the plastic collar on the shocks suppose to be sliding along the piston rod? and for the springs, will it even out after driving for a while on their own or should I look into swapping the springs in the rear.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No, the dust cover is to be attached to the top of the shock.

The springs are pre-set, and will not change much, if at all. Swap sides if you want, which will tell you if you do have a spring problem, but I think it's not a spring issue.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Yea the dust cover is set in place but I mean the plastic collar peice under the dust cover, not the black peice but the white peice around the piston rod under the black dust cover? is this suppose to be sliding along the piston rod. Someone told me that it's there to prevent the shock from bottoming out and that it doesn't really matter if it slides around? Is this true?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's supposed to be free. It just sits on the top of the shock body and gives a non-jagged place for the bumpstop to press against.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis vs. DMS