Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone with Factory SLP Bilstein Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post Anyone with Factory SLP Bilstein Suspension?

Long time ago on the SLP Forum I read that 02 Camaro SS with Bilstein suspension package that the reason the front looks higher than the rear is because the front fenders are cut out more making the car look higher. That the dimensions are even at the frame. The springs that were used with the Bilstein shocks are Eibach's progressive rate springs. Anyone know exactly what the part number is for the spring kit? I want to lower the front about 1/2" so my ride height is more even with the rear.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that package, and yeah my car does ride higher in the front drivers side. I didn't know that it was exclusive to the eibach springs though, I had heard that it was shoddy construction on the perches.

I remember doing a search on this awhile ago over on cz28 and people had acutally run several differant brands of springs and still had the lopsided look. I ended up putting spring spacers in the back to compensate.

BTW, what do you mean by the fenders being "cut out" more?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

^^ I am considerign buying the SLP package. Are you pleased with it? and how much did it lower your car? I would rather go with a different combo but I cant lower my car too much because I scrape my Y-Pipe with stock ride height.

BTW here are the part numbers:
Shocks and Springs set-P/N: 70002
Shocks alone-P/N: 70008
Springs alone-P/N: 70009

Anyone know the cheapest place to purchase the SLP kit?

Last edited by StealthFormula; 05-28-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Launching!

I really like it, but then again the only thing I had to compare it to was a non-slp optioned SS. I was always really impressed by the handling and the few times I went road racing in it it was more then enough to hang with the cars that should have been handing me my ***. Kind of rough though sometimes, but probably not nearly as bad as some set-ups.

IIRC the numbers on a stock Z around a skidpad were low 0.8xs while a bilstein/eibach equipped car was low 0.9xs. I know skidpad isn't everything but those are nice numbers.

I think the drop on them is a little less then an inch. Basically they were the same as the Eibach Pro-kits but had slightly higher ride height due to SLPs specifications.

I think for the money it's a greart package, but with 70k on my car I'm going to toss them and go with a Koni package someitme soon.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

The Bilstein package along with the SLP bolt on sub-frame connectors really make the car handle like it is on rails. Very nice. The ride is firm so driving over bumps you feel them. I can't make comparisons because I ordered my car with the Bilsteins.

Not sure what you are talking about the drivers side higher than the passenger side. Mine is fine.

About what I read a few years ago on the SLP forum "when it still existed!" Is that SLP said the reason the front looks higher than the rear is because the front fenders wheel well is cut higher than the rear fender. The frame dimension is level it's just the front plastic fenders are cut higher then the rear. So looking at the side of the car from the top of the rubber to the bottom edge of the fender the front is about 2 1/2" and the rear is 1 1/2" gap.

I was wanting the Elbach part number for the SLP #70009.
I want to order a front set of springs that will bring the front down about 1/2". I noticed that www.thunderracing.com has two diffrent spring heights (45-3870.140 and 45-4.7038. I just wanted to know what Eibach spring set I have and then I can know which springs to order to drop the front. I want to leave the rear where it is....Low. Don't need the rear any lower.
Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Now that I think about it hell I can't even order just two front springs.

I guess I'll just order the #45-3870.140 Eibach Pro-Kit Springs from Thunder Racing. It's just I would like to know what the heck I have right now before I order springs that might make my car sit too low. I heard the SLP factory Bilsteins will drop it 3/4" from Stock. Not sure because mine seems lower than that after looking at a few SS's that had the stock shocks and springs.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

I got the SLP suspension stuff (the "Ultra Kit", shocks, springs, 35/21mm sway bars, and bushings I never used) two years ago. I also got their SFCs and heavy duty LCAs. Yeah it handles pretty well**, but like you said, the front is "higher" than the back. I too am going to buy the Eibach Pro Kit and just use the front springs. I don't need the rear any lower either. But first, I have to burn these SLP headers. and their MAF.

**Some guy in a 1LE Camaro tried to out manuever me on some country roads a while back. Well, that didn't happen.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Yep I think I'll buy the Pro-Kit as well and just use the front springs.
The front just sits higher then the rear and when I happen to have other people and or luggage in the car the *** end squats and looks like I'm dragging the gas tank on the ground when you see the front higher like it is.
No headers on my ride but your SLP headers will drag the ground darn near if you change out your front springs.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Factory SLP Bilstein Suspension?