Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bump...bump...bump at very low speeds...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bump...bump...bump at very low speeds...HELP!!!

first of all, i just bought this car with 5k miles on it a few months ago. everything seems perfect except this one little problem. ive noticed at low speeds with my foot off the brake and accelerator there is a little bump...bump...bump that seems like it sounds with the rotation of the wheel. almost as if there was a big nail in the tire and u could hear it every time the wheel spun. ive checked the tires and theres nothing in them. i was thinking it might be a suspension issue, cuz i can also feel it, not just hear it. anyway, i can only notice it at very low speeds when im rolling to a light...like 10-15 mph. my suspension, brakes, and wheels and tires are all stock. does anyone know what this could be?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it's the tires. There's probably a flat spot in one of them (or all!). If the car only has 5k, that means it's sat around a lot and probably developed flat spots in the tires.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

that could be it. im getting new wheels and tires soon so hopefully that will go away. any other opinions??
Old 03-15-2007, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

I know it sounds crazy, but are all the lugs on the wheels tightened to specs? If any are loose, you could have the rim wobbling a bit and can get a knocking sound also. If they weren't severely loosened, you may not feel it in the car or on the steering wheel.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Might be a wheel weight came off.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most likely the tires, had 2001 lincoln LS with almost same problem. The one or all of the tires are "out of round" as the guy at shop called it. Replaced the tires and no more bump. Mine was constant with speed though, the faster you go the faster the bump.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

thx fellas, we will see after i replace the wheels and tires if the problem persists.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's what you do:

go out and do a few really smoky burnouts, then swap front/rear & rear/front, then do it again. maybe the heating up of the tires + the high-rpm revolutions will knock out any flat spots.

j/k

at the very least, you'd have some fun trying, and you won't have to worry about the tire life, since you're getting new ones anyway....

Last edited by 02Z28LS1; 03-15-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
here's what you do:

go out and do a few really smoky burnouts, then swap front/rear & rear/front, then do it again. maybe the heating up of the tires + the high-rpm revolutions will knock out any flat spots.

j/k

at the very least, you'd have some fun trying, and you won't have to worry about the tire life, since you're getting new ones anyway....

rear end makes a popping noise now??? not really sure why

i agree with most it is probably a flat spot on the tires, mine developes a flat spot after about a week of sitting in one spot, but it does go away after I drive for a while, but if it sat still for a few months before you got the car it may take awhile to get rid of
Old 03-18-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

check the bolts that hold the brake calipers to the brackets. They back out if you dont locktight em.

Quick Reply: Bump...bump...bump at very low speeds...HELP!!!