Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

You guys lie about sfcs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You guys lie about sfcs.

Well everyone knows that it is the consensus that sfcs are a great modification, they make a night and day difference you can feel "as soon as you leave the driveway".

I got some slp diamond style ones installed and I noticed nothing from them launch wise, handling wise, or anything. Considering i am running a cammed ls1 ttop car with full boltons and suspension i would expect to feel something. Heck, my stb makes more difference in handling. Yes i did do

My only reason for keeping them at this point is for frame reinforcement so i dont tweak it or anything.

Does anyone feel the same way?

My feeling is people claim a difference just to justify buying a set.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The main thing I noticed "as soon as I left the driveway" was a much stiffer ride. But the reason I put them on was the creases I developed in my quarter panels. I had them taken out, and many launches later, they haven't returned.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

They work...your car will not rattle and shake and your tops will fit properly much further down the road....BTW....NOT having them creates the CREASES.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the biggest difference when going over railroad tracks. It seems much stiffer. And it pointed out faults in my rear suspension; it now has wheel hop because the chassis no longer flexes. But that's just my car, your experience may vary.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
They work...your car will not rattle and shake and your tops will fit properly much further down the road....BTW....NOT having them creates the CREASES.
That's not true.... I've seen cars with SFC's develop the dimples after the SFC's were installed and there are cars w/o SFC's that don't have creases.

While I won't say anyone is lying (because some cars have issues that are helped by SFC's), I stand by my opinion, formed from talking to many hundreds of folks, and paying attention to other parts that those that have good shocks don't see as much of difference as those with crappy shocks. Keep the impacts out of the unibody in the first place.....

I sell SFC's. They are not in any way bad things. I just don't feel they are necessary like most others do. Then again, I have real dampers on my cars and always start there on customer's cars so it stands to reason I don't see as much change with them. BTW, I've had a few folks REMOVE them and see no change. But when they installed them they saw a huge help-the thing is in between they both went to Koni's from cheap shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I added SFC's last (after shocks, springs and swaybars) and noticed no difference. Mine are weld-in, so I'm not removing them, but I can't say it made a difference to me at all.

-Mike
Old 03-23-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's true. They are a hoax. The only difference I notice is when I'm pulling out the driveway sideways and the car does not flex. They will help in the future though.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I think what you mean to say is when you added them to your car, you had less or no more rattles/shakes.

I have them in my car and I have lots of rattles. Saying two pieces of metal attached from one point of your chassis to the other will all of a sudden stop all of your car's rattles is insane. There's tons of things that can rattle in the car. How would the squeaks and rattles coming from the hatch get fixed by sfc's under the car?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 PM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That's not true.... I've seen cars with SFC's develop the dimples after the SFC's were installed and there are cars w/o SFC's that don't have creases.
I installed SFCs on my car around the 5,000 mile mark. It now has about ~45,000 miles and huge creases in the quarters. So SFCs will not always prevent them. But, I did notice a big difference with the SFCs. I have the original weld in BMRs that hang low. Definitely stiffened up the chassis. I live a mile down a dirt road, and can tell the car is much stiffer.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

SFC's were one of the early mods on my T/A, probably around 2,000 miles. Now at 44k miles with LOTS of hard driving (drag, autoX, track days etc.) the car is rattle free. It does not have the rippled rear 1/4's, but my old '98 1LE Z28, which did not have SFC's but was also driven hard, did have them.

I have never used a shock tower brace (STB), and see no advantage in them whatsoever.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Well everyone knows that it is the consensus that sfcs are a great modification, they make a night and day difference you can feel "as soon as you leave the driveway".

I got some slp diamond style ones installed and I noticed nothing from them launch wise, handling wise, or anything. Considering i am running a cammed ls1 ttop car with full boltons and suspension i would expect to feel something. Heck, my stb makes more difference in handling. Yes i did do

My only reason for keeping them at this point is for frame reinforcement so i dont tweak it or anything.

Does anyone feel the same way?

My feeling is people claim a difference just to justify buying a set.
The biggest advantage for me by a competitor installing SFCs is they add a lot of weight.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

I can say that I thought I felt a difference on my LT1 (at about 30K miles) right after installing KBDDs. I noticed less of a difference installing SLPs on my LS1 (less than 10K miles.) I can say that when I put my finger at the T-top joints and driving over the same irregularities in before and after the installs that there was definately less movement in the roof area. I would say the movement was lessened by double. Every car is different though. I don't regret getting them though.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
BTW, I've had a few folks REMOVE them and see no change. But when they installed them they saw a huge help-the thing is in between they both went to Koni's from cheap shocks.
I'm one of those few.

Yes, the SFCs made a WORLD of difference when they were welded onto my car 5 years ago. However, I still had the ridiculous factory shocks.

Now fast forward five years, 20K miles, maybe seventy-five 1/4 mile passes and a few hundred autocross runs. I decide to take the connectors off last winter to drop down a class and I find that the car is almost imperceptibly different to the driver. Believe me, I've owned this car for 11 years and 110K miles so my butt dyno is quite sensitive to changes.

Passengers (ie. other racers and my wife) can't tell a bit of difference. Yet the car remains waaaaay better than when the connectors were installed.

After all that abuse, the car squeaks, rattles and shakes LESS now with the SFCs off than it did before they were installed five years ago. Why? Did the car heal itself? What changed?

The shocks.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had good results with my BMR sfc's. I have less rattle in my t-tops.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I also wouldn't say that people lie about their SFC's. I didn't feel any severe handling differences after adding them. If someone thinks they felt a difference but there was none, then that's not really lying.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just had my sub frames welded in yesterday and i can deffinatly say that i noticed a difference, the cars feels much more solid and firmer. i wish i did this along time ago.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, to me, it looks like a 50/50 shot.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

dont know what to think now! i have a convertible...it would have to help right?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure I have ever seen this asked but what are the main causes of the rattles? Is it the t-tops? Cause I still get them when the t-tops are off.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

T-tops on or off have nothing to do with it ... there are a lot of causes of rattles but the main ones are the cheap, hard, plasticky interior pieces and lousy shocks.

Solutions: 1. Buy a good set of shocks and install them. 2. Go through your interior, isolate the rattles, and shim, brace, stick, and insulate the offending pieces.

Forget about SFC's. They made my ride so much harsher that after a week I wanted to pull them off. Unfortunately, they were welded on so well that that was near impossible. So I've learned to live with them.

Quick Reply: You guys lie about sfcs.