Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Solid motor mounts VS poly motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of raising the motor up I have noticed that noone has mentioned this..

what are the pro's and cons of the spohn raising the engine up..

Im going to be doing a header install and have heard this is a good time to change the mounts as well soo.. just wondering what problems do you guys running solids have when the motor is raised up.. if any???
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

That is correct, our mounts are built to maintain all factory specs. They are a simple bolt in install, and you dont have to deal with some of the issues that competitor products bring about.

PM me for pricing or ordering
Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lswon80
Speaking of raising the motor up I have noticed that noone has mentioned this..

what are the pro's and cons of the spohn raising the engine up..

Im going to be doing a header install and have heard this is a good time to change the mounts as well soo.. just wondering what problems do you guys running solids have when the motor is raised up.. if any???

Raising the motor up causes clearance issues with many parts. Some have problems with Strut tower braces, exhaust hitting the floor boards, and i guess rarely but possible is transmission, or anything underneath hiting the floorboards, exhaust/trans/lines.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Parasoth
Get the new motovative mounts if your wanting to run solids, they state they don't raise the motor like spohns.
The only reason I bought Spohns is for clearance. Clearance for/around headers, clearance in the general vicinity of the motor mount area, and the weight savings was a bonus. The motovative mounts accomplish none of these and are almost as expensive.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 AM
FormerVendor

01ssreda4,

The intention of the product was to be used with aftermarket k-members that already have the stands built into the design, yet be able to also be used with stock k-members. Our mount when used with aftermarket k-members will give you an extra 1" of clearance around the block/mount area.

If anyone is serious enough to consider a solid mount, whats the probability that they also have an aftermarket k-member? Pretty high... When you do have an aftermarket k-member, what are the chances you are also going to consider poly mounts? Pretty high as well. Now price these as the last mount you will ever have to buy in comparison to a poly that you may melt/tear. Something to consider.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them. I was just stating why I bought the spohns. If and when I ever went to an aftermarket k member, I would consider yours as a viable option. With a stock k member, not so much.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just purchased the motovative solid mounts to be used with my UMI k member. I still have a brand new set of polys sitting here aswell. Are there any issues with the solids twisting the mm stands on the k member?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will update, I am going to pull my spohn solids this weekend and go back to stock. You shall see them in the for sale section
Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

The real question, as I see it, is: Has anyone gone from polys to solids on the same car/engine setup? If so, what was your opinion on the shakes and vibes difference between the two?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This what I'm looking to go with I have Poly right now.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=556

UMI’s light weight solid motor mounts for the 98-02 4th generation F-Body bolt into existing holes in the engine block eliminating the factory rubber motor mounts. Solid motor mounts are designed to work with the factory K-member, UMI K-member and many other aftermarket K-members that use a factory style pedestal mount. These solid motor mounts are CNC machined from 6061 aluminum, nicely sanded and finished with a hard anodize to prevent corrosion. These aluminum motor mounts weigh half the weight as the factory motor mounts saving 3lbs of total weight. Motor mounts are simply bolted in to place using existing hardware, no modifications required
Old 02-15-2011, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

We have our sets on sale for 90$ shipped right now
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motovative
Pictures of product?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know if these mounts have similar issues(aka 18ft prybar with 800lb gorilla to get them in) to poly mounts with lining back up on install?
Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

if you pull the pedestal out with the mounts...........you wont have a problem
Old 02-16-2011, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

You can find pics here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ew-design.html

There is an installed photo a little further in the thread
Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Motovative
I think I'll go with UMI.
It's hard to go with "The Original F-body Solid Motor Mount" when they're not even on the website.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
if you plan on updating your k-member eventually, I'd say spahn since their solids match up to their k-member as well as replacing the stock pedestal on the current k-member. So you could replace the motor mounts and then down the road swap in their k-member. You just become forced into using a spohn k-member at that point.

There are generic brand solids out there though that use the current pedestal. Summit racing has them if you look up motor mounts.
just so when others search and may come up on this thread why is this statement? "You just become forced into using a spohn k-member at that point" i have the Spohn mounts and a PAracing k member and they mounted up just like stock, the engine did lift a touch but that was the ONLY fitment difference. those mounts are probably the easiest thing i ever put on my car (engine and K were in the floor tho) and the best fitting aftermarket part ive ever used.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I noticed nothing but positive changes in my car going to poly mounts, but im thinking i should of just gone soild mount right from the start.

To the guys running soild MMs what are you running for a trans mount?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

II went solids and will never go back go any others. I love them ...for trans mount never use a solid mount, always use poly. Solid trans mounts should be outlawed
Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good to know Im planning on dropping my motor as soon as Iam willing to give up driving my car for a few weeks to put on my intake, cam, and have the new springs and such put in the heads. Im thinking perfect time for soild mounts and a stall

Quick Reply: Solid motor mounts VS poly motor mounts