Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

good lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good lowering springs

i have hotchkis right now but im about to buy new springs and i think i want something a tad bit lower...

so throw out some ideas?

i heard strano was good any better?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Strano springs are lighter than most springs on the market (good for less unsprung weight) and have good rates for their drop. But most importantly you need some quality shocks to damper the springs (Konis or revalve bilsteins). Stock/crappy shocks is like having a big cam in a stock engine with stock exhaust, its pointless.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Regular

well ive got QA1's upfront...and im ordering new rear shocks but i dono which kind yet...

i was looking at KYB adjustable ones cause they are cheap..

what are some good shocks for the rear that arnt tooo expensive?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

I just switched to Strano's there awesome, handles great, rides smooth
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by who281
well ive got QA1's upfront...and im ordering new rear shocks but i dono which kind yet...

i was looking at KYB adjustable ones cause they are cheap..

what are some good shocks for the rear that arnt tooo expensive?
1.) Dont mismatch front and rear shocks, its like having a shorty header on one side of the engine, and a long tube on the other.
2.) QA1 are drag shocks, which means they are soft to allow weight transfer to the back, bad for ride quality and handling.
3.)I have no experience with KYB's, but have head nothing but bad things about them, and they seem to be very low quality and always breaking.

Your best bet is to pick up either revalve bilstiens, or Koni SAs. You might as well do it right the first time and not worry about it.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Teching In

I've got a set of eibach prokits with less than 500 miles on them if youre interested
Old 08-11-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
1.) Dont mismatch front and rear shocks, its like having a shorty header on one side of the engine, and a long tube on the other.
2.) QA1 are drag shocks, which means they are soft to allow weight transfer to the back, bad for ride quality and handling.
3.)I have no experience with KYB's, but have head nothing but bad things about them, and they seem to be very low quality and always breaking.

Your best bet is to pick up either revalve bilstiens, or Koni SAs. You might as well do it right the first time and not worry about it.
well if im not gonna be doing any road racing and usually just going to be driving on the street occasianlly drag racing and taking it to the strip what would be my best bet?

also what are koni SA and revavles cause i cant find them anywhere?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

well if im not gonna be doing any road racing and usually just going to be driving on the street occasianlly drag racing and taking it to the strip what would be my best bet?
A "road race" setup will be way more comfortable than a drag setup. You can lower your car on stock shocks, just like you can drive your car without tires on your wheels, but its going to ride/handle like crap.

also what are koni SA and revavles cause i cant find them anywhere?
Koni single adjustable shocks, and bilstien revalved (strano sprec) shocks. Both can be found on the sponsor stranoparts.com.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

ya i realized that right after i posted that question im an idiot sorry....

but i guess im gonna do it right and sinnce i wont be seeing the strip that often and i like corners id rather get good shocks so...

i see you have the Konis ..would you reccomend those over the bilstien..cause im about to order the konis tonight unless the bilstiens are better?

P.S im going with strano springs
Old 08-12-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya i realized that right after i posted that question im an idiot sorry....

but i guess im gonna do it right and sinnce i wont be seeing the strip that often and i like corners id rather get good shocks so...

i see you have the Konis ..would you reccomend those over the bilstien..cause im about to order the konis tonight unless the bilstiens are better?

P.S im going with strano springs
I have no experience with the revalves, but from my understanding the main difference is the Konis are adjustable (and you can lower the front 3/4" with the lowering perch).
Order from stranoparts so if you have any questions you can call him.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

the main difference is the adjustment. which i think is real important... say you want to change springs, you can adjust konis to work well with probably whatever springs you go with.. stock, 450 pounders, 600 pounders

also, koni has a warranty

BUT revalves are cheaper.. and as long as you are certain what springs you will be running and are comfortable with someone else picking the rates for you.. they're probably a great option.