Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

top shock bushings won't stay put

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default top shock bushings won't stay put

the top rear bushings for my passenger side rear shock don't want to stay put. i've tried new bushing, and now i've actually got new shocks(from kyb to hal). it'll stay for a bit, but as soon as i get on it and the axle moves, the bushing moves and the rod rubs against the hole so i get a nice metal on metal sqeaking. anyone have any ideas? this last time i had them super tight and they still moved.
-josh
Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

One of the reasons I always re-use my original bushings... they appear to be longer and will "sleeve" the rod. (ooh, that's got me thinking I should go spend some time with my wife)

Even the Delco replacement shocks may come with a bushing that doesn't properly isolate the rod from the metal of the chassis... after my first shock replacement on my GTA in 1994, I went nuts with the constant squeaking. I finally removed the shocks and re-used my factory bushings... I'm on my third set of shocks and the factory bushings are still in use. I've done the same for my WS6's prior shock replacements, so I can't say if the shorter bushings would have made noise as in my GTA.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
One of the reasons I always re-use my original bushings... they appear to be longer and will "sleeve" the rod. (ooh, that's got me thinking I should go spend some time with my wife)

Even the Delco replacement shocks may come with a bushing that doesn't properly isolate the rod from the metal of the chassis... after my first shock replacement on my GTA in 1994, I went nuts with the constant squeaking. I finally removed the shocks and re-used my factory bushings... I'm on my third set of shocks and the factory bushings are still in use. I've done the same for my WS6's prior shock replacements, so I can't say if the shorter bushings would have made noise as in my GTA.
i may end up ordering some stock bushings if thats the case.....the aftermarket stuff was already on the car when i bought it years ago so i had no idea...thanks for the heads up!

josh

you don't have a part # on hand do you?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Didn't think you could order the bushings separately...

Anytime I get new shocks I usually just rip off the supplied bushings and throw them in a bin. I then remove my original bushings off the removed old shocks and use them instead.

If you can order them separately, that would be good to know.

In fact, I'll probably be doing this in a few minutes myself, when I head down to the garage to swap my rear shocks on my WS6.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Funny enough... when I pulled my old shocks out this evening, I did actually see a part number on one of the bushings. I was going to take a photo for you but forgot as I was cleaning up, and now everything's locked up and the security system's on and everything, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

But... (and anyone who's familiar with the dating scene knows there is ALWAYS a "but") there's a small hitch. In the past I've only used GM / Delco shocks in my cars except for this time around when GM has left me with no choice but to go aftermarket for my WS6. I tried to use the long original bushing with my new Koni DAs but the shaft is too thick! (yes, size does indeed matter).
So the original bushing won't fit without a great deal of force, and I wasn't willing to try that on new shocks.

So I used the bushings that came with the Konis and sure enough they had very very very short sleeves. So I had to make a serious effort to position the shock shaft in the hole as centered as possible such that the little mini sleeve could have as great a chance as possible to creep up through the hole nice and centered.

I had to use a small hydraulic jack to raise the axle to help the shock bolt fit through the axle hole while the upper shaft was flush up top, so once I had fastened the lower nut to the axle, I then continued to raise the axle bit by bit while jumping back inside the car and tugging on the shaft to keep the whole mess centered. Bit by bit, I snugged the lower bushing up against the hole until it looked pretty centered and there was enough friction to hold the bushing in place. I tightened things a bit up top using the upper bushing (also shorty) and then reinstall the wheel and lower the car.

Once lowered, I hopped back in and tightened some more up top.

Hopefully this is enough to avoid this dreaded squeak, but if I have to take everything apart one more time, I SWEAR that shaft thickness be damned, I WILL reuse the original lower bushing somehow.

Surprising how the aftermarket can't provide a better bushing than the crap they deliver with their shocks. All it would take would be to have one bushing sleeve slightly longer and the upper bushing having no sleeve (and possibly even a little relief to allow the tall lower sleeve to fit inside it).
Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Spoke too soon...

You are in luck: I did manage to catch the part number on a photo of something else. I tried to enhance the image to make out the part number and it looks like 10009135 or possibly 10009133 (the last digit being somewhat unclear).

Here's a comparison of bushing sleeve length. Should be obvious which one is the stock unit.

Here's the old shock in place with the car's factory original bushing... should be clear how there is no risk of metal-to-metal contact. Seems like a no-brainer in bushing design, I wonder why no aftermarket or replacement bushings follow this idea?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy cow, that is a huge difference!!! thanks a ton for the detective work, i'm gonna see what i can dig up now!
-josh
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
Didn't think you could order the bushings separately...

Anytime I get new shocks I usually just rip off the supplied bushings and throw them in a bin. I then remove my original bushings off the removed old shocks and use them instead.

If you can order them separately, that would be good to know.

In fact, I'll probably be doing this in a few minutes myself, when I head down to the garage to swap my rear shocks on my WS6.
Hey, I finally got around to getting these pics up:

The front bushings are the aftermarket, the back are the stock. I ended up cutting them down to get them to fit. I probably should have tried to squeeze them on because they are a lot softer, but it didn't seem like the threaded rod was long enough. The long nipple is the obvious difference, and it slides into the top bushing.

Part numbers. You can order them seperately(5 bucks for each bushing).

Quick Reply: top shock bushings won't stay put