Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Proper brake bleed procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Proper brake bleed procedure

Ok so I did a search and didn;t really find a correct procedure. how do i bleed the brakes on a '99 z28 with abs and NO tcs. I'm sitting infront of the right rear wheel... what do i do. and do i need to bleed the abs block? thanks for the help.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Launching!

start on the right rear then left rear then right front and left front. You don't need to do anything to the abs module. Are you needing to know how to physically bleed your brakes.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Just in case you do need step by step

You're gonna need another person in the car, some hose to fit over the bleeder screw, a container with brake fluid in it(that way you can tell when all the air is out of the line), and some new brake fluid. Put the hose on the bleed screw and have the other end of the hose in the container with brake fluid. Have the person in the car press on the brake. As they press you open the bleed screw. Be sure to close it back before they let off the brake pedal. You will do this until all the air is out. Be sure to check the level of your brake fluid resevoir occasionally and fill as needed with your new fluid.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i don't think there is any air in the lines i just wanted to try and bleed the lines because the front brakes were pulling a little under hard breaking. So i lay under the right rear tire last night with my mityvac and the fluid that is coming out is basically dark brown so i'm gonna do what i can to try and flush out the fluid. and i think i'll give up on the mity vac and just use my girlfriend.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was also a little concerned because people kept saying that you have to bleed the ABS block. I guess i'm going to not worry about it.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:06 AM

People talking about bleeding the ABS block are talking about after installing a line lock.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok cool no worries then.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Launching!

If the front brakes are pulling you may want to look into some new brake lines(the short flexible rubber line). Sounds like one of them may be going bad.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

fornt slider pins may be starting to seize.. check by removing wheel and wobling the floating caliper top and bottom.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kozak
i was also a little concerned because people kept saying that you have to bleed the ABS block. I guess i'm going to not worry about it.
When you are doing brake work, just try not to let the master cylinder run empty, and you won't get much air in the system. I did the front brake C-5 conversion a week or so ago and put a baggie over the end of the disconnected brake line, secured with a rubber band. Sure fluid still drips out, but not as much. When I hooked them back up the air to be bled was mostly from the new calipers being empty. Bled the fronts and good to go.

I read up on this before I started and was concerned because I have ABS and TCS. Sounded like I would have problems. But I think if you don't leave everything un-hooked for a long time you should be fine. I did the traditional one person pumping and holding the pedal while the other bleeds the brake and everything is good.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok so i blead the brakes today. the rears went great the fluid that came out for the first 5 minutes was basically black. I finished with the rears and moved to the front right ... and then the bleader broke off in the box end of the wrench. No **** if f&*king broke off in the end of the wrench. I wasn;t doing anything stupid like kicking the wrench i just had strong pressure on the end of the wrench and it twisted the f*&k off flush with the face of the caliper. So after a good bit of swearing i put the wheel back on and just added that to the list of things i need to do next weekend. so i move to the left front and try to redeem myself and i stripped the bleeder with the box end of the wrench. Basically a not cool day. What should i do, get a set of "tap outs" and try and get the bleeders out? or should i just get a set of replacement calipers from autozone? do the replacement calipers come with everything or are they bare? some advice from the experienced brake guru's would be much appreciated. thanks. p.s. i'm not retarded just really unlicky this weekend i guess.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anything?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Launching!

well that sucks. I would try and get the bleeders out if possible. I don't have a suggestion on how to get them out though. How much do new calipers cost?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot what they are called but you can buy some little screw out things that will get the bleeders out. I would do that before I bought new calipers. They make the same thing to get stripped bolts out. I just can't remember what they are called. I think I got mine at Sears.

Quick Reply: Proper brake bleed procedure