Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much Potential am I loosing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much Potential am I loosing?

I installed my Konis this last February. I did not have funds to buy new springs, so I put the Koni's on w/ stock springs that have 130K miles on them.

When I talked to Sam, he asked me "Why do you think you need lowering springs?" I tried to answer his question, but the only thing that came to mind was 'Because everyone else has them.'

I have been driving w/ the Koni's for 6 months now and they control rapid body movement VERY well, but the overall lean of the car in hard corners was not changed much from stock (just how long it took to get to full tilt). I want the car to tilt less in the harder corners, so should I am trying to figure if I need springs or sway bars.

I was thinking, if I have these great shocks, am I wasting some potential by not going to stiffer spring?

My car is a DD and it rides kinda rough right now over sudden bumps, but does not bottom out on some of the VERY steep driveways around here.

The Strano Springs have a perfect look on the F-Bodys and I know that proper R&D was done on them before they were put into production.

I guess my question is, will the possible degredation in ride quality be worth the extra handling on a DD with the great shock I finally got?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get some swaybars with some poly endlinks and mounts. Springs help control body roll, but sways help alot more without sacrificing ride quality.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have konis and Strano springs and my car actually rides pretty smooth after I got my shocks adjusted... I'm going to say get Strano springs. 1. Because they are the perfect stance. 2. There going to help handling. Oh and you said it rides a little rough now. How do you have your shocks adjusted?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You're in a win/win situation here, either one you choose (sways/springs) are going to improve handling and lessen roll. I went with the swaybars first because I'm still juggling the idea of lowering my car at all.
Front one went on first, the steering was much more responsive, less nose dive/rear squat, and I didn't notice any difference in ride.
Rear went on a week or two later, car felt much more "complete", the rear turned much better with the front, car is very very stable. Noticed the ride is slightly more rough, but certainly not unbearable and worth it for the better handling.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get sways! Big difference!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Teching In

bump
;;;;;
Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put on thte strano springs recently, and I noticed it helps the car stay much flatter through turns. And the best thing I noticed is that the brake dive has gone away too
Old 08-26-2007, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

sways over springs. the stock springs provide the best ride quality and they really have a decent rate for cornering and braking. most people lower their car for looks. if you want it to look better cool but you will worry about scraping over speed bumps and steep driveways.

fwiw, im not lowering mine but will be ordering bilstein shocks when i can save up the cash.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another vote for sways. Not lowering mine either but upgraded to Koni DAs for the front along with a bigger sway bar. Ride is pretty impressive even with the stock springs. I've still yet to touch the rear shocks or sway.. plaining some Konis for the rear and keeping the stock bar but upgrading to poly on the rear.