Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Brake Caliper Advantage??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Brake Caliper Advantage??

I have seen a lot of people puttin the C5 brake calipers on their 4th gen F-body. Now I know with this brake system you can fit a 1" bigger rotor. I have seen pics of the calipers and they are twin piston, like the f-body. Now what is the advantage in the corvetter caliper? Are the pistons different size in OD giving them more force in hydraulic pressure??
Old 09-09-2007, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't suffer from caliper spread as they are made differently. Important on a road course, not the street.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5 calipers are pressure cast not gravity cast, piston size is actually a little smaller from what I've heard.......... Some of the C5 conversion brackets require the use of C5 calipers while others do not. Biggest advantage of the C5 conversion is the bigger rotor, C5 calipers do not really give you anything additional unless you are road racing IMO
Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Like said above, the C5 caliper is stronger but has slightly smaller pistons which means slightly less brake force, but this is offset by the larger rotors.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thankz guys for the info. I had previously bought a full set of EBC rotors (slotted and dimpled) and red stuff brake pads. I didnt find too much difference besides the extra high wear in the rotos and pads. A bad $550 worth of money. But i want to upgrade the braking system w/out braking the bank. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????
Old 09-11-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would suggest slotted rotors, ceramic pads, and braided lines.

youll see the slotted versus drilled rotor argument all day long. ive used both, never had a problem with either, slotted seemed to wear through pads faster, but with drilled i was always worried that they would crack under heavy use.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Banned

A plain faced, curved vane rotor is your BEST choice for road course use. Anytime you slot or drill the rotor, you are taking material away from it and reducing its heat sinking effectiveness. You also create stress risers and so on which can propigate into cracks.

As far as the off-gassing argument, unless your running crappy pep-boys brand brake pads, your probably not going to notice much if any brake fade. If your running pads like Hawks, your not going to get much off-gassing at all.

The smaller pistons in the C5 caliper, if I remember my hydraulics lessons from back in the day, will provide a greater force upon the pad due to the smaller surface area on the piston. (If Im wrong about the force, I know for a fact that it will move faster than the larger piston, which will provide better braking response... in theory)
Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Yes you are correct abou the laws of hydraulics. The smaller piston will give you greater braking force by the increase in hydraulic pressure from the reduced surface area.

Im going to buy some decent slotted rotors and ceramic pads. Like I already have.

But this time I will have them Cryogenically frozen. I will report back to you guys and let you know how the wear of the rotors/pads was affected.

Quick Reply: C5 Brake Caliper Advantage??