Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Double Adjustable PHB.... Something missing? (W/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double Adjustable PHB.... Something missing? (W/Pics)

Last night I decided to install PHB relocation kit and a double adjustable PHB. So I got the PHB relocation kit on, and went to install the PHB and noticed something was missing . So I snapped these pics. Can I use the stock bushings? What and were can I buy something to make up the difference!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol, yeah... spacers

you can buy some, maybe, from UMI or somebody else who machines stepped spacers..

or you can find a tube that fits through the hole and is large enough for the bolt to pass through then cut a larger tube to fit on each side that the smaller tube passes through. if that doesn't make sense, i can try to do a better job explaining
Old 10-05-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Lol, yea, that makes it tough. they shouldve come with it, where did you get it from?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got it off a member on the board... I'll be looking at UMI here in a little bit. On the other hand Can I take stock bushing off and reuse them.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWNLT1_T/A
On the other hand Can I take stock bushing off and reuse them.
How do you plan on doing that?
Are you going to cut them up in some way?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock bushings won't work, you need some sort of spacer/s.

You would have to press out the bushing to keep it in one piece. And then how would it fit...?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well summumabitch!!! I guess I will continue my search as to where I can purchase some spacers...
Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said... you can do it with tubing...

get a section of tubing with OD just small enough to fit through the hole in the rod end with ID just large enough for the bolt to fit through. This will keep the rod end from having slack to push-pull on the bolt. If the hole in the rod end is small enough you may not need this inner tube, but you usually do.

get another section with ID large enough for the first piece of tube to fit through and cut two pieces- one goes on each side of the rod end. these keep the rod end centered on the bolt/tube that passes all the way through the rod end. the two halves + the width of the rod end need to be just a hair wider than the tube going through the middle so that the two halves hold the rod end in place when you tighten the bolt.

purchasing spacers from someone else only works if your rod ends are the same ones they cut the spacers for.

You might just go ahead and get whole new ends and spacers together. if you dont feel up to making your own.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Resident

sounds like you got ripped, unfortunately
Old 10-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

You might be able to push the spacer out of the stock rubber bushing and cut it to fit but I think it's to thin and has a seam. You need a solid spacer. A PHB doesn't really need special rod end spacers since it doesn't move that much. Usually you need tapered rod end spacers when they are in 4x4 steering systems, etc.
I've seen good spacers at Ace/True Value hardware stores, maybe lowes. You'd still need to cut them to fit.
If you're not in a hurry order from the PHB manufacturer. I did with UMI once and they seemed to go out of their way a bit to get me the parts which is good.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just find out what size the rod end hole is, drill out the factory bolt holes to that size. I would guess it is a 5/8 hole.

You can just cut spacers out of aluminum tubing without having to use stepped spacers, which will be stronger and easier to replace, you just cut a new section of tubing and no machining required, a 1 foot section of pipe would give you life time bushings =)