Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

went from 2.73 gears to 4.11, bad vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went from 2.73 gears to 4.11, bad vibrations

Since I changed my gears my car has been nearly undriveable. I swapped in a replacement aluminum driveshaft and it helped.. but still bad above 50mph. I ordered a UMI adjustable transmission mounted torque arm from LM for $327 shipped with angle finder and new bolts. If this doesnt fix the vibration im going to flip out and drive the car off a cliff with me in it. I dont care about traction and racing --sure i like to beat up the occasional corvette but not at this expense. the car has these pulsating vibrations above 50 and they get much worse as speed goes up. I have a 40 mile each way commute to work. The shop that did my 4.11 gears said they had to replace my transmission mount which I think is now a solid one. that attributes to some, but even if i turn the car off while rolling down the road there is a fair amount of vibration. Next week when i get the parts we'll have to see how far off my pinion angle is.

I wanted a torque arm that didnt use the transmission but i was worried about clearance for my long tube headers and that my car is lowered 1.2"
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look to the pinion, the pinion yoke. You had to drop
this for the swap, sometimes one of the possible
orientations is way better than the other for balance.
Simply rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees and re-bolt-up
to see if this improves things. Also check for pinion side
play, any slop at all. If you swapped U-joints then that
can also add a significant imbalance.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the pinion gear in the rear end set correctly; often shimms are necessary to aviod mis-alignment of the rear gears?

What, exactly is noisy?