Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LT1 lowering springs, what drop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 lowering springs, what drop?

Hey guys I was looking at lowering springs today and I can't decide if I want a 1.4 in drop or a 1.6 in drop. I thought maybe you guys would have a good idea on what drop to get in this section.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Strano's period, The best spring for a F-Body
Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much do they drop the car, I have Pacesetter long tubes and Pacesetter un-coated 3in y-pipe.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

They drop the car 1.2 inch

Like rocket said, Hands down they are the best Fbody spring out there

You have pacesetters which give better ground clearance...i have Jethot LT's on mine that have the 3" collector which isnt the best option with lowered cars, but have Zero problems with Strano's springs...You should also pick up a set of Koni Shocks to back those springs...you'll love the ride of the car

Heres my car, lil koke with the bling bling since the camera caught some bling off the C6's

Old 11-03-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

What is so great about the Strano shocks. Not flaming them, just wondering. The WS6 I just bought has Eibachs and I don't know if those are too good for the 1/4 mile.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at some Ksport springs off ebay they run 115 and drop 1/6 which I think would look pretty sick. Because 1.8 in sportlines are too low for me.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You'll get exactly what you pay for.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

If you only care about looks and don't even consider ride quality or handling one bit, then comparing ride height is probably the only important thing. Most spring manufacturers unfortunately only advertise their ride height.

But if you care about ride quality and handling, then you also should consider spring rate, progressive vs linear springs, how consistent the ride height actually is with the advertised height, weight, etc. I wouldn't touch most of the available springs out there with a 40 foot pole never mind that ebay cacca.

For example, if you just want your car low as possible then you could get sportlines and then ride your bumpstops hard and have a crap ride but it looks cool to a lot of people (but not to me). Also a lot of people with both types of eibachs report different ranges of ride heights.

There's a "big picture" that a lot of people overlook when they buy springs and I am just throwing this out there so that you know before you go out and buy. I have not tried many springs for the Camaro, but I'd highly suggest considering the Strano performance springs. I stayed away from buying springs for a long time because I didn't like anything out there for springrates, so I was pretty psyched when I heard the Strano springs were coming out a year and a half ago. Couldn't be happier with the springs.

PS.. I'll even say that a 4th gen on konis and strano springs is more comfortable than my stock STI. I realized that after taking the camaro out for a ride recently. I just bought the STI.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

I am getting rid of my Sportlines that drop 2 inches and getting the Strano/Koni combo. Heard mad reviews about them and nothing but good stuff has been said.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright thanks guys. See cash is low at the moment but this combo I was talking about would be occuring in april, b/c before this I am getting SFC's and a STB. Both UMI, SAM STRANO what would a set-up like yours run? I would like a 1.6 (somewhere in that area of a drop) and some good shocks?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I sell UMI's products, they are on my website, along with our suspension parts. 1.6" drop is too much for things to work right, and you need to realize that with a lot of springs, the approximate drop is not always the real amount. I'd suggest you don't worry to awful much about tenths of an inch on paper, and look around at pictures of cars with springs, including mine. And think about how a suspension works, it need to travel, the more you drop it, the less it can travel, and the less shock travel you have to damp the motion. I won't go more than 1.2 or so lower because you just run into more problems. Dragging headers, suspension geometry, breaking shocks etc, etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Looking at some Ksport springs off ebay they run 115 and drop 1/6 which I think would look pretty sick. Because 1.8 in sportlines are too low for me.
Heh, this is funny.
I've never heard of Ksport so I google searched them looking for spring rates. Got to their official site and they don't even list them, but to top the icing on the cake the spelled Camaro wrong:
http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/springs...roduct_id=sp01
"Camero"
Would you buy from a company that doesn't even know how to spell your car's name???
Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell no now, tha I know that.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks same strano, could you set me up right now with some UMI stuff like SFC'S and a STB?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Hey what do you do with your car? Daily drive it? Drag race it? You interested in autox??
Old 12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Thanks same strano, could you set me up right now with some UMI stuff like SFC'S and a STB?
Well yes.... but there are two STB's (mild steel and Chrome-moly), and a lot of different SFC's. Bolt-in or weld-in, and 2 point and 3 point. I can't just give you pricing without knowing what you are looking for. All the prices are shown on our website. If you need help deciding on what you want or need, my job is to help you. But you need to be able to help me help you with information like what you are trying to accomplish.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I'd really like to see the strano springs on an LT1 t/a. As per the last spring debate I got into, I liked the higher rates the Strano offers and the non progressive nature (if I remember correctly). Where I am right now with mine, is a streetcar, that will see little to zero track time, but will get flogged through the twisties occasionaly.

That said, I love a good stance. From the LT1 pics I could find, the wheel/tire combos have been slightly less than flattering in what I'm trying to see for stance. I would like to run factory WS6 wheels and the matching aspect tire.

I don't see how $ really comes into play because its only like a $20 difference from most other popular brands. Shipped too. My only other concern is how well an AGX will do with the stranos for MY purposes. My 'choice' combo will be of strano/prokit?, AGX, adj panhard, the 3point SFC's and LCA's. I intent to streetdrive, remove the wheelhop and have a nice stance.

Opinions?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't think I have any links to pics of LT1 TA's on my springs. But it's not hard to draw conclusions about the look. What I'd do is look at LT1's with Prokits, both Chevy and Pontiac and get an idea how they look vs. each other with the same springs. Then you can do the same with pics of my springs on Camaro's. We do not slam the car, and frankly look very much like a set of LT1 Pro-kits. I doubt I could tell you if my springs or LT1 Pro-kits were on a car.

As far as the shocks. The AGX's will handle my springs as well as any they'll handle any lowering springs of similar kind of rate. The shocks work the way the shocks work, pretty much regardless of the spring you have installed. I don't mean to imply they don't work together, they do. But the springs don't magically make X shock work better.

AGX's aren't my first choice because they just don't aren't as polished in the way they work on a lot of surfaces (the more bumps the more the AGX's show their price).

Old 12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm strongly considering switching to strano's after reading so much good info about his products. I currently have the prokit on eibach struts, it rides rougher than i'd LIKE and sits so low. Think eibach struts plus your springs would work well Sam? The height doesn't bother me,it's more the rough ride, we have alot of **** roads in oklahoma.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Sam Strano I looked at your website and found everything I need thanks.

Quick Reply: LT1 lowering springs, what drop?