Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)

Today, I had a tad of free time so I took advantage of it so I wanted to install my BMR Torque Arm Relocation Bracket.

Before I took out my stock piece, I measured from the top sheet metal to about where the center of the stock TA bushing was. On my car it was 5 1/4".

I removed the stock tranny cross member, remove the stock TA mount on the tranny, I went to put the new BMR piece in place and it wouldn't go in, here I had the adjustable bushing mount installed on the wrong side. oops..

I reversed it, went to install it, I was like what the hell, the TA mount/bushing hole won't clear my Y-pipe! I measured from the sheet metal above, down, and it's almost a 2" difference. I was told 3rd hole from the bottom, I had to go to the very top hole and it's within a 1/8", much better.

I moved it up and go to install the whole tranny TA bracket/cross member. I get the bolts started and had a little trouble with one on the drivers side. I got the other 3 in and tried to get the 4th bolt in. No go, the bracket won't line up to the body of my car no matter what you do or however loose the other 3 are.

I believe the bracket was built/welded wrong as you can see in my pics. There is almost a 1/4" gap where the bracket should sit flush with the underside of my car.

My car is straight as can be, I ordered the car new, never been dinged, and only has 14,xxx miles on it, so I know for a fact my car is not the problem.

Another minor issue, when I removed the the stock TA mount/bushing, one of the bolts came out by itself and the other is intergrated into the mount. You need both bolts to put back in to hold the exhaust bracket for the Y-pipe. You would have thought that BMR would have included a extra bolt for this $254.00 TA Relocation Bracket.

Check out the pics and tell me your thoughts, I'm going to call BMR tomorrow to see what they say about this and about my other issue of the BMR TA mounting to my 9".

Bill
Attached Thumbnails More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)-ta-mount-issue-1.jpg   More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)-ta-mount-issue-2.jpg   More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)-ta-mount-issue-3.jpg   More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)-ta-mount-issue-4.jpg   More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)-ta-mount-issue-5.jpg  

More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)-ta-mount-issue-6.jpg   More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)-ta-mount-issue-7.jpg  
Old 11-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like in the 4th pic if you slide it back the hole would line ? the other bolt hole looks to be slotted for adjustment. you might have to enlarge the hole too on your ,but yes it suck the part is brand new and you shouldn't have to modify it .but i would see what bmr say's!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

It won't slide because the bolt from the tranny mount. Opening the hole is one thing, but it still won't fit flush and I shouldn't have rig it to make it work.

There is a gap, it seems that when the piece was welded on, it got cocked in the the jig.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks, you shouldn't have to slot anything when you pay for a quality part. But also, shyt happens too. I'm sure they'd switch it out if you send it back but looks like slotting would be much less of a hassle right now.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

The hole you left for last is the only one that's not slotted, judging by this and your other thread. Maybe if you put a bolt in the non-slotted hole first you will be able to align the rest of the slotted holes after. Just an idea.

Larry
Old 11-12-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

I have the same TA relocation crossmember but for a TH400 install.
Mine fit perfectly. Of course I don't have a Ypipe and never will again.

Call Lee and nicely describe your issues, I am sure he will take care of it. I have received excellent customer service from BMR which is why alot of thier parts are under my car.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

I just got off the phone with Lee and what a great guy he is. I told him about this post, he checked out the pics and after talking, he agreed to switch it out for a new one!

He also helped me out on my adj TA issue with my 9".

So far, great customer service. I also have other BMR parts on my car as well:

- Adj Panhard
- STB
- LCA

Thanks Lee, very glad I called you, your a great guy!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
The hole you left for last is the only one that's not slotted, judging by this and your other thread. Maybe if you put a bolt in the non-slotted hole first you will be able to align the rest of the slotted holes after. Just an idea.

Larry
I was also going to suggest what this guy said as well, incase your new one does the same.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

on a completely un-related note. That is a clean underside. Way to keep care of your car.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Billiumss let us know how the car feels after the bracket is installed. I'm thinking of getting one and was wondering if u can feel the difference driving around.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 98camarossturbo
Billiumss let us know how the car feels after the bracket is installed. I'm thinking of getting one and was wondering if u can feel the difference driving around.
yea let me know too, i got everything from BMR that is the only thing left for me, i got BMR k frame, upper and lower a arms, phb,tq arm, relocation brackets all quality pieces, Lee is great to deal with always comes through
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

when I put my yank crossmember of vibration increased alot!!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

I tried again last night and got all 4 bolts in but no matter what it would not sit flush against the floor pan.

I should get my replacement on Thursday, so hopefully the new one will fit perfect.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a couple slight issues with mine also. I just opened the holes a touch. One thing I do not understand is they say that the 3rd hole up from the bottom is the neutral or stock T/A location. On my car though, the TOP holes are still BELOW the stock T/A mount location. How can that be right?? the bottom of the torque arm bracket sits lower than any other part of my car. I can't use the bottom 2 locations anyway because the torque arm rests on my dual exhaust in the 3rd hole.
Bummer.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I had a couple slight issues with mine also. I just opened the holes a touch. One thing I do not understand is they say that the 3rd hole up from the bottom is the neutral or stock T/A location. On my car though, the TOP holes are still BELOW the stock T/A mount location. How can that be right?? the bottom of the torque arm bracket sits lower than any other part of my car. I can't use the bottom 2 locations anyway because the torque arm rests on my dual exhaust in the 3rd hole.
Bummer.
Perhaps the tech you talked to was confused On the automatic crossmember the 3rd hole from the bottom is the stock location do to the transmission crosmember is higher in the car. For the standard shift transmission the crossmember is lower so the stock location is the top hole in the conversion crossmember. We biased the crossmember for the 6-speeds based on our experience with needing more lower adjustments to lower the instant center in the car. Sorry about the confusion.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Well alrighty then!
Thanks for the clear up.
Let me ask you this though: with everything installed; the top most torque arm position is still below the tailshaft of the transmission. Stock the torque arm position is right next to the tailshaft. I figured the mounting bracket would still be in the same position as stock, just with adjustments.
Edumacate me!!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Do you have a stock rubber transmission mount on the car or a poly one?

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Poly.

Quick Reply: More issues with BMR Torque Arm Bracket (Build Quality)