Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

my car grinds on sharp turns

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default my car grinds on sharp turns

Hey guys i have had a problem with my ss since i got it. the right rear side of the car grinds like the tire is rubbing on some of the inner well. its more noticable when i have someone in the passenger side, and especially the right rear passenger side. it only grinds when i make sharp left turns though. i am about to do a lot of suspension work to my car and im wondering what i should do about this? what do you think it is? Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you take your tire off and find out visually where the rubbing was happening? It would probably be visually evident once you look at it. It sounds like the rubbing would be happening on the inner fender if I were to guess. What size wheels and tires do you have? What kind of wheels?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

i have stock 5 spoke ZR1 rims. i think they are 16inches stock. The tires are BFG gforce 240/75 ZR17s. Hope that helps. Also the rub mark is on the inside of the fender well right where it ends. Right where the hole upens up for the axle.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

May have worn suspension parts or bushings causing rear to shift a little and tire catches the wheel well.The tire size does not seem to be right may want to double check size, could be related to a wrong size tire.If you dont want to start replacing parts you can bang the inner wheel well in with a sledge hammer a little where the tire hits to give the clearance you need.Dont know if that will work for a F-bod, but it is a little trick I learned in the Mustang world to fit a taller and wider tire in the wheel well.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

it also seems not to handle as well when it comes to making left turns as it is making right turns. what parts could i buy that would fix this? i plan on getting new sway bars, SFCs, STB, and whatever else i need while trying to stay as close to stock ride height as possible.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

the actual tire size is 275/40 98W... if that matters
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Start off with finding out what is causing tire to rub on wheel well. If the axle is moving off center I would start with an adjustable panhard rod to be able to center the rear.Get a good set of lower control arms and shocks.These will help the car to handle better also,the biggest thing you need to remember is to match parts that work well together and that have already been proven to better handling.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01bad ss
Start off with finding out what is causing tire to rub on wheel well. If the axle is moving off center I would start with an adjustable panhard rod to be able to center the rear.Get a good set of lower control arms and shocks.These will help the car to handle better also,the biggest thing you need to remember is to match parts that work well together and that have already been proven to better handling.
if the axle is moving off center then an adjustable panhard rod, like BMR's would keep it on? any reccomendations on the panhard rod? any suggestions about what kind of LCAs to get?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

With an adjustable panhard you can center your rear end,the factory setup is a lot of times off to one side.BMR is a well known brand and makes good products.Depending on your intentions you can go with single adjustable components unless you go to the race track and need to make the adjustments at the track.I try to stay with the same brand products,so they work with what the were designed to work with.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I currently have an Addco dual rod end adjustable PHB. I would go with UMI rod/poly control arms if I were to change mine out and probably a UMI panhard bar if they made them when I bought my Addco one.

You could mix BMR lcas with UMI PHB combo if you wanted to really. I don't think it would make much of a difference nor really matters. Some people use BMR stuff and some use UMI.