Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to wire a line lock correctly

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to wire a line lock correctly

Hey guys, did a search on this and couldnt find exactly what I need. I bought a used SLP line lock and want to wire this up "the correct way" anyone have a parts list, where they ran there wires to/from? what momentary switch did you use push button or toggle? what safety switch did you use? any other info would be great
Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with a ground wire very close to the solenoid and scrape the paint to get a good connection. You can spritz the area after firmly connected to hide the scraping. Next, because of the current draw from the solenoid, I would recommend using a relay that allows the control of the solenoid so you don't have full current going through the switch. Lastly, I recommend a momentary/push button switch that way, when you let go of it, it dies and you don't accidentally leave it on and drain the battery. Just my take.

Duff

Old 01-01-2008, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Ground one side to the bolt that's already on the fender with a ground wire from the factory. Then run the power lead inside the car. I bought the wiring kit from the Strano line lock setup but wasn't impressed with the parts. The only thing I used was the momentary switch. The line lock is low draw so you don't really need a relay for it. I tapped into the lighter circuit for power and ran it to a lighted rocker switch that was rated the same as the one that came with the SLP kit. I ran from there to the momentary switch to activate it. I have the rocker mounted in the bottom of the ash tray(M6 car) and the momentary switch on the raised part where the light normally goes underneath. I removed the light and pulled the bulb and let it lay inside the console. With the lid closed you can't see anything but it's easy to access when the lid's flipped open.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the replies fellas. I know where the brake lines run, I just need to know how to wire it up. So the sloenoid itself has 2 **** coming off of it, bottom tit will go straight to ground on fender, Then how do I need to run my HOT? do I need to run a ground and a hot for the switches? Sorry with no directions im kinda lost
Old 01-01-2008, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wire it up and if it don't work, switch the wires ;D
Old 01-01-2008, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Refer to post #3, thats as good as instructions you'll find anywhere, next to somebody doing it for you.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

I know im bringing up a post from the dead but i have a quick question...What type of relay should I use to wire up my line lock? Im not sure if there are different sizes and stuff so I figure i would ask.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

I didn't use a relay in mine. Grounded underhood and a switched power wire into the ash tray and then tapped into the lighter circuit for power.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My $0.02

Originally Posted by badaSS346
I know im bringing up a post from the dead but i have a quick question...What type of relay should I use to wire up my line lock? Im not sure if there are different sizes and stuff so I figure i would ask.
I used the ABS relay as my switched power source, as I removed the underhood entire ABS module and pass compartment ABS controller.

At the controller's connector, I then ran a hot-wire to the button in my Hurst Sidewinder - DONE!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

On the seloniod itself there are two spades. which is positive and which is negative?

Quick Reply: How to wire a line lock correctly