Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Techniques Swaybar Kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Techniques Swaybar Kit ?

my car is on stock stuff right now, and my sway bars are starting to squeak. right now i dont have alot of money and this set isnt to bad of a price. does anyone have this set or know anyone with it? shuld i just get new bushing and wait? or is it worth the money?
this is the one. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...b8e1d5bd6fe9ed
Old 05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The squeek is from the bushings, grease them and see if it goes away, if not you can replace them.
What are you looking to improve on the car by going this route?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Launching!

what kind of grease do i use? and if i can make the car handle better it would be nice.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

It'll handle better than stock, thats for sure. The car will be a little more prone to oversteer because your increasing the size of the rear bar by a disproportionately larger amount. Its all up to your driving tastes though.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6JACKLE
what kind of grease do i use? and if i can make the car handle better it would be nice.

I've used a product called "Super Lube" with good results. I purchased it at an industrial supply house, but I'm sure that it's available in other stores, or on-line somewhere.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

I have the ST set and love them. Yes, the front bar is heavy. I've heard the 25mm rear bar will cause oversteer, but haven't experienced it yet. I don't autocross, just a play car. I've notice I hook alot better with the 25mm bar vs the factory and the cornering is night and day with the whole setup.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Launching!

^^^ cool, so its worth the money? im the same way with my car , just like driving and some cornering, mostly i like to take curves kinda fast and would like to make it stiffer threw these.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ cool, so its worth the money? im the same way with my car , just like driving and some cornering, mostly i like to take curves kinda fast and would like to make it stiffer threw these.
While that swaybar set will improve your handling, your car still has its weakest link, the stock shocks.
I did shocks, swaybars and springs all separate, so I can vouch for the difference each makes. And let me tell you, the Konis made the biggest difference. Its not just the added grip, but its the feel and awesome balance they give that makes them so great. You can push the car through turns so hard and feel everything its doing. No more having to worry about snap-oversteer, or driving hard though a bumpy road. If I were you I would save up and buy these first, then worry about other suspension pieces after.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The ST front bar is fine, just about 15 pounds heavier than ours are. The rear bar is about 10 poinds heavier, and it's just too big IMO. Yes, folks have them like they do any number of other parts and say they are fine. All I can tell you there is that it's largely a matter of reference, and I'm not a big believer in the notion that if a little is good a lot must be better. There is a point of dimishing returns with parts, and really stiff rear bars on a high powered, solid axle car is one of those points.

My bars are 35/22, both hollow because having played with many bars for many years, I felt that was the best combination of balance and a stable rear axle. Solid axles are not ideal because any impact hit with one wheel effects the other. The larger and larger the rear bar gets, the more and more that happens. Yes, we need to make it somewhat bigger for balance to work correctly with the 35mm front, but we don't need and I don't want that much rear bar.

There are folks here who have had 25mm rears, and then backed down. If you are skeptical about what I'm saying (since obviously I think it's too much and do a smaller rear), then I'd see what they have to say since they can give you a direct comparison. Genreally you'll find most who've backed down from 25 to something a bit smaller find the car better to drive.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the ST 35 bar and 1LE 21mm rear, good combo. But I really want to buy Sam's 35 just to shave 15 pounds off the nose.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
While that swaybar set will improve your handling, your car still has its weakest link, the stock shocks.
I did shocks, swaybars and springs all separate, so I can vouch for the difference each makes. And let me tell you, the Konis made the biggest difference. Its not just the added grip, but its the feel and awesome balance they give that makes them so great. You can push the car through turns so hard and feel everything its doing. No more having to worry about snap-oversteer, or driving hard though a bumpy road. If I were you I would save up and buy these first, then worry about other suspension pieces after.
i have bilsten shocks, all the way around. what i dont know is how long they have been there, or if these were stock or not. im not sure what kind came with the ws6. if anyone does know please let me. how are the konis
Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have bilsten shocks, all the way around. what i dont know is how long they have been there, or if these were stock or not. im not sure what kind came with the ws6. if anyone does know please let me. how are the konis
The Konis make the car feel like a planted sports car rather than a boat.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You might want to call me about the bars vs. shocks..... There are various Bilstein valvings around. None are super performance, and some are just quite poor for good control. Then again, the shocks might not be the issue you seek to fix. I can't know to recommend bars or better dampers (or maybe both) until I can find out what it is about the way the car drives we don't like. There is a little bit of perceived overlap between better damping and more swaybar. Both deal with roll, but in very different ways.

You find folks put better shocks on and proclaim the car doesn't roll anymore, when in fact it rolls every bit as much as it did.... just a lot more slowly. Bars lessen the amount, but not the rate at which it's generated. You might want to effect both, hard for me to say by e-mail. And remember that bars do not effect the up and down damping of the car, or how the car "takes a set", that's all shocks. That's why we always want to start with quality damping control. Your Bilstein's aren't terrible, most likely, but the might not be up to scratch.

Really I'd need you to pay attention to what the car does you don't like, and when... then I can help you decide on what the most appropriate part is.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Viper
I have the ST 35 bar and 1LE 21mm rear, good combo. But I really want to buy Sam's 35 just to shave 15 pounds off the nose.
My Strano bar was 11 lbs lighter than my ST bar when comparing weights on my crappy bathroom scale.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You scale must really be crappy. My shipping scale shows the ST @ 27 pounds, my bar @ 12.5. In fact, my front bar in a box (that's 55x17x4") with the endlinks, bushings, mount bushings, and brackets in their own box inside is 20 pounds out the door. It's about a 14-15 pound delta, and about a 10 lighter than a solid 32mm, about 2 heavier than a hollow 32....

Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You might want to call me about the bars vs. shocks..... There are various Bilstein valvings around. None are super performance, and some are just quite poor for good control. Then again, the shocks might not be the issue you seek to fix. I can't know to recommend bars or better dampers (or maybe both) until I can find out what it is about the way the car drives we don't like. There is a little bit of perceived overlap between better damping and more swaybar. Both deal with roll, but in very different ways.

You find folks put better shocks on and proclaim the car doesn't roll anymore, when in fact it rolls every bit as much as it did.... just a lot more slowly. Bars lessen the amount, but not the rate at which it's generated. You might want to effect both, hard for me to say by e-mail. And remember that bars do not effect the up and down damping of the car, or how the car "takes a set", that's all shocks. That's why we always want to start with quality damping control. Your Bilstein's aren't terrible, most likely, but the might not be up to scratch.

Really I'd need you to pay attention to what the car does you don't like, and when... then I can help you decide on what the most appropriate part is.
its the rocking up and down when cornering that i dont like, like if i was going to take a right curve, and the right front comes up then down. and also when im breaking under high speeds my car starts to rock back and forth. im new to this so if you think its the shock or both please let me know. do you carry shocks? and thanks for the info that you have given.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bars control how much the car rolls, but you have a damping issue. What you describe is classic of weak shocks that cannot control the weight of the car. It's not taking a set in corners, and that's a big part of what shocks do.

New, and correctly chosen shocks would do a number of things. They would take care of you instability/rocking issue. They tend to make impact harshness a lot less severe (sharp impacts hurt less). The car will also generate roll more slowly, and that in itself makes many think it's actually rolling less.

Hell, I'd love to get you on a set of Strano bars.... and I think you'd like them. But the fact remains that your shocks are the big issue here, and they need to be dealt with first.

Quick Reply: Suspension Techniques Swaybar Kit ?