Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA and Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LCA and Panhard Bar

Why would you need adjustable LCA's and Panhard Bars? Why not just get nonadjustables? I am really confused on what the adjustables do. And whats the difference with the tubular stuff? Is it better or something?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Non-adjusts can't fix your axle alignment if you need to. The axles are not always true to the centerline of the car. Adjustable LCA's allow you to fix that. The axle is not always centered left and right under the car, and an adjsutable PHB allows you to adjust that (and when lowered it's almost certain it will be off).

And with the LCA', non-adjustables tend to bind up due to their design/bushings when the car rolls or you hit a bump with one rear tire. This hurts ride and to a degree traction. LCA's with at least one rod-end allows full articulation of the axle. You get rid of the wheelhop without costing yourself working suspension articulation. Think of a rock crawling truck if you want an extreme example. Both have solid axles, the more the axle can pivot the better the deals with bumps.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Teching In

i was wondering the same stuff.. i talked to a sponsor, and they said, the only reason you do adj LCA is to move the rear end forward and back. If you put alot wider tire, or you lower the car, you might have to adjust them. Otherwise you wont need them. Im putting a moser 9 inch and they recommended non adjustable because after a while they wear, then they will get loose, and youll see the car will start going all over the road if there not maintained. You need an adj PHB to center the rear end left or right
Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroride32
i was wondering the same stuff.. i talked to a sponsor, and they said, the only reason you do adj LCA is to move the rear end forward and back. If you put alot wider tire, or you lower the car, you might have to adjust them. Otherwise you wont need them...
They're half right. Sometimes "non-adjustable" arms (either stock or even aftermarket ones) will cause your thrust angle to be slightly off-centre. With adjustable arms, not only can you completely move the front axle forwards and back, but you may also adjust the thrust angle as well.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

i am torn if i should get adjustable still. when i put a new motor in i will geta 12 bolt. with that said should i get adjustables or not?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

So let me see if I get this.... I assume the only reason you wouldn't get adjustable is cost, correct? What does a new motor and a 12-bolt cost?????

You have the information regarding adjustable and non-adjustable you need here. If you understand the reasons to have them and decide against them, that's fine. But I'm not getting that vibe.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

awesome info Sam. My Sig lists all my suspension mods. But to be honest im not sure if i will ever do rod/rod ended suspension parts on a DD again. It is a rough and LOUD ride.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not suggesting he go to all rod-ends. In fact I usually recommend a poly/rod combination LCA for street driven cars.

I recommend both types for the PHB depending on the needs. Some folks have uses/tires that require a minimum amount of deflection and should run a double rod-end PHB over a single.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

The J&M rear control arms (non-adjustable) with the 3 Piece Poly-Ball Bushings Are quiet,and allow good articulation and their not to expensive.
Thats what I'm running right now, and I'm very happy with them!
I've had poly/rod-end, And rod-end/rod-end rear control arms and the only one that allows better articulation than the J&M with the 3 piece Poly-Ball bushings is the rod-end/rod-end combination, but their noisy(rod-end/rod-end)sooner or later.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Dont get me wrong i love the way the car reacts to how hard i push it around the corners, but like always you cant have the best of both worlds. i dont have any plans to get rid of any of my Double rod ended parts.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

what i am saying sam is if i put a 12 bolt in your saying i would need and adjustable unit because the rear won't line up right? if so is there any real difference between the single and double adjustable ones?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Single adjustables require disconnecting one end of the LCA to make the adjustment, and double adjustables allow on-car adjustments to be made.

By the way, some of you say that adjustables aren't necessary unless you lower the car, and that is totally false. With my car once I installed the relo brackets my rear end shifted so far backward that my 27" ET streets rubbed the fender at speed. Bought rod/poly adjustables and centered the rear and all is well. My car is stock ride height.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

If the wheels aren't centered, could it cause traction problems due to the change in wheel base?