Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Guy Checkin in!!!! Need Brake advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Checkin in!!!! Need Brake advise

What up guys!!!! Newb checkin in, finally just purchased my very first LS1 (Better late than never right???) Shez a 99 z28 convertable (Black w/Black ragtop). The car is bone stock and has been a DD her entire life, and I don't think its ever seen a dyno or a day at the track (96k miles BTW). First things first.....front and rear brakes are shot and need to be replaced. I've been doing alot of reading and looking around, and I think the C5 upgrade looks to be the best deal for me, but the only C5 kit I can find is for the front system, but what about the rears???? I know they probably aren't worn nearly as bad as the fronts, but the rotors and calipers are rusty and look like crap. This car is going to be more about appearance for now. They only other mods i plan on doing are a few bolt-ons, catback, and some new wheels (probably just some Z06's) Any suggestions on what do about the brakes??? Should I be looking at the kits or should I just get everything seperately??? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't change any of that unless you know what wheel/tire combo's you're going to be set with.

Changing to larger aftermarket components can drastically change your wheel choices. Forget drag wheels. As long as your dead set on a particular aftermarket wheel works with your combo...then reconsider the brake package.

I'd suggest saving your money, stock brakes actually work very good, I'd at most possibly consider upgraded pads or stock replacement rotors. It will save you quite a bit of money of which you'll have plenty of braking power.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great thread and I am glad to hear the input from SJM. I was considering purchasing these:
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...CS%20Stage%205

I know the stockers work well, but if these can be made to fit a fbody, seems like a good deal for 6 piston brembos? Anybody have experience with these?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you plan on doing some crazy autoxing then keep the stock brakes, just get new pads and rotors, the brakes on this car are surprisingly good compared to most cars.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
unless you plan on doing some crazy autoxing then keep the stock brakes, just get new pads and rotors, the brakes on this car are surprisingly good compared to most cars.

Yeah they may look small compared to the new cars but for DD/street use the stock LS1 brakes are adequate.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Concentrate on reducing weight of your car. It will increase performance in all areas as well as reducing stress.

Larger brakes unless you're doing some serious road racing are probably not the best area to concentrate on.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

like everyone said, stock brakes can work just fine. if you want to upgrade the fronts to the larger z06 brakes, Ws6 Store, who is a sponsor on the left >>>>>>
sells a kit to convert the fronts. The rears, just leave stock. No point in upgrading them, just get new stock ones.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great info, thank you for taking the time to reply!
Old 07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

have a 02ss 45k miles that's a daily driver, did my brakes last year mostly for looks and went with zinc plates drilled/slotted rotors from ebay (EZ Sport Brakes) and polished my original calipers with a kit from caswell plating. I got just rotors and bought pads from elsewhere, but you can get 4 rotors with decent pads shipped for under $300 from a few different ebay vendors, ebay is by far the best deal for brake rotors if you're not looking for high performance high price name brand stuff like baer.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on your goals. You can drop some coin fast on brakes. If your not going to be at the track making 130+ runs in the 8th, but taking it road ATL every weekend. I also feel the stock brakes can work very well.

I have several LS1's and on one I used the ATE fluid and PBR metal masters on the other I used Cermanic Duralast golds and Valoine syn fluid and happy with both. The latter is my DD and the brakes work really well and have very firm pedal feel even with the stock lines. So you have several options just define your goals.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
Even crazy autoxing you'll be fine on stock specification size brakes. You will want to get good pads and decent blank rotors though.

If you like the bling of z06 brakes though, there's a reason to get them.