Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni's, Strano springs & sway bars install

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni's, Strano springs & sway bars install

I installed my Koni's 4-4's Strano sway bars and Strano springs last week and what a difference! To anyone who thinks it's a lot of money and not sure it's worth it. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DO THIS MOD.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

I want to do this kit as well, I have been saving up for a few months now but I still have a ways to go Post up some pics.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how do you like the springs compared to stock? handling and drop wise? i have the sways and koni's but i was afraid of wrecking my front end on curbs by puttign the srpings on
Old 07-20-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by subarubill96
how do you like the springs compared to stock? handling and drop wise? i have the sways and koni's but i was afraid of wrecking my front end on curbs by puttign the srpings on
Unless you have some monster curbs in your area I wouldn't worry about it. I was in a similar position as you, I did the shocks first, then the swaybars, and then the springs. I'm very happy with the springs, car is even tighter and has more turn-in and overall more grip. Ride quality is still great, just a little more firm. I was honestly surprised, I thought the car would ride a lot worse, its very comfortable and smooth.
A before/after pic. Sorry its not that great, I really need to take some new ones...

Last edited by JD_AMG; 07-20-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha i was just going to pm you JD_AMG and ask what you thought
Old 07-20-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have got 26.5 from ground to wheel well lip in the front. I removed a set of BMR's. The Strano are a tad harsher than them but that could be the Koni's I have the setting a 3 on the rear and 4 on the front. The ride is better than the BMR's and stock DeCarbons that were wish-washie, now you can feel the road suface, much more secure and more control when your tight into a turn, not loose in the rear as before, much better balance. And the ride don't feel like a empty 3/4 ton truck. Best mod I have done to this car!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by toadzq8
I have got 26.5 from ground to wheel well lip in the front. I removed a set of BMR's. The Strano are a tad harsher than them but that could be the Koni's I have the setting a 3 on the rear and 4 on the front. The ride is better than the BMR's and stock DeCarbons that were wish-washie, now you can feel the road suface, much more secure and more control when your tight into a turn, not loose in the rear as before, much better balance. And the ride don't feel like a empty 3/4 ton truck. Best mod I have done to this car!
Front setting 4 turns from full hard or from full soft?
If you are not already on it, try 4 turns from full hard. Set your tire pressure to 30-32psi front and rear. I'm at these settings (full soft rear, but I have the 3rd gen rears) and I love it.
IMO 4 turns from full soft is way too soft, crank it up a bit and you may get a smoother ride, and much better handling(and awesome steering feel).
Old 07-20-2008, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

hmmm, i might have to do this mod. I was against it before because it goes against what i love most, which is drag racing, but I dont get to the track enough to make a huge difference. Might have to snag me the complete setup from Sam
Old 07-20-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I did springs/koni's. It is the shiz nit! I am planning on getting the sway bars later this year.

Don't forget the adjustable panhard bar. That tightened up the rear of the car a bunch.

Jason
Old 07-20-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just wait til you get the sways, itll feel like a totally different animal. nothing like surprising imports when you hang around the twisties with them
Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

4 from soft, I am going to give the fronts a couple more sweeps toward firm and see how it feels, I am running 32 psi in front and 30 in rear tires, feels real good now, can't believe it can get better!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im at 4 from full hard in thre front and full soft on the rear. Honestly Id like more rebound control, especially at the back, so Im going to change to 2 from full hard at the front and 1 from full soft at the back.

I did Konis, then sways, then springs as well. Great combo and It is actually better for drag racing than stock if set up correctly at the track.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

I just did the strano springs and konis,big difference car is flatter in the turn and firmer ride,only had them a week but i'll try different settings 5 from full hard -frt
full soft in back.Well see how it goes and then get sway bars next.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Im at 4 from full hard in thre front and full soft on the rear. Honestly Id like more rebound control, especially at the back, so Im going to change to 2 from full hard at the front and 1 from full soft at the back.

I did Konis, then sways, then springs as well. Great combo and It is actually better for drag racing than stock if set up correctly at the track.
Let us know how you like this. I'm very satisfied with how I (we) have it currently set at, but just for the hell of it I am going to crank it up a bit more sometime soon. (the weather around here has just been so shitty I don't even want to be outside, its over 100* and so humid )
edit: I forgot, I had that exact setup on otherwise stock suspension (2 from hard in front, 1 from soft in rear) and it was a bit too firm for me, but the car handled amazing.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im planning on doing it in the next few days along with some other maintainance, so Ill let you know.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

how does this compare to the eibach/bilstein option on the SS? mine has this already would it be any diff?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Much improved IMHO. Ive had the Bilstein Y2Y option before and I even prefered the Konis with stock springs and Strano swaybars over the Bilstein Y2Y.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

I can't even begin to say over the past year of daily driving the car often how comfortable the strano koni combination is. I've ridden in quite a few different cars recently with their stock suspension and finding myself comparing my Camaro to the others. A lot of vehicles have been less comfortable than my Camaro. It's like the suspension that the fbody should have had in the first place.

So note to everyone, this car is extremely daily driveable in my opinion. Coming from someone who couldn't stand the stock Subaru STI suspension.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Launching!

I installed Strano springs, sway bars and Koni's at one time. It's a night and day difference from stock. Very streetable too. Aside from the obvious handling benefits, I think my car rides better than before, less harsh and much more balanced.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That combo is a good one. Thats for sure.

Quick Reply: Koni's, Strano springs & sway bars install