Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

why does my car feel so floaty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default why does my car feel so floaty?

ok well heres a list of mods that correspond to this.

Spohn front/rear solid swaybars
LG lowering springs
Koni adjustables set on half
spohn CM tq arm
rod end control arms and panhard rod
315 DRs out back 275 in front
moser 9" with a locker.

now the first issue i noticed may be cause of the locker but when i cut corners my front end will cut then the rear will "float" and finally cut as if my rear tires want to keep going straight. like i said prob the locker

but now here the main concern. a locker and my thicker rear sway bar and all this stuff done should make my car go down a smooth road straight but when im on it and the higher speed i hit the *** end feels like its floating around making me have to slightly correct my steering. its really all over the place and im not spinning my tires. it feels as if i have no sway bars at all. everything is on right and tight. i know for a fact the tires arent spinning especially at 100+ where it really starts feeling floaty. and you can pretty much rule out air getting caught under as the car is really low and i even have the RK sport front valance (if that does much).
Old 07-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's because you have such a large tire out back, getting more grip than the smaller fronts, giving you alot of understeer
Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i had those meats out back before (konis, swaybars, locker) without this problem?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You have drag radials on, and probably low tire pressure in them. The DR's are most likely the culprit.
What is the rear koni set at?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

DRs are at 35 psi like they should beon the street. rear konis are 2 full turns from firm. im sure it cant be my tires as the main reason cause well that would not explain why i feel so floaty going down a straight smooth road at high speed. it feels like my rear is loose but everything is tight. also i had these same tires before....
Old 07-27-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

also i had understeer before too and it would cause my fronts to slip/squeel a little in corners now my fronts grip and rear end seem to want to keep going straight but like i said that is prob just cause of the locker....my main concern is the floaty feeling when going straight at speed...

Last edited by C Murda; 07-27-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No ideas?.... Could it be a bad alignment? I mean I did put in a new k member with tubular control arms, could the alignment make the car go all over the place when at speed? The car doesn't pull to the left or right when driving normal but when I'm on the highway or jus going fast i have to keep adjusting the steering as it feels floaty and its all over the place? But then again like I said it
goes straight at normal speeds...
Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i kinda noticed this in my car too once i added the mt's. i went to the track with regualr tire pressure and the car was fine. i came back on low tire pressure and felt like there was more control. the otehr day my friend reminded me and decided to put in a lil to much air, i dint realize it til i drove to work and i was swaying all over the place, every time i gave it a li jerk it felt like it was really irresponsive and "floaty" thats what i think the problem is. hope that helps
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You have a mis-understanding of how adding some of the things you do effect the car. I read what you have and see a couple of glaring issues right away. From the locker to the spring and bar combo you have with the shock setting to the tires.

Not giving away the farm (have to be careful with the info I dole out these days), I think the back of car is too stiff vs. the front, vs. the tire sidewalls, and vs. rear shock settings. Hell the locker isn't even in the way @ speed.

I'd recommend you play with your shock settings and tire pressures.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for your input sam. i know the rears should be softer only reason i firmed them up is cause of how low my car is and this damn moser 9" SLAMS into my gas tank which isnt good. how wouldmy suspension geometry be affect if i adjust my control arms to maybe pull my rear end foward just 1/4 inch so i clear my gas tank on hard dips/bumps? i dunno if its the rear end or if this is just normal but when im under the car with the suspension loaded my shocks look to go straight down perpendicular to each other but then my rear spring look slanted to the back??? it looks to me as if im supposed to move the rear end foward but then agian that would make my shocks slant to the front? my control arms are at stock length and i have relocation brackets with them mounted on the very bottom hole since im lowered.

or maybe this rear end just isnt made for a car that is lowered? i dunno i wish everything would work like they are supposed to with no clearance problems. i hit some major bumps tonight for all i kvow i may have punctured my gas tank which im gonna have to look at tomorrow. i just want my bulletproof drivetrain with firm solid suspension.

Quick Reply: why does my car feel so floaty?