Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake drag when pushing car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face brake drag when pushing car?

hey guys im curious about some thing.
yesterday i was pushing my car foward in the garage and it feels like the brakes are on a little and the car is hard to push and it also makes noise like the pads are touching the rotors.
i did the brakes not that long ago and they seem to work fine.
when im on the hwy doing 75-80 and i let off the gas the car seems to slow by it self like if i would push the brake pedal just enough to make the pads contact the rotors.
is this nomal? if not what should i look at?
all the pins are greased and the brakes are not that old.
let me know guys and thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would get the car on jack stands and see how freely you can spin the wheels. I know you said you checked the pins but my first thought would be the sliding caliper pins.

On my car it pretty much locked one wheel up to the point where it would not turn.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Warped rotor.

Vernon
Old 08-22-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay Automotive 101 here - in a disc brake system, the pads are always dragging on the rotors a tiny bit. If the brakes feel fine, the wheels spin freely (as mentioned by JScamaro), and there are no obvious signs of abnormal wear, don't worry about it. Just hit the gym so you can push your car better.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grimes
Okay Automotive 101 here - in a disc brake system, the pads are always dragging on the rotors a tiny bit. If the brakes feel fine, the wheels spin freely (as mentioned by JScamaro), and there are no obvious signs of abnormal wear, don't worry about it. Just hit the gym so you can push your car better.
lol my wheels spin freely but not that freely the pads still touch the rotor a little
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

haha very funny grimes j/k well with the car on stands the wheels will spin freely but not much. i can put a good amount of force on the wheel and it will spin a little then stop so it wont just keep spining and i can hear the pads grinding the rotor almost like brake noise like squeky brakes.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun
haha very funny grimes j/k well with the car on stands the wheels will spin freely but not much. i can put a good amount of force on the wheel and it will spin a little then stop so it wont just keep spining and i can hear the pads grinding the rotor almost like brake noise like squeky brakes.

Lol, okay well then you should check the guide pins and caliper again.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

i have some cheap pep boys drilled rotors on the car now and im going to be geting some new better rotors soon so ill just redo the whole front brake system at one time. thanks for the replys guys.

Quick Reply: brake drag when pushing car?