What gun to get...and where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What gun to get...and where?

I'm interested in buying a handgun to go with my CHL I'll be getting soon and want to know what you guys would suggest. I have a 9mm Taurus, but it's too big to carry. What size, caliber, and brand would you guys suggest? Also, if you have any place you could recommend I buy it from, please do so. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a carry gun I have a Springfield XD Subcompact in a 9mm. I love it. Its not too big and bulky and shoots really accurate for a 3" barrel gun. I bought mine new at the gun show at from a pawn shop that deals in new guns for $419 a year ago. They have gone up but are around $459 now from the same place. I was looking into the glock 26 but I have big hands and did not like the feel of it. GO to the gun show and hold alot of different guns and borrow one if you can to shoot it before you buy one, if you can. Josh
Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
I'm interested in buying a handgun to go with my CHL I'll be getting soon and want to know what you guys would suggest. I have a 9mm Taurus, but it's too big to carry. What size, caliber, and brand would you guys suggest? Also, if you have any place you could recommend I buy it from, please do so. Thanks.
i would take your 9mm to qualify with. you don't have to take your carry piece. take what you know and are comfortable with. as for a carry gun i like the h&k P200 SK 40 s&w

*FIXED*
Attached Thumbnails What gun to get...and where?-p2000_sk_large_right.jpg  

Last edited by boostnificent; 02-10-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Gander mnt has alot of choices so does bass pro, academy go try them but as an leo and prior military the .40 is a great choice
Old 02-09-2009, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

academy has the best deals usually. at least thats the way it has worked out for me.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I carry a Glock 19 9mm, not as small as the 26 but not as big as the 17...but then agian, it's the same gun I used to when I 1st learned to shoot and what I was using through my class...I liked it so I stuck with it..also bought mine at Academy since it was the best deal I found in my area at $520....
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Village Idiot

Well, if you want something that is small, powerful and reliable for short range stoppage, I would say the ole .357 Magnum snub nose revolver is the right choice.. Armed with hollow tip bullets it's unstopable...

That's what I use for home protection..
Attached Thumbnails What gun to get...and where?-model_19_snub.jpg   What gun to get...and where?-605ss2.jpg  
Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Well, if you want something that is small, powerful and reliable for short range stoppage, I would say the ole .357 Magnum snub nose revolver is the right choice.. Armed with hollow tip bullets it's unstopable...

That's what I use for home protection..
wtf jizzy get out of the Texas section

PatriotT/A, either the H&K subcompact as earlier said or the XD sub.
also, .40>9mm
Old 02-09-2009, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

I've looked around at this H&K Subcompact and I'm not sure I want to spend $800+. I would like to get a decent gun (used is cool) for around $500 or less. Looks like a good gun, but I'm not trying to spend that much of my tax return.

The XD looks pretty freakin awesome, and it's much closer to my price range.
http://www.snipercountrypx.com/image...9812HCSP06.jpg
Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.40 cal is bigger than a 9mm, but the 9mm rounds has more penetration then a .40 because of a smaller bullet. With the price of ammo lately I went with a 9 because of price. Its the cheapest round next to a .22lr. We would all love a .45, but the price of ammo is what steered me away. Also, dont go to Gander Mt to buy a gun. They are hands down the most expensive. Academy isnt bad. Bass Pro is ridiculous. I remembered the place I bought mine. Bachman Pawn in Dallas. They have the best price hands down. Here is their number and address. Give them a call.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18719941...wn-guns-dallas
Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
.40 cal is bigger than a 9mm, but the 9mm rounds has more penetration then a .40 because of a smaller bullet. With the price of ammo lately I went with a 9 because of price. Its the cheapest round next to a .22lr. We would all love a .45, but the price of ammo is what steered me away. Also, dont go to Gander Mt to buy a gun. They are hands down the most expensive. Academy isnt bad. Bass Pro is ridiculous. I remembered the place I bought mine. Bachman Pawn in Dallas. They have the best price hands down. Here is their number and address. Give them a call.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-18719941...wn-guns-dallas
Yes, the 9mm has more penetration and a higher fps but you want stopping power not to blow a hole through what/whoever you shoot into something or someone else.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM

have lots of gun crazy buddies and have nothing but good things about the springfield xds and they r reletively inexpensive
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM

heard*
Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Launching!

since you already have a 9mm, keep it and use it to practice/qualify with. and get a REAL defensive round to use for your CHL. i dont understand why some people would put their life on the line when a .40SW and .45 are hands down more effective than a 9mm.

i'd go with a kimber sub compact, or STI compact, ect. then again, i'm a huge 1911 fan and even though i love glocks and XD's, they all feel like toys compared to a 1911.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
since you already have a 9mm, keep it and use it to practice/qualify with. and get a REAL defensive round to use for your CHL. i dont understand why some people would put their life on the line when a .40SW and .45 are hands down more effective than a 9mm.

i'd go with a kimber sub compact, or STI compact, ect. then again, i'm a huge 1911 fan and even though i love glocks and XD's, they all feel like toys compared to a 1911.
The only problem with a Kimber is the price as the OP described
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you're looking for penetration, a 9mm shouldn't be where you end up. Get a FN Five-Seven with the lovely 5.7mm cartridge. It's designed for penetration.
If you want a CCW gun, you're probably looking for a one-shot stopper, always. In which case a 9mil isn't the best choice.

If you're looking to stop pretty much anyone, a .45 is always a good choice. The .40 is a great compromise between convenience of size, and stopping power.

Personally, I love the feel of Kimber's Ultra Carry II in .45. But it's quite expensive, tipping the wallet around 900-1200 bucks.

XDs conceal easily for most people, and have an adjustable grip size on some models, so it can be made to fit most hands. They feel good and shoot true, but I've had trouble with second-shot placement if you need it. I can't seem to control the muzzle climb on an XD. That's a problem of mine though, not the gun's. Similarly, I can't shoot a glock straight, my hands just don't line up right for their frame.

SO... +1 on going to a gun show, going to a few shops, and holding and touching as many as you see before you pick one gun. There's a reason there are so many types... because they match the many different types of people.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

this would be a good one as well. i am probably gonna buy one here really soon. i feel you on the h&k price but it is an awesome weapon.

BABY EAGLE 40 S&W HANDGUN

$499.99
Item#: 11642212
Style#: BE9413RSL
SKU: 0357-40231-8054
Capacity: 13+1
Barrel length: 4 in.
Action: double
Finish: blued
Grip: polymer
Sights: fixed
Attached Thumbnails What gun to get...and where?-0357-40231-8054-p2.jpg  
Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
x2 i want to stop em not **** em off.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

all ***** down I say gun show hold every gun u can think and talk to everyone there to get ur best result! tell them straight up that ur there for info not to buy quit yet so they don't try to sell u on the most expensive crapp....
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
wtf jizzy get out of the Texas section

PatriotT/A, either the H&K subcompact as earlier said or the XD sub.
also, .40>9mm
Sarge my boy, I am a Dallas Cowboy football fan from birth, that right there gives me the green light to chat with all the Texan's on this forum.. I also can do the 2 step...

Well, I say if you want close to %100 reliability on demand a revolver is the smartest choice.. You could possibly get a jamb with those fancy semi automatics pistols that everyone is talking about.. The Snub nose .357 mag. packs power to stop a man in his tracks, crazy stopage with hollow tip bullets..It's small enough to carry, accurate within a home perimeter, and has a legendary history behind it... It's a pretty nice looking piece to boot

I guess it really all depends on what exactly you want in a pistol.... If you want to just impress and scare someone buy a Desert Eagle, but beware if you shoot that monster in a home it's going threw the robber, the wall, the neighbors wall, and into your neighbors torso, then the bullet will then move on to your next neighbors house and so on....It could get ugly in a hurry..

Example : Got a robber jacking your **** in the middle of the night and you reach for that clip and load it, raise the gun up to fire and it gets stuck, the robber then looks and laughs at you and boogies out the window with all your ****.. You bang the jambed fire arm in frustration and it suddenly discharges and the bullet enters into your foot causing insult to injury......See what I am getting at people?

Quick Reply: What gun to get...and where?