What gun to get...and where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this thread is turning to home defense, I have an ak47 with a 30 round clip, a 12 ga with double 00 buck, and a 30 06 along with my 9mm. For the guys saying a 9mm doesnt have stopping power, let me shot you with it and we will see if it hurts. I have mine loaded with hornaday tap 147 grain hollow points. I bet it has just as deep and wide a wound channel as a .40 Of course a .45 is the best, but not everyone is rich. I revolver is a very good choice only downside is less bullets, but of course if 5 isnt enough then most likely you got other problems.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
If this thread is turning to home defense, I have an ak47 with a 30 round clip, a 12 ga with double 00 buck, and a 30 06 along with my 9mm. For the guys saying a 9mm doesnt have stopping power, let me shot you with it and we will see if it hurts. I have mine loaded with hornaday tap 147 grain hollow points. I bet it has just as deep and wide a wound channel as a .40 Of course a .45 is the best, but not everyone is rich. I revolver is a very good choice only downside is less bullets, but of course if 5 isnt enough then most likely you got other problems.
That's over kill man! What are expecting a small home invasion war or something That's crazy fire power and your going to take out a neighbor if you unleash that kind of arsonal...
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

It's cool to hear what you guys have for home protection, which mine will double as, but I'd appreciate it if I could get a little less info on your arsenal, and more on what you have seen as best and where to get them. Thanks to everyone though.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Teching In

I keep a Springfield xD Compact .45 4" barrell, came with one short mag (10rd) for carry, one with extension for the house or shooting pratice (13rd). Love it. With the short mag its comfortable enough to carry, but I don't keep it on my person all the time anyways. 10+1 is pretty high capacity for a .45 and the overall size. It's pretty accurate with the 4", atleast by my amature standards. It's my second polymer frame after a S&W Sigma 9mm.

Picked mine up with the entire package for under 480 when they first came out. I like it so much I might pick up an xD M.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got a Glock 27 40 cal.. Great conceal weapon and PLENTY Powerfull - $500.00 for the gun new but I bought it for 400.00 from a friend.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

9mm, .40, or .45. Which pistol is completely a personal preference. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with it, and train until you can operate it in your sleep.

I'm currently carrying a Sig P6 (P225) that I've had refinished and gone-through. My wife's is a Sig P239. I also like the S&W M&P compacts, and you would do fine with a Glock or Springfield XD.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

I noticed a couple things I wanted to comment on...

Originally Posted by boostnificent
i would take your 9mm to qualify with. you don't have to take your carry piece. take what you know and are comfortable with. as for a carry gun i like the h&k subcompact 40 s&w
I believe the picture you attached is a USP compact. FWIW HK dosent make "sub compacts" in their older USP line. The P2000SK is a "sub compact" (spelled with a K in German) model but that is a different gun than what you pictured.

Originally Posted by jrod_400
heard*
You know there's an option to edit your posts, right?

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
since you already have a 9mm, keep it and use it to practice/qualify with. and get a REAL defensive round to use for your CHL. i dont understand why some people would put their life on the line when a .40SW and .45 are hands down more effective than a 9mm.

i'd go with a kimber sub compact, or STI compact, ect. then again, i'm a huge 1911 fan and even though i love glocks and XD's, they all feel like toys compared to a 1911.
From the research Ive done, I think modern hollowpoints will have about the same "destruction" from 9mm to .45. I believe shot placement is far more important which is why people recommend getting a gun that you will practice a lot with.

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Sarge my boy, I am a Dallas Cowboy football fan from birth, that right there gives me the green light to chat with all the Texan's on this forum.. I also can do the 2 step...

Well, I say if you want close to %100 reliability on demand a revolver is the smartest choice.. You could possibly get a jamb with those fancy semi automatics pistols that everyone is talking about.. The Snub nose .357 mag. packs power to stop a man in his tracks, crazy stopage with hollow tip bullets..It's small enough to carry, accurate within a home perimeter, and has a legendary history behind it... It's a pretty nice looking piece to boot

I guess it really all depends on what exactly you want in a pistol.... If you want to just impress and scare someone buy a Desert Eagle, but beware if you shoot that monster in a home it's going threw the robber, the wall, the neighbors wall, and into your neighbors torso, then the bullet will then move on to your next neighbors house and so on....It could get ugly in a hurry..

Example : Got a robber jacking your **** in the middle of the night and you reach for that clip and load it, raise the gun up to fire and it gets stuck, the robber then looks and laughs at you and boogies out the window with all your ****.. You bang the jambed fire arm in frustration and it suddenly discharges and the bullet enters into your foot causing insult to injury......See what I am getting at people?
I'd say good semi-autos are just as reliable as revolvers if properly taken care of.
This isn't good logic, but how many people in the armed forces still use revolvers?

Originally Posted by kerryt1
9mm, .40, or .45. Which pistol is completely a personal preference. The most important thing is that you are comfortable with it, and train until you can operate it in your sleep.

I'm currently carrying a Sig P6 (P225) that I've had refinished and gone-through. My wife's is a Sig P239. I also like the S&W M&P compacts, and you would do fine with a Glock or Springfield XD.
best post IMO
Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 AM
12 Second Club

There are several good manufactures out there, I would recommend going to Academy or a bigger sports store and ask to take a look at the handguns (hold them). You should get a feel for what they are like in your hands.

Next I would try to find a shooting range that rents guns and shoot the ones you like. If you know friends that own some, ask them. It may be a little expensive to do this but it is worth it.

I thought I liked the feel of a particular gun until I put a few rounds through it. Every thing is different depending on the person.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by boostnificent
this would be a good one as well. i am probably gonna buy one here really soon. i feel you on the h&k price but it is an awesome weapon.

BABY EAGLE 40 S&W HANDGUN

$499.99
Item#: 11642212
Style#: BE9413RSL
SKU: 0357-40231-8054
Capacity: 13+1
Barrel length: 4 in.
Action: double
Finish: blued
Grip: polymer
Sights: fixed
Forget the baby eagle my buddy had a baby eagle 40 cal and it was junk. Jammed all the time, and had firing pin problems.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Well, if you want something that is small, powerful and reliable for short range stoppage, I would say the ole .357 Magnum snub nose revolver is the right choice.. Armed with hollow tip bullets it's unstopable...

That's what I use for home protection..
Make sure that if you do get a revolver not to qualify with it because then you would only be able to carry a revolver. Get your CHL with a semi-auto. The S&W M&P in .40 is an awesome shooting gun. There is another pistol that is innerchangable from a full sixe to compact but I can not for the life of me remember who sales it.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

glock 23 .40
Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Teching In

none of those get a s&w mp40c
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by BigSteele
I'd say good semi-autos are just as reliable as revolvers if properly taken care of.
This isn't good logic, but how many people in the armed forces still use revolvers?
Ok, here is logic for you...Revolvers take too much time to reload and that is why they are not used by military men and women in the armed forces.. Fast firing and being able to hold more rounds too is a few other reasons why..

True to some degree, if the semi auto is properly maintained it should not jamb, but how many testimonies or video's have you seen when a robber goes into a liquor store and the gun gets jammed on them.. Those guns that jam are 99% of the time semi auto's and not revolvers.. Not everyone maintains their Semi Auto's properly..

I am not saying revolvers are better guns I am just saying they are proven to be more reliable and that is fact.. If my life depended on a gun in a home robbery situation I would take my revolver .357 magnum with hollow tip bullets over any other gun on the planet because I know it will fire and stop the intruder..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 02-10-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
Forget the baby eagle my buddy had a baby eagle 40 cal and it was junk. Jammed all the time, and had firing pin problems.
Look this gun jammed all the time, here is more logic for you Big Steel....
Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Teching In

I'd go with a Glock 36 it's a .45 single-stack magazine so it's thinner then a glock 26- or 27. The .45 round is the best for personal defense.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You could go with a Smith & Wesson SW40VE (.40). It's pretty cheap at Academy $339. I have heard the trigger is pretty heavy on it, but there are mods you can do to them to lighten them up. The reviews I have read about them say they don't jam. They are basically a copy of a Glock.
I've held one at Academy and they are pretty light.

Last edited by -Ross-; 02-10-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Beretta nothin betta
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by -Ross-
You could go with a Smith & Wesson SW40VE (.40). It's pretty cheap at Academy $339. I have heard the trigger is pretty heavy on it, but there are mods you can do to them to lighten them up. The reviews I have read about them say they don't jam. They are basically a copy of a Glock.
I've held one at Academy and they are pretty light.
i've owned this gun and didn't like it. plus way too large for carry.

get a Bersa thunder lite conceal carry .380 or a sig sauer P222 380. both are fantastic. I own the bersa.

and stopping power is a myth. take 8 rounds of .380 and see if you're still ok.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ceissus
i've owned this gun and didn't like it. plus way too large for carry.

get a Bersa thunder lite conceal carry .380 or a sig sauer P222 380. both are fantastic. I own the bersa.

and stopping power is a myth. take 8 rounds of .380 and see if you're still ok.
If yall are referring to the sw Sigma then yes, it is junk. Its a cheap gun. Everyone has their preference as far as the round they like. THe sig saur is a very good gun. I also agree with you on the stopping power. IF you get shot with a hollow point out of a .380, .38. 9mm, .40 OR A .45 it will put you down. Alot has to do with shot placement.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey buddy I just put up a thread about a CHL class on the 21st...

Quick Reply: What gun to get...and where?