Well, I'm moving to Arlington

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Well, I'm moving to Arlington

Any good tips you Dallas/Fort Worth area people might have?

I will be leaving my car at home in OK until I get used to city driving and can afford full coverage with a declared value...

I forget the name of the place but its an apartment complex within walking distance of Trader's Village.

Hope to make some new friends soon though.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

I will be leaving my car at home in OK until I get used to city driving and can afford full coverage with a declared value...

I forget the name of the place but its an apartment complex within walking distance of Trader's Village.

If it's within walking distance of Traders Village, you will be close to the Arlington / Grand Prairie border. Also, when you get your car, watch your speed on I-20.. Arlington PD does their fair share of radar details. As for the move, welcome to the Dallas / Fort Worth area!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, what do you want tips about?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Probably The Bristols I believe there off of Mayfield/360...

Well Dallas has some good stripclubs if thats what cha like... You'll be 5 minutes away from Parks Mall and Arlington Heights area which has almost every store needed. Including some bars such as Dave n Busters, BlackFinn, Razzoos with 1.50 pints
Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome to the Metroplex. Big city driving tips? Interstate traffic is the worst otherwise it's not that different from anything else.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

driving, cool places to chill, local nonchain restaurants worth checking out, all that good stuff

Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Check out the Fuzzy Taco...mmmm. If you're that close to Trader's Village, that means you're not far from a cluster f of ricer meets. They've been busted recently, so I'd avoid them unless you want a criminal trespassing warning.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Buck n Loons off cooper is pretty good
Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

driving, cool places to chill, local nonchain restaurants worth checking out, all that good stuff

when are you moving?

i hear what you are saying about the non-chain resturaunts... that was a big gripe of mine when i moved to TX.

anything in particular you are looking for? there is a good sub shop in euless called NYPD (NY Pizza & Deli). Good NY pizza in dallas called pastazios. Good vietnamese Pho resturaunt in arlington called Pho Pasteur... Closest thing to a philly cheesesteak is Texadelphia. There is one on greenville & lovers in dallas, and one near TCU in fort worth. the list goes on and on. might be able to help more if you let us know what you're looking for.

lots of good bars on greenville ave in dallas. deep ellum is the hiphop clubs. Higher end resturaunts/bars in addison. Sundance Square in downtown fort worth is very cool. The 'stockyards' district in north fort worth has some stereotypical/touristy western themed bars/resturaunts/stores. also has a rodeo every fri/sat night
Old 02-24-2009, 01:41 PM
01z
TECH Regular

lol, dallas people are so lame
Old 02-24-2009, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

I'll be moving in April or May, when for sure depends on a job situation, so if you know any place hiring PM me. I have a bachelors degree for journalism advertising/public relations with additional emphasis in marketing. I'm also decent with mechanical stuff, can do office type work, and have sales experience but prefer not to be a salesman...I hate feeding people bullshit and every boss I've had in sales says they don't want you to but that's never been true.

places to see good rock music live (not screaming cookie monster crap): hard rock, southern rock, blues, red dirt country

beer drinker bars...for instance Brewski's here has **** tons of different stuff on tap (I think 70?), any micro brews?

thai food, good burgers (the REAL kind...greasy and cooked on a flattop), cajun, good thin crust pizza

and of course places where people with cars might meet up

thanks guys!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not real fond of the area around Trader's Village. I used to sell out there every weekend when we used to live in Arlington. I personally wouldn't live there.

I lived in both south arlington and north arlington and liked it.

As a rule of thumb, avoid the arlington/grand prairie border anywhere north of I-20.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

any reason in particular?

I won't have my car, the place is gated, and I will be armed.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01z
lol, dallas people are so lame
and houston people are so much better because?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by boostnificent
and houston people are so much better because?
I think all that Houston pollution is getting to their brain.

New to the forums, got directed here by someone with a beautiful red firehawk at the market hall show a few weeks ago.

Looking for my first firebird..can't seem to find one on a lot thats in my price range.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

I asked my future roommate where to get a good burger and he asked if I had been to Backyard Burger...

*slams head into wall*

if I can't get a decent burger, a good greasy real pizza, and some thai food I will kill someone...thai food too...not ******* sushi...I swear if one more person tells me where I can get great sushi I will blow their head off...

If I want to eat a bunch of bland cold crap wrapped in cold bland rice and weeds I will sit at home and do it for free...not pay a fortune for it because it's the trendy thing to do right now. Sushi is crap. LOL
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

I will be right down the road from you i'm by sixflags
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HaveWingsWillFly
I think all that Houston pollution is getting to their brain.

New to the forums, got directed here by someone with a beautiful red firehawk at the market hall show a few weeks ago.

Looking for my first firebird..can't seem to find one on a lot thats in my price range.
it's that or they drink to much sea water.

you should have no problem finding one here in the classifieds. goodluck and welcome!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

my replies in bold.

I'll be moving in April or May, when for sure depends on a job situation, so if you know any place hiring PM me. I have a bachelors degree for journalism advertising/public relations with additional emphasis in marketing. I'm also decent with mechanical stuff, can do office type work, and have sales experience but prefer not to be a salesman...I hate feeding people bullshit and every boss I've had in sales says they don't want you to but that's never been true.

places to see good rock music live (not screaming cookie monster crap): hard rock, southern rock, blues, red dirt country
there are lots of venues for national acts: nokia theater, superpages center, american airlines center, house of blues. deep ellum has a bunch of venues for live local bands, but there are much less places than even a few years ago.

beer drinker bars...for instance Brewski's here has **** tons of different stuff on tap (I think 70?), any micro brews?
the flying saucer is THE beer bar of the area. its in sundance square in fort worth. www.beerknurd.com for more info on flying saucer. brew pubs include humperdinks (multiple locations) and uncle bucks in grapevine. there are probably more, but those are the only two i've been to. a lot of resturaunts will have like one self brewed beer, but those two have a full list. while not a brew pub, the fox & hound (multiple locations) has a great selection, as well as stan's blue note on greenville in dallas

thai food, good burgers (the REAL kind...greasy and cooked on a flattop), cajun, good thin crust pizza
there is an asian district in arlington on pioneer & cooper +/- a few blocks. I went to the 'sweet pepper' thai resturaunt and it was pretty good. Also the green papaya in uptown dallas is a good vietnamese/thai place. burgers: angry dog in deep ellum, jake's in uptown dallas. cajun: razzoos is a good place for lower cost. pappadeaux has some great stuff as well, but is pricier. do a search on dallas.citysearch.com and you might be able to find some non-chain places, but i am far from a cajun expert. pizza: i think pastazios in dallas/addison has the most authentic 'ny' style pizza. grimaldi's in uptown dallas makes a pretty good Italian style thin crust.

and of course places where people with cars might meet up
good meets come and go as they get ruined by the ricers... but the current good weekly meet is thursday night at fuddruckers in SW fort worth. random other one-off meets come up as well.

thanks guys!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

awesome!

I love Fuddrucker's ours was shut down.