k-member not lining up with motor mounts?? please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default k-member not lining up with motor mounts?? please help!

trying to get the LS1/TH400 lined up with the umi k-member. we have one throughbolt through on the pass. side, but the other side is off by a half inch no matter what we do.

i'm using prothane motor mounts.

anyone ever have an issue like this?? should i start drilling/dremeling out the k-member holes??

thanks for any help/advice
Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Teching In

I had a similar problem with my mustang. I was able to get a giant C clamp on it to draw it in.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

no, don't start cutting yet. it happened to me too. You just have to rock it back and forth using the trans as a lever arm. It will come eventually. Its much easier with a 2nd person. where you at?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by M6Z28
I had a similar problem with my mustang. I was able to get a giant C clamp on it to draw it in.
Cool, thanks for the response! Could you elaborate a little? I'm having trouble visualizing where the c clamp would go...my k-member bolt holes are off with regard to the throughbolt holes on the red polyurethane mount.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 7420NW7TH
no, don't start cutting yet. it happened to me too. You just have to rock it back and forth using the trans as a lever arm. It will come eventually. Its much easier with a 2nd person. where you at?
I'm in Sugar Land, 90 and Eldridge. I know it's insane short notice but I've got plenty of beer and pizza if you're down to help!! lol
Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

I also noticed that on the passenger side, the gap between the double humps of the clamshell and the inside of the k-member part is MUCH larger than the gap on the driver side. I probably didn't explain that well enough, but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about...
Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by demonpixel
I'm in Sugar Land, 90 and Eldridge. I know it's insane short notice but I've got plenty of beer and pizza if you're down to help!! lol
oh trust me I don't need anymore beer today LOL

but I'll give you a holler..
Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

here are some pics:

Last edited by demonpixel; 03-07-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

Man that doesn't look good, but the rest of the engine looks great

Just a brain fart but maybe try assembling the mounts to the k-member first, then try to bolt the mounts onto the engine with an impact. Other than that, you may need to ship that k-member back to umi and get another one, or get your money back..
Old 03-07-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Might try that here in a lil bit. Anyone know if the k-member is exactly the same on each side?

Here's a pic of the motor mounts:

I'm pretty sure those are installed correctly, so I guess it's the k-member? i'm stumped
Old 03-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

try fitting a pry bar under the clam shell and see if it gives enough to start the bolt through. I had the same issue with my racecraft k member
Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Default umi k-member: I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM

ok I measured both sides of the k-member's mounting point heights, and one side is one inch HIGHER than the other:

driver side:

passenger side:

Please don't tell me this is normal....can anyone confirm this?

thanks again for helping out, this community kick ***
Old 03-08-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Looks like a problem somebody would have with AJE stuff.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Demon I replied to your PM, the problem is the Prothane mounts, they were made incorrectly. There is nothing wrong with the UMI product, it is the ******* mounts. Feel free to post my PM. I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy what I went through with those Prothane motor mounts. After Prothane agreed there was a problem and sent me new mounts everything was perfect. I truly hope they fired the ******* that put them together, total moron.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Stick a prybar between the K member and the clamshell and pry it over till it lines up, or while prying stick a flat head in the hole from the back then while prying also pry with the screw driver till you can get that bolt in, im sure it will be very hard to do but probably do-able. Good luck with it and lookin good man.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to pry it. had same issue with BMR and those mounts.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with Prothane motor mounts on both my LS1 street car and 3 LT1 race cars I've built.

I have a 12' pry bar with a pointed end. I shove the pointed end into the mount and lever it in place on the opposite side, insert the bolt and gently tap into place with a small dead blow hammer. Works like a champ.

I honestly don't think it's a manufacturing issue. I think the mount works because it's preloaded and acts more like a solid mount without all teh noise and hassles.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Demon, as I recall the UMI supports are at a different height, call Ryan at UMI he will verify that. Believe me it's the Prothane mounts that have the metal insets set into the polyurethane in the wrong direction. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out why the rear of my motor and tranny were shifted to the passenger side.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

WOW, did not expect so many responses. Let me tell ya guys, after 6 more hours of working on it today, a broken big *** craftsman screwdriver, using an engine hoist and four jacks, trying to hammer the bolts through, using prybars that are curved, straight, big, and small in every ****** creative way you could possibly think of, and two bloody fingers, it's still off, so I'm reeeeeeeally wondering if I should just throw in the towel and get mounts from the chevy dealership down the street.

bigdsz, I think I am reliving your past bro, this is a NIGHTMARE. my gut feeling is that a pain in the *** and a total horrow show are two different things.

i'm really starting to believe that it's the mounts too. i know that umi goes through a big qa process and i also know that bigdsz is not the only one to have had bad mounts from prothane. i've heard that the umi k-member is direct bolton (even though i've also heard that when the umi k-member bolts to the car body it's pretty difficult and you may have to drill).

i ordered my prothane mounts from summit, not prothane, so who should i call?

thanks for all the help, tryin my damndest to not be such a newb!!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Staging Lane

Have you tried to loosen the bolts of the motor mount to the motor so it will give you some wiggle room? In other words, thread in the motor mount bolts a couple of turns by hand and stick in the long bolt. Maybe.

Quick Reply: k-member not lining up with motor mounts?? please help!