Myth or Truth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Myth or Truth?

I was talking to the new guy at work today and we started talking about f-bodies. He was talking about how his old WS6 was really fast, like unusually fast, but it was completely stock.

Then he told me how someone he knew used to work at Pontiac and they were telling him that at night after the factory shut down (I thought that they had a night shift at the factories) they would throw performance parts on the cars. He claimed that even as much as incorrect engines would be dropped into random cars, just so they could play around with them. Anything from air lids to cams to heads to entire engines. He told me that's what a "factory freak" was. They'd put parts in and just say "**** it" and leave the part on the car.

The other thing I thought was weird about that is that I'd be suspicious, as a dealer, if a car came in brand new with like 5 miles on it or so. They usually have ~.4 miles...

What do y'all think? Bullshit?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you would notice a different set of heads, or a cam, or a lid or anything like that...
Old 08-07-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with ranger but that would be cool if they did so?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gullible isn't in the dictionary
Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Lol I never said I believed it. In fact I wanted to call bullshit, but at the off chance that it's true, I didn't wanna look like a jackass...
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

They can get mileage on them from being transfered from 1 dealership to another. My 99 T/A had 40 miles on the clock when I bought it new.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt say its impossible, but VERY unlikely. The reason being, if it were true, one of the idiots doing it would have leaked it out and it would be allll over the net.. I have to call
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure they did, but nothing too crazy.

But think about Dodge, "Oh hey lets put a V10 in that!".
Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Actaully i have heard the same thing from a guy that used to work at the factory where the assembled fbodys. There are a few stock cars out there that dyno as much as 350 rwhp... idk what all they did at the factory, be the guy said everyonce in a while they would slip in an engine that was just a little stronger than the rest
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Yeah, but if it is true, it leaked out. Cause now I heard about it, which has now transfered to everyone who reads this thread.

I might believe something like a lid or filter, but had I been in that situation, I wouldn't have even bothered. I mean how much power can you get out of such minor mods. Not to mention the fact that it takes less than a minute to swap out items like that. So why not swap them back?

I always attributed "factory freaks" to the fact that each part built, no matter how identical, are actually different. It might be a matter of only a few 1/1000s of an inch. But when you put all the right parts together, coincidentally you get a perfectly built machine. Something similar to the tolerances of a Ferrari or Lamborghini...
Old 08-08-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
I always attributed "factory freaks" to the fact that each part built, no matter how identical, are actually different. It might be a matter of only a few 1/1000s of an inch. But when you put all the right parts together, coincidentally you get a perfectly built machine. Something similar to the tolerances of a Ferrari or Lamborghini...
Bingo, factory freaks are no more than a combination of stock parts that work together well. The "rumor" of odd parts is just that a rumor.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Teching In

or the "wednesday" or "friday" cars that were built on payday... employees more happy about building the cars so they give it a special treatment...
Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think the reason for the "freaks" is actually just quench
ive measured some of the 98-99 ls1 engines at up to .016 out the bore
and perhaps with the cam off by a tooth summed up to the "freaks"
ther was one dumbass i know that swore that his bro in laws lt1 ws6 came s/c stock from pontiac
Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Who ever told you that has never seen how a car is actually built on an assembly line. Most every thing comes prepackaged, the plant is just the final assembly point. I wish I would have taken a picture of it, but my 93 still has the GM build sticker on the under side of the roof, it's the area where it would have had T-tops. I also found the interior trim tag when I did the interior conversion. Factory freaks, there were always a couple for what ever reason ran a little bit better or made a little more power, but nothing crazy.