Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking about doing a 6.0L build in a v6 fbody

Here is what I'm thinking thus far...

Buy a v6 roller 98-02 any style, Hardtop, ttop, vert.,
Put a 6.0L iron block (like the one in my 2500),
A T-56,
Stroke the 377ci to 427ci,
Gears, DS Loop, ST brace, Roll cage 8-point,
Heads, cam, headers (1 7/8"), duals or LM1, etc.

Here is where I need more help... I know some of what I need but don't have all the info yet. I know that I need a new K member for the engine mounts, and new a-arms, I am wanting to get a tubular to save weight and gain the strength while it is out of the car. I also need the steering linkage for the LSx based engines vs. the 3.8L, I know the difference there. And of course a new CPU and wiring harness to match the engine. But, does the CPU need to match the tranny as well or will it not matter.

This is NOT going to be a DD, so I will be going with a huge cam, I like the MS4 but, with the big inches I think I can go bigger, and a loud exhaust. I hope to learn alot about building engine set ups. I also want to go N/A with this one, maybe later setting up a Nitros engine set up. I will be doing the cam install and the stroker kit myself at my mechanics shop, he is kind of "mentoring" me for free.

I sold my '99 Z/28 'vert in January and really miss it now. So I thought of this little idea. As well as starting it now so it is ready by next summer. I am joining the military and that is how i'm funding this project. Should be fun.

My DD is a '04 Chevy 2500 LT, CCSB, 6.0L, 2x4.

Please help if you know anything or think this is a good/bad idea.

P.J.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get a CPU for a manual trans car that should work fine. It's going to look for the neutral safety switch and whatnot. You may be able to tune that out, but for simplicities sake I would get a CPU from a manual car.

Yes on the LS1 coupler, but you need the rack too. otherwise the steering wheel will be like 90 or 180* off, I forget which it is.

Grab an LS1 gauge cluster. You have to do some HPT rework to get the v6 cluster to work with the v8 signal. At least, v6 cars cannot just put a v8 cluster in and get the 150mph gauges...it reads inaccurately.

I'd go for a 99+ Y87 car unless you are going to swap in a rear. That way you will be guaranteed rear disc + LSD. If not, get any one you want. Y87 cars are more expensive, but if you have access to an LS1 rear with an LSD in it, there is no reason to get a Y87 car because that essentially came with the LSD and different steering, which you will be getting rid of anyhow. Just make sure you get a later model with disc rears.

Snag an LS1 driveshaft. V6 is either 2 piece steel (complete crap) or 1 piece steel (heavy). Either manual or auto will do if your T56 came out of an Fbody.

You are going to need rear suspension, and some sturdy SFCs wouldn't hurt.

I'm not sure what sort of flow rates that motor will need but you will probably want to investigate a pump.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Wow. Is all I can really say. Thank you for the info that you have stored in your brain and have shared with me. I have been talking to the bank today and I hope this goes through soon. However, I am buying a house soon and that is going to sway me a little. But, the sooner this happens the better.

Anyone else have any info?

P.J.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Launching!

**** dude. Sounds like way too much work to me. I'd LOOOVE the V6 insurance rate, but idk if I'd tackle that project. A couple years ago I wanted to buy an LS1 swap V6 camaro. That ****** was CLEAN and I think the seller was only asking like $6k. I'd still love to have that car...
Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

I know that it is going to be a good size project, but I really want to start doing somethings like this on my own. I like the idea of learning.

P.J.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

The v6 rack has a different angle to the steering shaft than the v8...the shaft will end up rubbing the motor mounts if you don't change the rack.

You need to spend some time in the conversion section...there's a lot of info over there, sounds like you already have the major things in mind, it's the little **** that will drive you crazy.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Yeah. I was just saying from a stand point of being a mechanic. I never realized the differences between v6 and v8 model camaros. But my brother did a 98 M3 transplant into a 97 323I. Only took him about 6 months to do.

If you really wanna do it, then I say go for it. I wish I had more advice or tips for you, but I've never done a transplant on an F-body.

^^^lol **** the little ****....
Old 09-26-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Mechanically speaking there's not a lot of difference... wiring can be fun. Unless it's a track car you will not be able to cut too many corners. You don't want to sit on the side of the road. The a/c lines will have to be changed (or cut and different ends re-crimped, so that they will bolt to the back of the v8 compressor).....Radiator... that's the more obvious things... Wiring is the "little" stuff.... by the time you get ready to do the wiring the majority of the "work" will be done, so you will be excited and ready to see it run so any wiring that isn't quite right will **** you off because you're that close and it's still not running. It's not a big deal...just have to do your homework....

When you get the car and motor, start getting you pin-outs for the gauges, body harness/engine harness connectors, for both the year engine and car.

Conversion section will be your friend...good luck
Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem. You have to know what the differences are when you have a v6 and need to scavenge parts.

Good luck on your project.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty excited about doing this. I found a great donor engine, hope to pick it up next weekend, and start putting the upgrade parts on it. Then I'll start working on the rest, but with this just being a weekend project I don't expect to even buy the V6 car till close to Christmas. So I'm sure that I will be back on here asking more questions then.

I found a 7.0L stoker kit for the 6.0L iron block, then looking at a custom ground cam that will allow a good aggressive adle, but handle a Procharger later on. I'm not sure what kind of power a stroked 6.0L will be pushing so I will most likely get used to that for a little while before going to the supercharger.

P.J.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

I've got a 95 v6 roller for $500. black hardtop
Old 09-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Banned

pm me i can get you deals on the parts and help you with the install
Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM
On The Tree