what do you guys think, which higher mileage diesel? duramax or cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what do you guys think, which higher mileage diesel? duramax or cummins?

ok im looking to get a 03-05ish diesel truck, and know nothing bout diesel's! this will be my daily, and tow my car to the track and what not. im looking to get a quad car 2 wheel drive dodge or chevy. but all the ones in my price range have around 150k on the clock so keep this in mind! ill do bolt-ons like exhaust intake and programmer. so with fuel mileage/maintenance/and best truck for a daily what are yall opinions? give your explanation also please! thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cummins have been out way longer that the Duramax. I have a 04 C4500 Chevy Kodiak, weighs 11,000 lbs and gets 13.5 not pulling. Gets 8 pulling our 48' trailer that weighs 18,000 lbs. I am not a Dodge fan, so I can't say anything good or bad about them.
Attached Thumbnails what do you guys think, which higher mileage diesel? duramax or cummins?-bug-magnet.jpg   what do you guys think, which higher mileage diesel? duramax or cummins?-hrpx06-21-08xx3.jpg  
Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

you can't go wrong with either of them really. IF the truck was taken care of and you take care of it and what not they will run till they literally fall apart. It's not uncommon to see cummins to have over a million miles.

Duramax has more luxury's and cummins is more plastic as far as the interior.

Like anything though you pay to play to mod the trucks. Make sure you do it right and don't go cheap or else you can toast your engine. Diesel engine's aren't cheap.

I have heard that if you get the inline 6 cummins it has been known to get over 20mpg.... (I have never owned one though) I had a 2000 Ford Powerstroke 7.3 and just sold it with 173k on the clock and the thing ran great.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

there is a magazine that featured a cummins dually with 1.4 million miles. the truck looked clean. went through minor matinence items. it was a 99 i believe. but it was all towing miles i think he had a car hauler business. i would go dodge but im partial to them.. lol make sure you get the 6 spd if your towing though. its nice. the auto is good but if you drive it hard with a load and a programer you can expect some issues
Old 01-27-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what i have read ( no first hand experience) Diesels trucks are designed for 300k miles. But they frequently go way over that. As long as the rest of the truck is well maintained, the engine is the last of your worries. I honestly dont sweat high mileage. I usually buy cars and trucks with 100k + and have better luck than my friends who buy brand new. Seems all of the big bugs are worked out before 100k and then they run forever after that. I have a honda civic that i drive back and forth to work, that has 308,xxx miles on it right now, and my boss has a brand new saturn Vue that has already been in the shop 2 times since he bought it this summer. I start my honda up when its Zero outside, and have no problems with it. Got off on a tangent i know
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

An 03-07 5.9 Cummins 2wd quad cab can get you 23-26mpg (hwy) with a cold air intake, exhaust and a tune. Stock, they are probably good for around 20-21mpg (hwy).
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Ross-
An 03-07 5.9 Cummins 2wd quad cab can get you 23-26mpg (hwy) with a cold air intake, exhaust and a tune. Stock, they are probably good for around 20-21mpg (hwy).
yo ross, u should just give me a really good deal on yours! lol, what size wheels and tires are on yours?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Launching!

I've got a cummins with 235K miles on the clock and gets 23mpg stock. It has pulled fifth wheels and travel trailers its whole life being its my company truck at our RV dealer.

Have done the normal maintenance and have had no issues thus far.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

If you've never had a diesel I would probably do some heavy duty research into all of them. These engines are very expensive and need lots of love. Also a diesel engine is just breaking in when it gets about 100k on it so I guess 150k would be fine on them, but don't hold me to that because you just never know. For the sake of gas mileage since these things don't get such good gas mileage, I wouldn't modify it. 550-600ft-lbs. of torque is way plenty for something you want to do plus gas mileage will drop. In the end you will be paying a lot for one if your using it as a daily driver. Dodge and Gm have both good diesel engines and they are both very good reliable engines. Go out and look at both and see which ones look better to you or find the best deal for one and go with that.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

both are good choices, id take the cummins tho. like the way they sound with a exhaust set up lol
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 00fastta
For the sake of gas mileage since these things don't get such good gas mileage, I wouldn't modify it. 550-600ft-lbs. of torque is way plenty for something you want to do plus gas mileage will drop.
I absolutely disagree. The basic mods (CAI, Exhaust, Tune) on diesel trucks pretty much ALWAYS yield better gas mileage.

I'm probably somewhere around 500 hp and 1000 lb-ft (flywheel) and I am getting about 4mpg better than stock.

The only way you will see a drop in mpg is if you're driving around town like a fool gunning it from stoplight to stoplight.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

i would say duramax i have owned a 2003-04-05-07 they were great trucks bought a 07 dodge cummins and had alot of issues....if your interested i got a buddy that has a 05 crewcab 4x4 duramax with some 20's got 130k on truck but only 30k on new motor from dealer with warranty.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Both are great motors, make great power, and get great mileage. It just comes down to what exactly you want.

Duramax has independent front suspension (rides a little smoother, more expensive to lift if you're into that), interior is nicer IMHO, and a little more room from in the back seat.

Cummins has solid front axel which is easier to maintain and tougher, quad cab has significantly better turning radius than the duramax, and are generally a little bit cheaper than a duramax.

I was in the same boat as you last summer and ended up going with an 05 cummins 4x4 quad cab and have been really happy with it. It had 79,000 miles, ranch hand replacement bumper, and I got it for 22,000; similar duramaxs were going for 25-26,000. Biggest thing to get used to is maintenance costs, I replaced all fluids/filters and am looking at tires now and it's definitely a step up from a half ton. Been a great truck though and I get about 20-21 on the highway (stock except for old bully dog programmer in economy mode).

Quick Reply: what do you guys think, which higher mileage diesel? duramax or cummins?