Cost to turbo an LS1...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5w20
If all you are looking for is 650/700 just get a forged 347 on stock heads...

Imo it would be easier and probably cheaper to just install a procharger for that power level.
going back to this...

what do you think about an HKE longblock + procharger + fuel system + built rear ?

should i keep the m6 with this setup?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
But everyone knows auto's are slow lol.. I can't wait to turbo my car, going to be a cheap *** though lol..

The turbo is an APS kit, idk how good they are. If you are somewhat close I would love to help you install it since I am afraid to tear down my car haha.

Any thank you someone that doesn't like bogarts haha, I have always been to scared to say it.
dont be scared of these guys... their bark is worse than their bite

I won't be doing the work myself, the car will be taken to houston - more than likely Gforce, so if you wanna pop in every now and then and check the status for me, I'd be your bff
Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obseSSed
dont be scared of these guys... their bark is worse than their bite

I won't be doing the work myself, the car will be taken to houston - more than likely Gforce, so if you wanna pop in every now and then and check the status for me, I'd be your bff
Sure, they are right up the road. But you have to let me drive it once..

Or at least take me for a ride.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TURBOS ARE GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G-Force will take good care of you!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Pimp

I think you should call the shop you want to use and tell them your power goals. Then they will go over your options and help you pick what's best for you.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by _Zac
I think you should call the shop you want to use and tell them your power goals. Then they will go over your options and help you pick what's best for you.
Why does this sound like a Porsche forum response. GTFO out Zac!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

obsessed im doing research myself. if i go with more cubes im taking a 6.0 iron block, boring it .30 over, which equals 370 cubic inches. then im going with a masterpower t-70 turbo, an ebay hotside, 60+ lbs injectors, an epp blower cam, 317 6.0 heads worked over, stock gm crank polished, forged rods, forged boost pistons to lower compression to about 8.5 or 9 to 1. 38 mm tial wastegate. name brand blowoff valve. hell i might just forge my ls1 and save money. obv a stronger rear end. automatics have too many problems and i love to row gears to im staying with my m6 and gettin a twin disc clutch. of course you can always go with the 4l80e for an automatic tranny and stall it.....its a good way to not shift gears and launch like a bat out of hell. pick your poison i say but make sure you do the rear and suspension so you can handle the power. possibly driveshaft too. inland empire makes badass custom driveshafts. go to the forced induction section, the guys in there can answer any question you might have, they are smart as hell and many already have turbo cars. good luck and its badass to see a cute girl driving these beasts. mr powell knows whats hes talking about as far as turbos are concerned too. look at the numbers his 911 is making in his sig. that things a beast.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 PM
8 Second Club

If you want 650-750rwhp just built a 408ci motor, throw a decent set of heads on it, nice cam, D1SC procharger, fuel system. Put a 12-bolt in and a McLeod Dual Disk clutch in.

Turbos are fun, but it's pretty expensive when you are trying to stay that low on power.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Sure, they are right up the road. But you have to let me drive it once..

Or at least take me for a ride.
yeah im gonna go with option b.

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
TURBOS ARE GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G-Force will take good care of you!
i know they will.

good idea @ zac, i still wanted to know a little bit of the direction I'd like to go in before I talk to someone in person/on the phone.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
If you want 650-750rwhp just built a 408ci motor, throw a decent set of heads on it, nice cam, D1SC procharger, fuel system. Put a 12-bolt in and a McLeod Dual Disk clutch in.

Turbos are fun, but it's pretty expensive when you are trying to stay that low on power.
yeah..its not that i wanted to stay that low, I was just pulling some numbers out of the air that I know a turbo'd ls1 would be capable of.

I'd like the best bang for my buck [doesn't everybody]

i think a build 408 + d1sc would be a little more reliable as opposed to a turbo car, am i wrong?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jb7241986
obsessed im doing research myself. if i go with more cubes im taking a 6.0 iron block, boring it .30 over, which equals 370 cubic inches. then im going with a masterpower t-70 turbo, an ebay hotside, 60+ lbs injectors, an epp blower cam, 317 6.0 heads worked over, stock gm crank polished, forged rods, forged boost pistons to lower compression to about 8.5 or 9 to 1. 38 mm tial wastegate. name brand blowoff valve. hell i might just forge my ls1 and save money. obv a stronger rear end. automatics have too many problems and i love to row gears to im staying with my m6 and gettin a twin disc clutch. of course you can always go with the 4l80e for an automatic tranny and stall it.....its a good way to not shift gears and launch like a bat out of hell. pick your poison i say but make sure you do the rear and suspension so you can handle the power. possibly driveshaft too. inland empire makes badass custom driveshafts. go to the forced induction section, the guys in there can answer any question you might have, they are smart as hell and many already have turbo cars. good luck and its badass to see a cute girl driving these beasts. mr powell knows whats hes talking about as far as turbos are concerned too. look at the numbers his 911 is making in his sig. that things a beast.
it's great to see that you know exactly what you want and how to go about getting it. I, on the other hand, am still in the staging lanes of my decisions. there are a lot of options, I'm just trying to pick what will work best for me. Going the route Chris was talking vs. turbo'ing the car will not make much difference cost-wise, only power-wise. And if I'm going to be spending similar amounts, I might as well get all the power I can.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 PM
8 Second Club

yeah..its not that i wanted to stay that low, I was just pulling some numbers out of the air that I know a turbo'd ls1 would be capable of.

I'd like the best bang for my buck [doesn't everybody]

i think a build 408 + d1sc would be a little more reliable as opposed to a turbo car, am i wrong?
Anything can be made reliable. It's just about how you treat it and how well you keep up with it. My car has been down once and it was due to bad gas (I was over cautious with it) other than that I've been pushing the stock motor for 4-5k miles.

Honestly though I'd go with a blower, because a turbo kit, unless you go with like an APS is going to have to be custom made, etc... Plus with the basic D1SC kit with an upgraded intercooler you should never run into any problems!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah im gonna go with option b.
Oh well, it was worth a shot. But yeah I could run by there every now and then if you wanted. I might get them to put a cam in for me pretty soon.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Prochargers are tried and true
Old 06-21-2010, 11:25 PM
8 Second Club

I'd say I could check on it but I end up getting thrown out of G-Force every time I'm up there!

Ok not really, but you need to watch out they have some monster *** spiders living on the back shop door... They went to town on them with brake clean but I mean holy crap they were big!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Someone has been feeding them breakfast tacos.

+1 on 408 for more under the curve
Old 06-21-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

What is it that you want/expect out of the car? How fast do you want to go? Drag race only? Street driven? You need to decide what you want out of the car and the rest will work out.

347 w/forged internals
turbo
headers
intercooler
auto tranny
9" rear end
fuel sytem to support expected horse power
suspension
gauges
tuning

More to come.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

try the "SEARCH" function maybe? it works for everyone else and this topic has been beat to absolute DEATH over the last 10 years...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Noah Burns
try the "SEARCH" function maybe? it works for everyone else and this topic has been beat to absolute DEATH over the last 10 years...
A lot of those threads are old... Hell if I searched I am sure I could find my post from back in 2005 when I was looking at building one for my old F-Body.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5w20
Prochargers are tried and true
very well put!

Quick Reply: Cost to turbo an LS1...