Xbox 360 xperts, houston area repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xbox 360 xperts, houston area repair

i need a xbox 360 cd drive removed and new one installed. i was curious if there was a place around houston that could do this. ive seen tutorials but would still need to order the torx and some other tool i saw on llama. if i could buy the drive and have it replaced here in town that would be awesome. thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
i need a xbox 360 cd drive removed and new one installed. i was curious if there was a place around houston that could do this. ive seen tutorials but would still need to order the torx and some other tool i saw on llama. if i could buy the drive and have it replaced here in town that would be awesome. thanks
If you lived closer to me I'd do it. Make sure you get the same brand drive that came with it, you'll need to swap out the DVD drive board (it's matched to your motherboard). Just curious, what's the issue with the current drive?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

apparently it wont open. i was told if the drive was replaced it would work. thanks for the response. where would i find the correct dvd drive board?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

apparently it wont open. i was told if the drive was replaced it would work. thanks for the response. where would i find the correct dvd drive board?
To find out which drive you have go to Llama's Xbox 360 Drive page. You wouldn't need to get a new dvd drive board, you'd have to remove the old board from your current DVD drive and install it into your new once since the DVD drive board and the motherboard are matched.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

I live in Houston, and I replaced the CD drive for my xbox last summer. It's actually really easy to do if you need help doing it.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tech thanks for the link. And tripps where you at in houston? Did you live in college station a few years back?
I thought I mightve met you at a car meet back in the day
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 PM

It's really easy. Like posted earlier, just make sure you get matching DVD drive/motherboard matching serial numbers.

While you are in there, might as well google a Red Ring of Death Fix Kit and get that motherboard off the case. It's basically just spacers, and takes 10 minutes. Might as well do it while you are there. for 15 bucks worth of hardware, you get peace of mind that your tower will not overheat. Ever. Let me know if you need some more help than that, that's one way me and my brother make some side cash
Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Tech thanks for the link. And tripps where you at in houston? Did you live in college station a few years back?
I thought I mightve met you at a car meet back in the day
Yeah I'm pretty sure I've met you before also. I'm at TC Jester and 10. For the swap you need screwdrivers (phillips and torx), a soldering iron, and the new dvd drive. I bought mine for ~50 bucks online.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tripps
Yeah I'm pretty sure I've met you before also. I'm at TC Jester and 10. For the swap you need screwdrivers (phillips and torx), a soldering iron, and the new dvd drive. I bought mine for ~50 bucks online.
What do you need a soldering iron for? I've never had to use one.....
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You only need a soldering iron if its one of the newer drives from late 09 to present a Liteon 8xx or 9xxx series drive. You have to first get the key off your old drive and flash it to your new one, if you dont copy over the key, it wont play games and will only play DVD's.

torx screwdrivers aren't necessary, but makes it easier to open the xbox, I just used a small phillips.

There are different methods of getting the key depending on what kind of drive it is, Liteon, Samsung, BenQ or Hitachi. mostly it involves taking the drive out of the xbox and mounting it to your PC and running a program like Jungleflasher. Its not hard, but you have to do your research. If you jack up your old drive and don't have your key, Your xbox will only play DVD's

once you have your key, you mount your it to your PC and use a program like Jungleflasher to copy the key into a new firmware and flash it to your new drive

The key is stored on a chip on the Board inside the old drive, so you could just open up the drive and cut the old board out and solder it into your new drive. in that case i guess you would need a soldering iron.

Last edited by mike171562; 07-29-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Soldering iron was used for switching the board from the old drive to the new one, so that you don't have to do any flashing. Takes 10 minutes max.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

got an x-box for sale; if anyone is interested

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...60-4-sale.html
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Weird, I've never used a soldering iron. I just swapped the DVD drive board off my old drive into the new drive and she worked just fine, plays DVDs and games.

Quick Reply: Xbox 360 xperts, houston area repair