How to request police dash cam video??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to request police dash cam video??

I was pulled over in Katy by a state trooper standing under an over pass.

He was standing there looking for expired inspection/registration.

I was driving my dads F150 and didnt know the inspection was expired so he told me to pull over.

This guy was the biggest jack-*** i have ever encountered, yelled at me for no reason and searched my gym bag dumped everything out including my gum haha even made me show him everything in my wallet..

i was VERY polite until he kept questioning me about drugs and searching the car and even then i just shook my head and laughed and told him he could search w/e he wanted i had nothing to hide..

well he reminded me MANY times that everything was on video, even had me get out of the car and stand infront of his car.

i dnt care to fight it ill just get the inspection done and pay the $10 .. but it would be a hilarious video if i could get my hands on it. Anyone know how w/o a subpoena?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Ha kool. State troopers are big time ********..I wouldn't have let him check my ****.. I would have been like suck my piece n punched it buawhaha. I bet that video is erased by now dude
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^no it's not. they have to keep it for a certain time. so if it just happened they will still have the tape. i'de say your best bet is the dps web site.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lawyer will definetly get it for you, not sure if us regular people can make them give it to us. If you take your ticket to trial you can make them show it to you.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

ya this just happened this afternoon.. and it was so hard for me to keep my mouth shut.

I am VERY respectful to cops even when they are being rediculous, but this guy was a JACKASS!.. He wouldnt even let me talk lol i just started laughing, i was like are u on drugs man? he was freaking outtt
Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Launching!

they have been messin with me lately too, i was pulled over 4 times the same week by the same cop on i10 for the same stupid reasons. i bet its the same guy. i go home a different way now. and i started driving a company truck, somehow he spotted me in that and gave me a ticket for going 60 in a 35, which i wasnt. and i may get fired over it cuz i just started this job and it was my 3rd day when i got the ticket. anyone have any suggestions? im going to fight it but should i get an attorney? its impossible that he actually clocked me doing that. sorry not trying to hijack ur thread, it just reminded me
Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by who281
This guy was the biggest jack-*** i have ever encountered, yelled at me for no reason and searched my gym bag dumped everything out including my gum haha even made me show him everything in my wallet..

i was VERY polite until he kept questioning me about drugs and searching the car and even then i just shook my head and laughed and told him he could search w/e he wanted i had nothing to hide..
Happened to me before in Post, TX for having no front plate. He made me sit in the front of his cruiser while he took 20 mins searching my car. Think his steering wheel got teabagged by someone while he was taking a peek through my car.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Why would you consent to a search? All it does is cause more problems for you and take more time. If you think being nice is going to get you out of a ticket, you're wrong. Especially with this economy, cops don't give out warnings anymore, not to mention this guy was out to give tickets. I would've told him to write me the registration ticket and take a hike.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually had a state trooper standing INSIDE a toll booth right me a ticket for expired inspection sticker in my wifes car leaving my wedding a few weeks ago...
Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TXMaro
I actually had a state trooper standing INSIDE a toll booth right me a ticket for expired inspection sticker in my wifes car leaving my wedding a few weeks ago...
!!!

what a *****. if i had to do that for a job i dont know what i'd do.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Why would you consent to a search? All it does is cause more problems for you and take more time. If you think being nice is going to get you out of a ticket, you're wrong. Especially with this economy, cops don't give out warnings anymore, not to mention this guy was out to give tickets. I would've told him to write me the registration ticket and take a hike.
i just didnt want to start **** this guy was FREAKING out.. and being young (20) cops will do w/e they can to F with me anyways.. so i try to be respectful so i dnt have cops getting pissy, but this guy was just flippin ****.

he ended up only looking through the center console, but then takes EVERYTHING out of my gym bag and all he kept saying was "you know this is all on camera right!" and i wasnt doing a damn thing? lol i knew i was getting a ticket but idc inspection sticker and $10 is less of a hassle than having some cop try and **** me over.. so i just took the **** lol

if i get the video im posting that **** up here tho, it was SOO funny
Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
they don't?

<-------------- 2 warnings in the last 2 weeks
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a copy of the vid then file a complaint. You may have thought it was funny but the guy is disrespecting and harassing other people, the first way to out him is to put it on paper.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Webster cop do that to me a few years ago. I was as a “suspicious” vehicle that was marked in the area. He came to the door, and asked me to “get out” after getting my info. I had already had the window halfway down and rolled it right back up and locked the doors with the keys when asked to “get out.” He wanted to do a search, and I respectfully told him, “I do not consent to a vehicle search.” I had nothing to hide, I just didn't feel like getting ordered around. So 2 something hours later from sitting in the Chinese parking lot . . . I was let go.

This guy called out the search dogs (plural, as in asked for more than one to show up after the first one came up with nothing) . . . found nothing. The guy made all kinds of threats, did the whole good cop, bad cop . . . “you know…. We can do this and that . . . we can search your truck . . . had his backup hover over me . . . whole nine yards. The truck at the time was lifted . . . so they had to pick up one of the dogs to get him in the bed of the truck . . .

No apologies . . . here’s your stuff, you can leave.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Dash cam video can be requested by anyone through an open records request. The ticket should state where and who he reports to, usually a JP. TxDot will also provide you with the information you need. They use DVRs in the trunk that are usually wiped clean after a certain amount of time of storage. File a complaint with his supervisor and im sure the footage will be viewed.

Now for my experience: Harrassed, cuffed, searched (non consent), bogus ticket. This done by 3 dallas pd officers in three cars....none of them had video! Two didn't have it turned on, and one said a DVR cable was unplugged in the trunk. They still got theirs, but not with the help of dashcam video.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

I have always had pretty good luck with State Troopers and avoided the dicks, but one time a local cop asked to search my car and I refused, ended up spending 2hrs waiting while they called out drug dogs and did everything they could to get a reason to search. Since then I've just let them and they usually just do a 10min look through and then move on. Treat them with respect, and they typically give it back - but there's always a guy with a stick up his ***.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by who281
ya this just happened this afternoon.. and it was so hard for me to keep my mouth shut.

I am VERY respectful to cops even when they are being rediculous, but this guy was a JACKASS!.. He wouldnt even let me talk lol i just started laughing, i was like are u on drugs man? he was freaking outtt
Where was this at in Katy?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 427LS7HCI
Where was this at in Katy?
Yeah. for those of you who have had this happen in katy. Was it a thick black guy who is about 5"8" or so and driving a DPS pickup? If so, it's the same guy that pulled me over and harrassed me in the Camaro. He was looking all over for something to write me a ticket for. Finally he told me the tint was illegal. I let him know that I knew the law and that it was legal. I asked him to pull his meter out and check. He quickly backpedalled and told me it was my lucky day he wasn't giving me a ticket.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Head Hunter
I have always had pretty good luck with State Troopers and avoided the dicks, but one time a local cop asked to search my car and I refused, ended up spending 2hrs waiting while they called out drug dogs and did everything they could to get a reason to search. Since then I've just let them and they usually just do a 10min look through and then move on. Treat them with respect, and they typically give it back - but there's always a guy with a stick up his ***.
^ It's either let them search your car and be done quickly or wait hours for the dogs to arrive. If they ask to search your car and you refuse they will dick you over.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

This was turning around under I-10 at Fry rd.

and yeahh he was a thick black guy about 5'8.. kinda older

He talks really tense and won't let you finish a sentence lol

The guy was STANDING underneath the over pass in the middle of the road stopping each car and checking their stickers..

Quick Reply: How to request police dash cam video??