Anybody a broker??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody a broker??

I'm interested in becoming a broker. I'm already studying for the series 7 exam and so far im digging it. I wish I thought of this before! So whos a broker? I would like to get some info and advice.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Extremely tough market right now. People still invest, but it isn't near like it was in the past. Alot of people diversify alot more between fixed interest holdings and so on. Personally I do all my investments/Securities online (my dad uses a broker, so I'll talk to his on occassion). To get a job in the market you'll need to show your investment portfolio, and be able to display some sort of return. Series 7 is basically to make you a licensed broker.

I know a few brokers, and the ones that are successfully eat, ****, and live investments. IT's like a game to them. Just remember, it's not like Boiler Room, there is alot of research involved such as, market anaylisis, product analyisis, development, taxes, interest rates, and the list goes on. I only invest in markets that I am experienced in, such as circuit technology, oil and gas, and a few others.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redz_02
Extremely tough market right now. People still invest, but it isn't near like it was in the past. Alot of people diversify alot more between fixed interest holdings and so on. Personally I do all my investments/Securities online (my dad uses a broker, so I'll talk to his on occassion). To get a job in the market you'll need to show your investment portfolio, and be able to display some sort of return. Series 7 is basically to make you a licensed broker.

I know a few brokers, and the ones that are successfully eat, ****, and live investments. IT's like a game to them. Just remember, it's not like Boiler Room, there is alot of research involved such as, market anaylisis, product analyisis, development, taxes, interest rates, and the list goes on. I only invest in markets that I am experienced in, such as circuit technology, oil and gas, and a few others.
Well i gotta start an investment portfolio asap. I have to show that I can make a profit. But thats going to be kinda hard when your young and don't have a lot of money lol. I have to start somewhere. What onlike trading company do you use?

The reason that I want to get into buy/selling securities is because I love the risk involved. You're right its a game, but you can make a lot of money if you win. I would mostly focus on tech, auto, and energy markets or anything that I have a interest in.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use CharlesSchwab. Their fees aren't that bad and there are alot of resources available. A bonus for poeple starting up is that they don't require a minimum balance.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Cool man. You helped a lot.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a broker, but I'm a software developer for an insurance brokerage
Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a trader and i use Interactive Brokers. They have a virtual trading account that is real time so you could make trades on there to prove yourself.

I'm not a professional but i got started by proving myself paper trading, and i eventually got real money from a wealthy guy and i traded his money making 20% of profits until i had enough to start on my own..

Friend of mine is doing the same thing, he already has quite a few people ready to put in money.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IB is good. I still use MB Trading since I've had an account there for so long. I'd recommend you get a masters if you haven't already. Almost everyone I've met in the investment world has one. What school you went to seems to really matter in the investment world from what I see.