Possible pitted cam??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible pitted cam??

Hey guys, I'm planning on swapping out my lifters soon because that is what I think is making the ticking noises coming from my engine. I already bought all the parts needed for this job. I bought the car right after a cam was installed (I know, many of you will say that was a bad decision). I have ls7 lifters to put in now. The cam I have is about 3 months old. Should I be worried that there is significant pitting? IF so, should I change the cam as well, because if the cam is pitted, won't it just pit the new lifters when I put them in? I guess my main question is, should I just go buy a new cam and do it all over again... orrr just do the lifter swap hoping the cam isn't too badly pitted.

This is what I got in there right now:

patriot 660 lift springs with titanium retainers and keepers
manly push rods
lunati f1 cam with 227/228 duration .595/.598 lift with 112 lobe seperation
Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

what makes you think the existing cam is pitted?
just the ticking lifters? maybe there is a thread with back story im missing, but it could just have to do with preload on the lifters, pushrod length or whatever else.

why would that have pitted the cam? unless your lifters are tore up.

have you pulled them to inspect yet? i would inspect the lifters and see how the rollers look before buying a new cam. no fun pulling the whole front end apart if its not needed.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dudeiwin86
what makes you think the existing cam is pitted?
just the ticking lifters? maybe there is a thread with back story im missing, but it could just have to do with preload on the lifters, pushrod length or whatever else.

why would that have pitted the cam? unless your lifters are tore up.

have you pulled them to inspect yet? i would inspect the lifters and see how the rollers look before buying a new cam. no fun pulling the whole front end apart if its not needed.
ok sweet. thats what i figured too. im his buddy, and the guy who is helping him do the lifter swap suggested a new cam. guess he will just pull the lifters and see whats going on. thx!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Put some new ported heads while your at it!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Swan
Hey guys, I'm planning on swapping out my lifters soon because that is what I think is making the ticking noises coming from my engine. I already bought all the parts needed for this job. I bought the car right after a cam was installed (I know, many of you will say that was a bad decision). I have ls7 lifters to put in now. The cam I have is about 3 months old. Should I be worried that there is significant pitting? IF so, should I change the cam as well, because if the cam is pitted, won't it just pit the new lifters when I put them in? I guess my main question is, should I just go buy a new cam and do it all over again... orrr just do the lifter swap hoping the cam isn't too badly pitted.

This is what I got in there right now:

patriot 660 lift springs with titanium retainers and keepers
manly push rods
lunati f1 cam with 227/228 duration .595/.598 lift with 112 lobe seperation
Are you sure it's not a small exhaust leak? Also, have you properly adjusted your rockers? What makes you think it's your lifters?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You measure the rods?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I do smell a significant exhaust leak, so the ticking could be that as well... While it is taken apart, I'll be putting in ported 241's. I have not taken it apart yet to fully diagnose the ticking. I took a look in the top of the engine and noticed that all but 2 of my patriot springs were not all the way tightened down. That could also contribute to the clicking? I was pressed for time, and had to put it back together and have been busy ever since. But i already have the lifters soaking in oil (for the past few weeks actually haha), so I would like to just go through with it and know there are good lifters in there. I will know more when it is taken apart, but I just was looking for some input as to whether or not you guys though my cam was too damaged from the pitting of the lifters, or if that was even what was going on. Thanks for the input! Anyone else put in your 2 cents, please.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would definately check the cam for damage if you think a lifter is not pumping up anymore. I had this issue happen on my personal car. I was forced to drive it with the tick for about 2 weeks because it was my DD at the time. When we finally got around to fixing it, we pulled the cam and it was badly scratched on the couple lobes where my stock lifters had issues. The smallest scratch on a cam will cause problems so I would definately look at the cam before reinstalling it. Mine had to be replaced, along with the majority of cars I have seen with lifter issues. Good luck with it!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive seen pitted cam lobes on #2, 5, 7, and 8. oh yea exhaust only from what ive seen. oem cams, aftermarket. its going to sound like lifter tap. ive pulled intake manifold and valley cover and have gotten lucky enough to see whhich ones are pitted. either way your it looks like your pulling your heads so replace check them and if need be replace them. on all valve train parts i would soak in oil while your tearing down to make sure there is not dry start on start up.

Quick Reply: Possible pitted cam??